Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46

Thread: cyclists are indestructible

  1. #1

    Default cyclists are indestructible

    summer has come and the cyclists are out enforce. i have noticed that a lot of these people have a complete disregard for their own safety and the highway code alike. they seem to think it is ok to go along the the road riding three or four abreast oblivious to cars being behind them. they ignore traffic lights and just go straight through even though they are red. they stop at junctions look at cars coming towards them and pull out regardless. these are all responsible adults supposedly so they must be indestructible.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    2,872

    Default

    riding two abreast can be a useful tool to prevent cars from overtaking at unsafe points, cars will tend to try and slip past a single cyclist where there is not adequate space to do so, however you should also be mindful of other road users.

    As quoted and illustrated in the highway code:
    give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car




    The amount of abuse I have had from the motorist for adopting a road position similar to the above is unreal, it seems that most motorists would like to see cyclists either:
    A. off the road
    B. cycling on the verge of the road

    Very few pass cyclist with the space illustrated above, many are so close you could adjust their radio station.

    As for the red light running etc this is unacceptable and should be reported to the police.
    Last edited by mi16; 19-Jun-16 at 16:06.
    W.A.T.P.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Thurso
    Posts
    163

    Default

    Some cyclists are very rude and have terrible hand jesters.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    North Shields
    Posts
    2,186

    Default

    There needs to be a total rethink of the rules and regulations regarding cyclists and enforced properly, none of this rubbish we endure at present.
    Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong.
    Muhammad Ali

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Thurso
    Posts
    163

    Default

    A cycling test, road worthy test, reg plate and insurance.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    riding two abreast can be a useful tool to prevent cars from overtaking at unsafe points.
    Except it doesn't really prevent anything. Just means you'll see overtaking that is even more unsafe.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    2,872

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gaza View Post
    A cycling test, road worthy test, reg plate and insurance.
    What sort of roadworthy test would you suggest for a bicycle?
    Do you seriously think that the government should be developing a DVLA type registration and liscencing system for bicycles and cyclists?
    Have you considered the cost to the nation with no means to collect anything from it.
    Do you reckon the police force have the resources to enforce this idiotic system?
    Whats next, reg plates on bairns prams and buggies, skateboards, scooters, horses hips?
    Re the insurance thing, most home insurance policies cover the occupants for third party cover away from the home and if you are not covered via a policy in any way then that does not make you exempt from paying for third party damages, it just means you have to stump up out of your own pocket.
    Last edited by mi16; 09-Sep-16 at 08:09.
    W.A.T.P.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    2,872

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    Except it doesn't really prevent anything. Just means you'll see overtaking that is even more unsafe.
    Except it does, the cyclist is out wide at pinch points or blind bends which prevents the motorist squeezing past then moves back left when it is safe to pass.
    A perfectly normal and encouraged cycling manouvre.
    W.A.T.P.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    2,872

    Default

    totally agree, strict liability.

    Quote Originally Posted by tonkatojo View Post
    There needs to be a total rethink of the rules and regulations regarding cyclists and enforced properly, none of this rubbish we endure at present.
    Last edited by mi16; 09-Sep-16 at 08:10.
    W.A.T.P.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    Except it does, the cyclist is out wide at pinch points or blind bends which prevents the motorist squeezing past then moves back left when it is safe to pass.
    A perfectly normal and encouraged cycling manouvre.
    Suicide is painless, so they say.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    2,872

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    Suicide is painless, so they say.

    And why would it be suicide?
    Surely death by dangerous driving would be the correct term.
    W.A.T.P.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    John o groats
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Ummm try living in groats with cyclists. They think they own groats and motor vehicles are not allowed to drive in groats. Very very naive thinking. Buses farmers motorhomes and ferry traffic use these roads along with n500 drivers a receipe for an accident waiting to happen.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    Surely death by dangerous driving would be the correct term.
    Doesn't mean much when the prosecution witnesses are dead.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    North Shields
    Posts
    2,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    And why would it be suicide?
    Surely death by dangerous driving would be the correct term.
    I would have thought, Surely death by dangerous riding would be likely the more correct term.
    Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong.
    Muhammad Ali

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    2,872

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tonkatojo View Post
    I would have thought, Surely death by dangerous riding would be likely the more correct term.
    Only if the victim was on horseback
    W.A.T.P.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    2,872

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    Doesn't mean much when the prosecution witnesses are dead.
    This of course is true but just because a clash between a vulnerable road user and a motorist will result in serious injury of the vulnerable user it does not mean that the vulnerable user should stay off the road.
    with that logic we would only see artic lorries on the road and pedestrian crossings banned
    W.A.T.P.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    This of course is true but just because a clash between a vulnerable road user and a motorist will result in serious injury of the vulnerable user it does not mean that the vulnerable user should stay off the road.
    I hope that any injured "vulnerable" uses his convalescence to think about how they might avoid further accidents.

    I actually do think the dead'uns should stay off the road.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    North Shields
    Posts
    2,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    Only if the victim was on horseback
    Tell me how would you "ride" your bike ?, surely not on horseback, I was under the impression this was about cyclists "riding" their bikes.
    Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong.
    Muhammad Ali

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    2,872

    Default

    I cycle my bike
    W.A.T.P.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    2,872

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    I hope that any injured "vulnerable" uses his convalescence to think about how they might avoid further accidents.

    I actually do think the dead'uns should stay off the road.
    I guess they could attempt to educate the motorist regarding the importance and consequence of adhering to or non adherence of the Highway Code, or they could spend it in discussion with his/hers legal team about taking litigation against the motorist.
    the dead ones could haunt their killers in prison where that have been separated from their loved ones because of their impatience and agression towards more vulerable road users.
    Last edited by mi16; 25-Sep-16 at 15:15.
    W.A.T.P.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •