Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Caithness Leave/Remain debate.

Exclamation Caithness Leave/Remain debate.

We are looking to arrange a balanced EU referendum debate on either the 18th or 19th of June in Caithness.

If we have the appetite, for it I am happy to push it forward. Let me know what folks on the Org think.

Regards,

Struan Mackie

I love a good debate, I really do, but the lack of one on this forum makes me think that there's little appetite for an organised get together.

By all means, give it a go, but I'm sure it will be hijacked by one group of self-imposed political experts only through strength in numbers.

The reality is, 90% of people know how they are going to vote already. A campaign for either side with 3 or 4 weeks to go is far too late. Much like the Independance referendum, I doubt I'll see anyone change their minds now, regardless of how many 'debates' are available.

Unlike the independance referendum, I think the population is less 'energised' for this. Everyone in Scotland was passionate one way or another to keep/leave the UK. Not so for the EU. I expect a lower turnout due to lower passion on the issue.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

It was just the sheer number emails I have into my inbox in the last couple of days with folks just wandering if a public forum would happen.

As the only eurosceptic running in the last election in the CSR constituency I think I had a few more questions directed at me on EU than the others... but regardless of whether people liked the answers or not at least they felt they were getting a kind of 'local' answer to the EU question.

Will keep pressing ahead for the moment. And post any information I do get.

very simple, the remainers will be remainers, the rest have made there minds up . to be honest i think its a waste of time , very few will turn up , we want out of this mire , people has had enough vote out , never mind cameron and his do gooders vote leave listen to boris ,gove foxy duncan, and they will be more shortly as the torys are falling out already

On the basis of cross party support for the debate, in addition to the level of interest elsewhere, it has been decided that the debate will go ahead.

Chair and panel as yet of confirmed... will be done so shortly.

Struan Mackie

I was against EU membership in my younger days but I have gradually become more accepting of the EU as time has gone by as we've become broadly better off from being in the EU. That said, I was always going to vote for the side that tells less lies than the other. And I am afraid to say that my younger self will be very disappointed on 23rd June.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Mackay's Hotel in Wick, Caithness

6:30 - 8:00pm on Sunday 19th June

I am sure that we can gather the usual calm, respectful debate. Until someone mentions what the Common Fisheries Policy has done to our fishermen and how we are all taxing British food to subsidise Italian olive groves; then I'm ducking out before the furniture starts flying!

The debate will between myself for Leave

And Alyn Smith MEP for remain

Quote Originally Posted by Hoggie View Post
    I am sure that we can gather the usual calm, respectful debate. Until someone mentions what the Common Fisheries Policy has done to our fishermen and how we are all taxing British food to subsidise Italian olive groves; then I'm ducking out before the furniture starts flying!
    Well for a starter for ten, the common fisheries policies set quotas which encourage sustainable fishing and the single market allows British fishermen to sell their produce in Europe without tarriffs.
    Last edited by Rheghead; 15-Jun-16 at 20:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Well for a starter for ten, the single market has allowed British fishermen to sell their produce in Europe without tarriffs.
    Find a fisherman who wants to stay in the EU.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

Quote Originally Posted by theone View Post
    Find a fisherman who wants to stay in the EU.
    There was one on the TV the other day.

There is something fishy about the brexit argument for fishing. I've watched Trawlermen and the overiding limiting concern was fuel costs, how far to go to make it worth their while. So it seems to me to be very puzzling why Scottish fishermen are concerned about the common fisheries policy, a Spanish fisherman would find it a struggle to justify the fuel costs to go to Scottish waters to fish for a few big prawns.

Seemingly the EU gives the UK the 2nd largest national fish quota out of the other 28 members but the thing is, it is the UK that is responsible for the regional distribution of the quotas which lends me to think it is the UK government that is causing the discord amongst British fishermen, not the EU.

when the licences were first given out in the 70's did the UK fishermen sell theirs to Spanish, french, etc fishermen or does my memory fail me