Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Indy 2

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Indy 2

Scotland's first minister has said a second independence referendum is "highly likely" after the UK voted to leave the EU. The Scottish cabinet would meet on Saturday to discuss its next steps.

The sooner the better, make Scotland an attractive proposition for any businesses south of the border considering relocation to an EU state.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Alrock View Post
    The sooner the better, make Scotland an attractive proposition for any businesses south of the border considering relocation to an EU state.
    That assumes we will be an EU state and even if we are, in the time process involved are companies going to hang back until we are, then re locate ?

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    That assumes we will be an EU state and even if we are, in the time process involved are companies going to hang back until we are, then re locate ?

Not an easy procedure read this. http://europa.eu/about-eu/countries/...u/index_en.htm
    Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong.
    Muhammad Ali

Quote Originally Posted by tonkatojo View Post
    Thanks for the article, it should make it clear to everyone that gaining EU membership is not an easy done deal, but a complex situation which takes considerable time same as EU withdrawal which is even complex and a very time consuming lengthy process. Maybe some folk think its as easy as a phone call on Monday to EU and we are off...no more EU ta ta.......be prepared for a lengthy tortuous withdrawal process which will make lawyers fortunes

Might be best reading this as it is not straight forward. http://ec.europa.eu/enlargement/poli...p/index_en.htm

I have a feeling that the rest of the EU will play hardball with the UK to discourage other states from leaving & bending the rules/fast tracking Scotlands entry would be a good finger up to the Westminster Government.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

I have a feeling that the rest of the EU will play hardball with the UK to discourage other states from leaving & bending the rules/fast tracking Scotlands entry would be a good finger up to the Westminster Government.
    There is no fast track system thats wishful thinking they have to follow a legal process as posted by tonkatojo

Might be best reading this as it is not straight forward. http://ec.europa.eu/enlargement/poli...p/index_en.htm
    Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong.
    Muhammad Ali

The UK still has a Aa1 rating, the same as it did last week but that is just for moodys.
    What they have done is changed it from stable to negative, meaning that previously the economy was ticking along but now they expect it to decline. Which we all did on a Brexit I think.
    standard and poor still have us at AAA negative and fitch at AA+stable

The same three organisations stated pre 2014 ref that an independent Scotland would not be able to match the UK rating, and moodys put us at a potential A rating.

I don't know about the BOE allowing us the pound but it's a EU pre requisite that new member states must adopt the € so it's a bit of a moot point.

What we must remember is that in 2014 Scotland voted in its majority to remain as part of the UK democratic process, Thursdays vote was part of that democracy, but as the result was not what we wanted the toys are being ejected and we are stamping our feet.
    Last edited by mi16; 25-Jun-16 at 23:10.

Here is me thinking the greens were the ones cursing/hating all fossil fuels, just shows it depends if or which way the wind blows.
    Or if it blows at all.

Crikey boys! Talk about getting ahead of yourself!

Theres a a panel of top advisers being assembled from across the political spectrum - cross party and both sides of the constitutional debate. The economic situation is different today than it was 2 years ago. Let's see what they say.

Tonights antidote to the poison that exists today comes courtesy of London's pride event.

http://www.itv.com/news/london/2016-...-the-question/

I hope he was on an official break, otherwise he should have been policing not wasting our taxes on his personal business!!!
    W.A.T.P.

I voted NO to Independence as did the MAJORITY.

I voted to LEAVE the EU as did the MAJORITY.

"Majority"
    can be used to specify the voting requirement, as in a "majority vote". A majority vote is more than half of the votes cast.

Wales reached the quarter-finals of Euro 2016 as Gareth McAuley's own goal gave them victory over Northern Ireland in a tense last-16 encounter. Perfectly fair game, Wales won the match fair and square. But shall we just use the logic of the Remain Camp and the Yes voters (Scotland) here for a minute - Northern Ireland should demand a replay and keep demanding replays until they win - or is that just not fair ?

Quote Originally Posted by cptdodger View Post
    I voted NO to Independence as did the MAJORITY.

I voted to LEAVE the EU as did the MAJORITY.

"Majority"
    can be used to specify the voting requirement, as in a "majority vote". A majority vote is more than half of the votes cast.

Wales reached the quarter-finals of Euro 2016 as Gareth McAuley's own goal gave them victory over Northern Ireland in a tense last-16 encounter. Perfectly fair game, Wales won the match fair and square. But shall we just use the logic of the Remain Camp and the Yes voters (Scotland) here for a minute - Northern Ireland should demand a replay and keep demanding replays until they win - or is that just not fair ?
    This would appear how democracy works in 2016, funny old country the UK, how we expect to be respected by other democracies beats me. I thought these antics were for certain Mugabe or Amin type countries.
    Muhammad Ali

I think most older brexiteers were voting for Bygone Britain but they're waking up to a Brave New world and a second indy ref is the first likely consequence as it looks as if the scottish sun and the Daily Record seem to be edging towards backing independence, we live in interesting times...
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by squidge View Post
    Crikey boys! Talk about getting ahead of yourself!

Theres a a panel of top advisers being assembled from across the political spectrum - cross party and both sides of the constitutional debate. The economic situation is different today than it was 2 years ago. Let's see what they say.

Tonights antidote to the poison that exists today comes courtesy of London's pride event.

http://www.itv.com/news/london/2016-...-the-question/

Are you saying this information is now needed or the previous information is out of date ? or there was no previous information on indy 1.
    Muhammad Ali

Are you saying this information is now needed or the previous information is out of date ? or there was no previous information on indy 1.
    Well of course I'm saying some of the previous information is out of date. The EU stuff unsurprisingly, the oil calculations - let's have some new ones based on new figures. The ones we had were right at the time but need to be redone for today's information, the argument over currency needs to be sorted out once and for all but as I recall the governor of the Bank of England did say after the Indy ref that of course Scotland could have used the £ so I guess that one is pretty much dealt with.

If if we are having Indy ref 2 and it's not guaranteed remember, it is simply on the table - then we need new information.

The pound would surely now be the currency of the remainder of the UK seeing as how everything has changed with the vote. If Scotland becomes independent and stays in the EU then it will be the euro for us, I feel. The queen will not be the head of state anymore either, I would imagine.

Scotland's first minister has said a second independence referendum is "highly likely" after the UK voted to leave the EU. The Scottish cabinet would meet on Saturday to discuss its next steps.
    So, the argument for Remain was "We're better off in a close trading block with Europe, because 45% of the UK's trade is with the EU". Fair enough. The argument for becoming a small European province is "We are better off in a close trading block where just 15% of Scotland's trade goes, and closing off the remaining 85%". I have a feeling that logic is not with you there.