Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Innes and St.Clair

Smile Innes and St.Clair

I have been fortunate to have found some of my Innes ancestors on this site.
    They are Elizabeth Innes who married Alexander St.Clair of Dunbeath and Stemster. I have also, reason to believe, that my William Innes of Tombreakachie is linked to this Elizabeth.

Here is what I know for both Elizabeth Innes who married Alexander Sinclair and William Innes of Tombreakachie,:
    a) Elizabeth was the daughter of Alexander Innes, 13th of that Ilk and Christian Dunbar.. This Alexander was the son of James Innes 12th of that Ilk. James was the son of Robert Innes 11th of that Ilk.

b) William Innes was the son of Robert Innes 2nd of Innermarkie and Elizabeth Stewart. This Robert was the son of Walter Innes 1st of Innermarkie. Walter was the son of Robert Innes 11th of that Ilk.
    Therefore the common ancestor for Elizabeth and William id Robert Innes 11th of that Ilk.

More to come.
    William in Montreal

On 2 November 1529, Alexander Sinclair, designed of Stamster, had a Crown charter to himself and Elizabeth Innes, his spouse, of the lands of Dunbeith, Reay and Sandside, in the sheriffdom of Inverness, on the resignation of Alexander Innes, son and heir of Alexander Innes of that Ilk, incorporating the lands in the free barony of Dunbeath. Another Crown charter was granted to him and his spouse of the same lands 11 January 1529-30.. After Alexander Sinclair died, she married Arthur 'Black' Forbes. Arthur and Elizabeth had a daughter named Isobel born about 1540. Isobel went on to marry Alexander Innes 18th of that Ilk,

Since both ,Alexander and Elizabeth, had a charter for Sandside., Elizabeth was now able to to help her cousin William Innes who first lived in Sandside and later moved to Tombreakachie. more to follow.
    Last edited by Tomnamuidh; 16-Apr-16 at 21:35. Reason: added more text