Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plants for Sale

From Castletown, take the Groats road. Just outside Castletown, past the old mill, take the first and only public road right (unsigned, heads to Greenland/Lyth). I'm the first house on the right up that road, white cottage on roadside.
    There are neither rights nor wrongs in gardening. Only experiences.

Hello gardeninginagale, I'd like to try to grow plants for topiary do you have anything for sale that would be suitable for this.
    Regards manzie

Box is the obvious choice but it is not fully hardy in Caithness. I don't have box anyway, because I only propagate plants from my own garden, that way I know they are Caithness-tolerant! Can I suggest Lonicera nitida Bagessen's Gold? Small gold leafed shrub, responds well to pruning and clipping into shape. Very hardy, keeps its leaves all year round. Very tolerant of hard pruning.

Thanks for the quick reply do you have any bagessen's gold? What about holly can that be used.
    Thank you very much for your advice it's much appreciated
    Regards manzie

Hi Manzie. I have 3 or 4 Bagessens at the moment. Don't have holly. Do know a bit about them though. The variety pyramidalis is as good as its name, and there is a dwarf holly, ferox, which clips well. The Bagessens are popular. Do you want me to reserve one for you? Mike.

Gardeninginagale if you could keep 2 for me that would be great, no I don't know a thing about hollies, I'm a plant it and hope for the best just a beginner, I'm not sure when I'll get out but I'll let you know before hand
    Many Thanks
    manzie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12