Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Evergreen Privacy screening for the garden suggestions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Evergreen Privacy screening for the garden suggestions

Hi i haven't a clue about what grows well in Caithness so I'm looking for advice on bushes basically, what ones look nice with flowers for bees, and attract birds into the garden, i like the idea of mixing different species around the perimeter so its not all the same.

I would suggest Escallonia - it is pretty hardy, salt and wind tolerant, leaves are on it all year round but then flowers too. Try some of the wild fushia - plenty of bees and wildlife with those two once they get established.

Since it's evergreen you're after, Escallonia Macrantha is probably best. The local fuchsia (Riccartonii) grows well but it isn't evergreen.
    Last edited by Anji; 15-Jul-16 at 09:42.

Can I come back to your original post? You want evergreen, and I totally agree with orger friends who have suggested Escallonia macrantha. But you also want diversity, and shrubs to attract bees birds and butterflies. You cannot have all your wishes granted with a monoculture hedge. It has to be mixed, and it cannot be all evergreen. Escallonia macrantha, privet, Lonicera leydbourii (American honeysuckle), hardy fuchsia, golden elder, Blackthorn, Sea buckthorn, Buddleja, Ribes, Cornus? Please stick with a mixed hedge, much better for wildlife and more attractive to the human too. Some evergreen, some not. Keep an open mind.
    There are neither rights nor wrongs in gardening. Only experiences.

I planted a mixed hedge (60 feet long) in a very windy spot about four years ago. The only thing that didn't do well in it and had to be replaced was the Cornus. Most successful were the Sea Buckthorn, Fuchsia, Cotoneaster, Escallonia and Weigela. The hedge is now well established and popular with bees and birds alike.
    Last edited by Anji; 16-Jul-16 at 14:26.

Totally agree with everything Anji has recommended. Must add that I have several Cornus now up to eight feet or more, and I'm very exposed! But every location is different. The two golden rules are
    1. Take advice from locals
    2. Feel free to ignore their advice, and try whatever you like!
    There are neither rights nor wrongs in gardening. Only experiences.