Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Hawkwind in Caithness?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hawkwind in Caithness?

A while back I was sorting through some old letters and found a mention of a planned Caithness rock festival in 1977. I remember talk of it at the time : Hawkwind were the headliners...possibly the only band booked...but nothing ever came of it. I cannot for the life of me remember what the details were, but checking old Hawkwind tour lists, there's an entry for "Caithness Festival - Brubster - cancelled", so I haven't imagined it. Can anybody mind who tried to organise it or what actually happened?

I remember the Groat attempting to write anti-punk rock scare stories at the time.

Shame it wasn't just posponed... until now...
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Yes, I remember it well, although I can't remember why it was cancelled. It was going to take place in August and I had to make do with seeing Hawkwind at the Reading Festival a few weeks later. Yeah, I've seen Hawkwind a few times over the last 40 years !

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    A while back I was sorting through some old letters and found a mention of a planned Caithness rock festival in 1977. I remember talk of it at the time : Hawkwind were the headliners...possibly the only band booked...but nothing ever came of it. I cannot for the life of me remember what the details were, but checking old Hawkwind tour lists, there's an entry for "Caithness Festival - Brubster - cancelled", so I haven't imagined it. Can anybody mind who tried to organise it or what actually happened?

Quote Originally Posted by ianmac View Post
    Yes, I remember it well, although I can't remember why it was cancelled. It was going to take place in August and I had to make do with seeing Hawkwind at the Reading Festival a few weeks later. Yeah, I've seen Hawkwind a few times over the last 40 years !
    I've got a memory of it being a day of rain and wind, though having seen Hawkwind a couple of times since, I doubt that would have put them off. First time I ever saw them, they looked so out of it that a plague of locusts could have crossed the stage and they wouldn't have noticed.

Ha, that sounds about right. And they're still going strong. Was down seeing them in Glasgow a couple of months ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    I've got a memory of it being a day of rain and wind, though having seen Hawkwind a couple of times since, I doubt that would have put them off. First time I ever saw them, they looked so out of it that a plague of locusts could have crossed the stage and they wouldn't have noticed.