Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: World War 1

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default World War 1

Hello all,

I just wanted to know whether it would be of interest to anyone, or not, but I have transcribed the "official" War Diary for the 5th Seaforth Highlanders for World War 1 (the unit's own diary, that is). I wanted to know whether anyone would be interested in seeing the details posted on a regular basis to this message board - given the 100 year anniversary of WW1. Possibly I could post once a month, showing the details for that month 100 years ago.

I know that many Cathnessians served in units other than the 5th, but for those who served with the 5th there may be people interested to know where their relative had been, and what they were doing, I thought posting the diary entries may provide a start point for research.

I must emphasise that the diary entries do not provide a great deal of information for the general day-to-day activities, but when the unit was involved in major operations the entries can provide quite a bit of detail about the battle, along with some named individuals, but for anyone even remotely curious, the diary can state where the unit was based in France at any given time.

If people are interested I can add to this thread the details I have, but you must bear in mind that I could not decipher every single word, and as a result there is the odd question mark "?" denoting my ineptitude at reading. The 5th Seaforths went over in early 1915, so I have missed entering that early detail, but their first major success or involvement was at Beaumont Hamel in November 1916.

Anyway, people can let me know whether they would like to see this information posted.

Kind Regards,
    Steven
    Last edited by sgmcgregor; 18-Jun-16 at 16:40.