Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: M.o.t. Advisories

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1

    Default M.o.t. Advisories

    I recently replied to an advert for a car for sale as: 12 month M.O.T. FSH one owner. Find one cleaner. Then done a vehicle check on the D.V.L.A. site to find the following advisories on the latest M.O.T:

    nearside rear door inner trim and door handle missing
    slight exhaust leak and exhaust in poor condition
    front brake discs in poor condition
    offside front outer cv boot leaking grease slightly
    both front brake hose ends in poor condition
    nearside front bottom ball joint slight play
    hand brake requires firm pull
    nearside front to rear brake pipe slight corrosion.


    I asked the seller if any of the advisories had been rectified, to be told that they had not. Would you be happy to buy this car knowing these faults had not been rectified ?

    Needless to say I walked away from it.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    2,244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sam09 View Post
    I recently replied to an advert for a car for sale as: 12 month M.O.T. FSH one owner. Find one cleaner. Then done a vehicle check on the D.V.L.A. site to find the following advisories on the latest M.O.T:

    nearside rear door inner trim and door handle missing
    slight exhaust leak and exhaust in poor condition
    front brake discs in poor condition
    offside front outer cv boot leaking grease slightly
    both front brake hose ends in poor condition
    nearside front bottom ball joint slight play
    hand brake requires firm pull
    nearside front to rear brake pipe slight corrosion.


    I asked the seller if any of the advisories had been rectified, to be told that they had not. Would you be happy to buy this car knowing these faults had not been rectified ?

    Needless to say I walked away from it.
    An advisory is just that - advice. The vehicle has been declared safe to drive as it was on the day of the MOT.

    None of those faults would put me off buying a car - as long as it was at the right price - I'd just be prepared to have them repaired at the next MOT.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

    - Charles de Gaulle

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theone View Post
    An advisory is just that - advice. The vehicle has been declared safe to drive as it was on the day of the MOT.

    None of those faults would put me off buying a car - as long as it was at the right price - I'd just be prepared to have them repaired at the next MOT.
    Sorry can't agree ,anything to do with brakes,steering ,suspension or anything that's not cosmetic must be right or it's just plain wrong . If something on the list failed or broke and it caused an accident that someone you cared for was hurt ,could you really love with it . Just get it sorted for all our sakes .

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Thurso
    Posts
    2,907

    Default

    Once had an advisory regarding a chip on the windscreen (not in line of sight) Did not get it rectified right away as had changed Insurance company and was not wanting to join up and claim immediately. Forgot all about it until next MoT was due and put it in to the garage expecting the same advisory to show up, but it did not. Each MoT examiner has different pet hates.

    Would always want car to be spot on. An MoT is only proof that the vehicle was roadworthy on the day it was tested.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    castletown
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Last yr I put my car in for the MOT. Failed on minor things (nothing of note). The owner of the garage (cracking guy) was on hols @ the time. One basic fail was on out of an alignment headlight bulb(?). I then took the car down to Barrow (car still MOT"d)
    Got there & had son in law (mechanic) look over car. Lo & Behold car had a broken rear spring. The remains were completely rusty, suggesting being broken for some time. Moral: please don't take what is written on paper as the whole truth.
    This potentially fatally flaw was overlooked, allowing me to travel down the A9, M74, M6 & beyond. Is there a set "card" testers have to go through before coming to a decision? (gases, etc, excluded). Comments would clarify, tks.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Thurso
    Posts
    67

    Default

    I'd say the crucial thing was did the seller declare the advisories to you and did the price reflect the fact it had these advisories were needing attention? Nowadays I believe you can't sell a car with known faults without declaring them to the purchaser. In regard to buying it, depends on the individual, if I was looking for something cheap and willing and able to do a bit of mechanic work then wouldn't have a problem with this provided the issues were highlighted from the start so you know what you are taking on.

    I agree with the comments that a car should be in tip top condition but things do wear out and from time to time stuff needs repaired or replaced which highlight the importance of regular servicing and giving or getting your vehicle checked over every now and again. There is nothing on that list that can't be sorted by an average person at home with a reasonable tool kit the crucial thing is knowing what you are taking on and knowing what it will cost you to fix it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ackergill
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by olrig View Post
    Last yr I put my car in for the MOT. Failed on minor things (nothing of note). The owner of the garage (cracking guy) was on hols @ the time. One basic fail was on out of an alignment headlight bulb(?). I then took the car down to Barrow (car still MOT"d)
    Got there & had son in law (mechanic) look over car. Lo & Behold car had a broken rear spring. The remains were completely rusty, suggesting being broken for some time. Moral: please don't take what is written on paper as the whole truth.
    This potentially fatally flaw was overlooked, allowing me to travel down the A9, M74, M6 & beyond. Is there a set "card" testers have to go through before coming to a decision? (gases, etc, excluded). Comments would clarify, tks.
    When you state (car still MOT'd) do you mean the car then had the work done and new mot issued before you drove down the road to Barrow,

  8. #8

    Default

    Advisories are printed on the mot certificate and cannot be denied. I'd be happy knowing there were issues to be resolved and adjust the price if necessary. If in doubt have the car checked. All testers as mentioned have to be cautious if everything passed without Advisories then the tester can be investigated. If a car is covered in waxoyl it is usually an advisory because they cannot inspect brake/fuel lines properly and they cannot remove protective coatings / undertrays

  9. #9

    Default

    i think you will find that the seller has just rec'd a very big fine from trading standards
    if you check his descriptions on ebay you will find its amazing that all the spare parts he advertizes for sale (usually engines) are from one owner vehicles that all have done just 75,000 miles... coincidence???

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    2,997

    Default

    Any username that we could check out?
    W.A.T.P.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by broch View Post
    i think you will find that the seller has just rec'd a very big fine from trading standards
    if you check his descriptions on ebay you will find its amazing that all the spare parts he advertizes for sale (usually engines) are from one owner vehicles that all have done just 75,000 miles... coincidence???
    Was this part of the recent Police and Trading Standards "Operation Petra"?

    Surely he should be named and shamed! If this is the case and he's already been "Caught at it" surely people deserve to know who it is? So they don't fall foul of this sort of thing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •