Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Should the Tories support Indy 2 to save the money markets

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Should the Tories support Indy 2 to save the money markets

Should we now support the Scottish Indy 2 call to save the money markets and keep the European door held open for England and the Leave vote and have Scotland (if we can keep our EU status) act as a gateway. This would see the money folk move to Scotland instead of going to Ireland or mid Europe countries . Let's see if the unionists can see the greater picture and do what's right for the many than the few. This would also see the markets in Ireland left open to a scottish tight up of trade that would disappear with the Leave vote.

So so come on support the Scotland in Europe vote and back Indy 2 ( let's keep the trade channels open )

Quote Originally Posted by dozy View Post
    Should we now support the Scottish Indy 2 call to save the money markets and keep the European door held open for England and the Leave vote and have Scotland (if we can keep our EU status) act as a gateway. This would see the money folk move to Scotland instead of going to Ireland or mid Europe countries . Let's see if the unionists can see the greater picture and do what's right for the many than the few. This would also see the markets in Ireland left open to a scottish tight up of trade that would disappear with the Leave vote.

So so come on support the Scotland in Europe vote and back Indy 2 ( let's keep the trade channels open )
    Dozy, I can actually see your point here.
    As there is no facility as things stand for a breakaway state to take auto membership we have to assume that will not happen.
    Can you tell me, what year would an independent Scotland be accepted into the EU?
    I cannot see business hanging around waiting for Scotland to maybe get sorted, when they could just pop across to Dublin with relative ease.
    W.A.T.P.

It's just an idea that hopefully would spur folk into thinking of ways to make the best out of the situation we find ourselves in . Question .If Scotlamd could stay in the EU could we have a dual Scottish/ English passport for those who want to keep their Euro side . As I said could Scotland be the gateway.

If if the Tories had let the Scots referendum go through ,would we have had a EU referendum before 2020 if at all .

It's just an idea that hopefully would spur folk into thinking of ways to make the best out of the situation we find ourselves in . Question .If Scotlamd could stay in the EU could we have a dual Scottish/ English passport for those who want to keep their Euro side . As I said could Scotland be the gateway.
    Nothing wrong with a bit of brainstorming, there is no such thing as an English passport however.
    I stated yesterday that I will always vote No to independence, with hindsight I think I may have been too hasty, I am open to discussion on the matter but still very cautious, but if there is a way we can spin things to Scotlands advantage then yeah.
    I do think we have made a major mistake by voting the Brexit through.

If if the Tories had let the Scots referendum go through
    What do you mean?
    W.A.T.P.

If if the Tories had let the Scots referendum go through ,would we have had a EU referendum before 2020 if at all .

Past if's are of no consequence, as for the passport, out is out if Scotland leaves the UK. As I see it a Scottish passport would have to made available for non EU travel for Scots and that would or should include England, I cannot see Westminster lying down and been walked over just as the EU will try and dictate to the UK now a vote has been for out.
    If indy comes off there are a hell of a lot more problems for Scotland to resolve than the UK Brexit, at least twice as many. I would like the SNP to actually put on paper for the electorate to see just what it entails to be totally independent, as I personally do not and cannot get my head around it, when I think I have a solution to a problem a moment later there is numerous what if's to change my reasoning.
    Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong.
    Muhammad Ali

I can see an independent Scotland in the EU being an economic powerhouse as EU companies will just find it easier to go north to relocate and they will use Scotland as the gateway to the EU 540 million customers.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    I can see an independent Scotland in the EU being an economic powerhouse as EU companies will just find it easier to go north to relocate and they will use Scotland as the gateway to the EU 540 million customers.
    Its possible, but a lengthy process to gain membership.
    Why not just relocate to Dublin or Paris?
    Just as easy and already in the EU
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    How? 85% of Scotland's trade is with the rest of the United Kingdom. You're basically saying that a 2% increase in 15% of our trade will compensate for a 2% loss in 85% of it (and that's being generous). Outside the EU, the UK is better placed to remove regulatory burdens and make deals with the whole world, not just its smallest continent. You are suggesting turning Scotland into Greece.