Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Spikedrivers

Default Spikedrivers

Tonight, 4thMay, there is a group called the Spikedrivers playing in Y Not.
    This is a London based blues trio with an American lead guitarist and they are reputed to be dynamite. Played the Orkney Blues Festival twice and took it by storm. Everyone I know who has heard them has raved about them.
    Admission is £3.
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

One of the best blues acts I have seen in years. I wonder why so few people turned up to hear such a class act. It is hardly surprising that we see so few quality bands in Caithness when the response is so poor. £3 for quality against £7 for disco garbage and tribute bands. Anywhere else and the real music would get the support it needs but not Thurso. At this rate the good music will continue to bypass Thurso and continue on to Orkney.
    Nothing changes.

in a house wi lights, but it is a light house

awesome band......pity there wasn't a few more bodies.

Y-not should have put on burgers then the crowds would have flocked in

Quote Originally Posted by Gleber2 View Post
    One of the best blues acts I have seen in years. I wonder why so few people turned up to hear such a class act. It is hardly surprising that we see so few quality bands in Caithness when the response is so poor. £3 for quality against £7 for disco garbage and tribute bands. Anywhere else and the real music would get the support it needs but not Thurso. At this rate the good music will continue to bypass Thurso and continue on to Orkney.
    Nothing changes.
    To be fair the club was dead as well last night. And the folk that were there were there to hear dance music, pop and rock, so i very much doubt they wouldve considered going to see that band regardless.

I never seen it advertised anywhere but here and outside the Newmarket. Shame though...

I have had words with the management and more realistic advertising should be in place next time. This band was truly refreshing and it is a great pity that so few turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gleber2 View Post
    I have had words with the management and more realistic advertising should be in place next time. This band was truly refreshing and it is a great pity that so few turned out.
    It as a shame, as we seem to be enjoying a bit of a resurgence in the music scene at the moment.

There is good support for the local bands and shows. However it seems most bands traveling north do not get near the support we enjoy.

Do you think it has something to do with the poor quality we've had to endure over the last decade or so? Or has the generation that enjoyed live music in the early nineties simply given up on the scene?

Quote Originally Posted by Chobbersjnr View Post
    awesome band......pity there wasn't a few more bodies.

Y-not should have put on burgers then the crowds would have flocked in
    They were a great band. For me the stand out performance was from the singer guitar player who sounded so authentic i mean he sounded black at times and played some sweet slide guitar!! But what the hell happened to the turn out???!!!!! Are we suprised tho?

Taz
    TazHowlinGael

Hrm, I don't get what you mean by are we surprised?

I'm sure the band were great, but that's how things are, if it's not advertised properly, then people ain't gonna turn up.

EDIT: Was there any support?

Default What i meant by suprised!

[quote=Jeid;220294]Hrm, I don't get what you mean by are we surprised?

I'm sure the band were great, but that's how things are, if it's not advertised properly, then people ain't gonna turn up.

EDIT: Was there any support?[/quo

What i meant by suprised was just exactly what you have just said the advertising was not great i mean the advertising is everything.
    TazHowlinGael

Yeah sure is man. There's gonna be no crowd otherwise.

James Bond couldn't get through Thurso undetected, so I can't believe such a show simply passed people by. Granted, advertising has to be taken into account, but I wouldn't count on reading the Groat to keep me informed.

When I took my band and Linton Osborne up north recently, I was a wee bit disappointed at the lack of turnout despite putting up posters all over town, advertising it on the Net and so on. Especially disappointed at the lack of turnout from those who post on here so regularly, too. If you want bands of Spikedivers, Aberfeldy etc.'s quality, you have to make the effort and get along to support live music in the county.

Where was everybody? Reading over their Argos catalogue or watching the football, no doubt.