Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: 3D Printing

Default 3D Printing

Bit of a long shot but is there anyone local with the facility to scan and 3D print a small plastic connector, no idea how much this would cost but its roughly 10mm x 6mm x 6mm with a slot in each end and a 1mm hole through it, its actually to repair a set of hair clippers, spare spart not available and new ones are £60 so i thought i 'd just chuck the idea out there to see if its ridiculous to think i could get one made with these fantastic machines at a reasonable price, thanks.

Try looking at the website Xcellent3D.co.uk, they are a company based on the outskirts of Helmsdale, the company I work for has used them for 3D printing, very helpful and very reasonable prices. They also have the capacity to do 3D scanning.

Many thanks for that, i feel a bit stupid asking but have contacted them anyway so we will see what happens, seems a pity to bin a perfectly good piece of kit for the sake of a broken tiny piece of plastic.

Hey- I dunno if you got it sorted

I use my 3d printer for doing this stuff often (last one was a sonar transducer bracket for a boat!)
    3d scanning on small components is pretty limited unless you spend a lot of money on the kit - I don't have one. If its a simple enough geometric shape - easier to redesign/copy.

If you can send me a pic of the item and I'll let you know if I can do it on my printer. If its only a few minutes work (from your description it probably is) I'll print one out for you (no cost).

Best wishes

Hi, thanks very much but the Company in Helmsdale have now got the piece and hope to have a few samples in a week or so but appreciate the offer, cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by XR2 View Post
    Try looking at the website Xcellent3D.co.uk, they are a company based on the outskirts of Helmsdale, the company I work for has used them for 3D printing, very helpful and very reasonable prices. They also have the capacity to do 3D scanning.
    Cannot recommend this Company enough, excellent results, Steve refused to give up until the required piece was perfect, faultless service.