Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Labour

Default Labour

Where now for Corbyn, obviously he has a minority support from the parliamentary party, but no credibility with majority , deputy leader has told him today that he will face a leadership challenge but Corbyn has enormous £3.00 member support, so the majority of his MP's dont want him, yet he can win support from the party membership. Given his complete ineptitude /lack of leadership with EU and failure to engage labour heart lands to support remain ( lets face it he's a leave guy anyway )this places labour beween a rock n a hard place, in a leaderless vacuum / very divided party, tories...if anyone thinks that after blue n blue fighting they will all cosy up going forwards, then theyre dreaming. Westminster post Friday appears to be a complete shambolic mess.

Labour and most of the unions said without the EU they were irrelevant as they depended on them for policies and backup, a strange kettle of fish, are the Labour party and the unions finished with their admissions ?.
    Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong.
    Muhammad Ali

We need Labour simple as that or settle fo Toriies / UKIP / some greens and LD's : As of 13 00 : There have been 17 resignations from Labour cabinet if Corbyn is challenged and stands again, his support in the membership means he is possibly likely to win If that happens, there could be it is predicted "a certain amount of bloodletting and revenge being taken" against those MPs who have worked against him, .in other words a large lurch tothe hard left. Interesting though that London Young Labour write:"Not only did Jeremy Corbyn fail to deliver passionate Labour messages about staying in the EU, he also refused to work with Britain Stronger In Europe, despite polls showing this would turn out Labour votes. "Warnings were ignored, meetings cancelled and a desperately needed Labour message was lost. This result will have effects on everyone, but especially the poorest in our society- for decades tocome.......so Corbyns bluff may well be called if this is representative of the party as a whole !!
    Last edited by rob murray; 27-Jun-16 at 14:15.

It's a shame that there are so many sheep in this country that need to be told what to do by their "Leader" & won't do what their "percieved Enemy" wants on a matter of principle without actually thinking for themselves.

I'm pretty sure that if Cameron had backed Leave then more Labour voters would have voted Remain & the result would have been different.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Alrock View Post
    It's a shame that there are so many sheep in this country that need to be told what to do by their "Leader" & won't do what their "percieved Enemy" wants on a matter of principle without actually thinking for themselves.
    That's what Labours problem is at the moment.

They've lost their connection with their "traditional" voters. Jeremy Corbyn was voted leader by left wing idealists in the party, and now MP's are resigning based on his leadership.

The MP's don't support the party members views, Corbyn and the Labour voters didn't support the EU. Huge disconnect between Leader, party, MP's and voters.

The party used to support working people but are now too focused on the unemployed and unemployable.

The political classes within the Labour party are blaming the Brexit on Corbyn not persuading his voters to say NO. I don't believe anything Corbyn could have said would have changed the mind of working people in traditional labour areas from voting Brexit.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

Quote Originally Posted by theone View Post
    That's what Labours problem is at the moment.

They've lost their connection with their "traditional" voters. Jeremy Corbyn was voted leader by left wing idealists in the party, and now MP's are resigning based on his leadership.

The MP's don't support the party members views, Corbyn and the Labour voters didn't support the EU. Huge disconnect between Leader, party, MP's and voters.

The party used to support working people but are now too focused on the unemployed and unemployable.

The political classes within the Labour party are blaming the Brexit on Corbyn not persuading his voters to say NO. I don't believe anything Corbyn could have said would have changed the mind of working people in traditional labour areas from voting Brexit.
    Tend to mostly agree with you, but fact is the guy couldn't be bothered and grass roots folk ie young london are rightly calling him out on that, whether he would have made any difference is neither here nor there but loads of people have picked up on the fact that he was at best very lack lustre and is anti EU anyway going by his past record. A party totally lost and rudderless, the clock is back to 1982 for labour who are fastly becoming in a time of need an irrelevance, a side show for ideologists

Default Yes

Quote Originally Posted by theone View Post
    I also largely agree but I have a further thought/question on your last point above...

I am thinking that if Jeremy Corbyn had been a good leader from the outset last year, Labour could have gelled into a more interesting and persuasive voice overall,
    which could have meant more (or even all) their "traditional" voters would have listened to their pro-EU message?

Quote Originally Posted by sprint95m View Post
    I also largely agree but I have a further thought/question on your last point above...

I am thinking that if Jeremy Corbyn had been a good leader from the outset last year, Labour could have gelled into a more interesting and persuasive voice overall,
    which could have meant more (or even all) their "traditional" voters would have listened to their pro-EU message?
    I honestly don't.

The working classes, particularly those from the traditional industries that have been hit hard through reasons perceived to be related to the EU were always going to vote out. I work with many people from the north-east of England and from south Wales who are Labour voters but voted out. Not one of them have said they took any heed of what their MP or indeed Corbyn had to say.

These labour voters have fundamentally different reasons for following the party than those members who voted Corbyn into the leadership position.

There's a huge vacuum opening up in British politics. The Conservatives are winning votes as the most central party as Labour drifts further and further to the left, losing votes of the lower paid and industrial working classes.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle