Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Campbells of Reay/Thurso

Default Campbells of Reay/Thurso

My wife and I are travelling to Scotland next month to further our genealogical research. Rumor has it that my family came from Thurso. My 3rd great grandfather, Angus Campbell, and his son, John, came from Scotland to Nova Scotia, Canada, when John was a young boy. John was born in 1805, so they most likely sailed for Nova Scotia around 1815. I have yet to verify that they came from Thurso, so I'm looking for your help to verify this, so we can visit Caithness! Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

A quick look at http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ shows six John Campbells born in Caithness between 1803 and 1807 none to a father named Angus. There is a John Campbell born 22 December 1805 in Reay but his father is recorded as John Campbell and his mother as Margaret Mackay.

There was a marriage/marriage contract of an Angus Campbell and an Elizabeth Mackay in Reay Parish in January 1790, and they had a son John, baptised in June 1806. There may be no records, for your Angus and John, though, if those aren't them, as all marriages were not contracted through the church, all children were not baptised and all church records are not complete.
    Last edited by Oddquine; 28-May-16 at 17:16.