Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CaltonJock - Flash in the Pan

Quote Originally Posted by bekisman View Post
    It's a forum poll on Caithness.org....which is voted on by people who can be bothered, which mostly appears to be people in favour of Brexit. It proves nothing bar the mindset of (currently) 63 people on Caithness.org. Not really a lot different to all those online polls you get on newspapers to increase their click through rate, when it comes to having any merit as a pointer to public opinion.

It interested me so much that I don't remember if I voted on it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddquine View Post
    It's a forum poll on Caithness.org....which is voted on by people who can be bothered, which mostly appears to be people in favour of Brexit. It proves nothing bar the mindset of (currently) 63 people on Caithness.org. Not really a lot different to all those online polls you get on newspapers to increase their click through rate, when it comes to having any merit as a pointer to public opinion.

OK, how about 45% to 55%?
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

Quote Originally Posted by Oddquine View Post

Totally agree with you, BUT, MS Sturgeon is now quoted ( BBC Scotland ) that she will use opinion polls to judge if Scotland favours indy2 / polls which show a majority consistently favouring another referendum, what do you feel about that ? as you say polls provide nothing but the mindset snap shots of a certain small part of the population at any given time. Is this then democracy ? The biggest decision ever taken in Scottish politics and its to be based on her / snp interpretation of opinion polls ? “If people want to have a referendum, then surely in a democracy that option cannot simply be ruled out,” she told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme....fair enough, but come on based on opinion polls ?? Why not have a referendum on whether we want another referendum, that will prove conclusive one way or another. Its this kind of garbage that really gets me on the SNP, their entire rationale is independance first, second third fourth etc etc etc. According to the manifesto she / SNP are suggesting a campaign to convince no voters of the merits of independance starting in the summer....then why come out with this polls nonsense now, shes wasting her time no voters are as entrnehced as yes, and currently, due to a legitimate vote no = 55% yes 45%.

The First Minister has no legal authority to call a referendum so she will always need to find some form of political pretext to demand she gets one hence a constant harping on and on BREXIT, opinion polls at just over 50% etc etc. Why wait until she thinks the time is right for her to demand a second referendum? If they ( SNP ) will not accept the “once in a lifetime” decision of the Scottish people then the Prime Minister ( if he can be bothered ) should ask us the Scottish people to take the decision over again, and this time with the clause that it cannot be revisited for 25 years. Surely the important issue at hand is that Scotland must quickly come to terms with its decision once and for, stop this constant political game being played which will damage Scotland if this, we want indy2 goes on and on and on, then it will hit growth and investment due to the constant uncertainty . A referendum should be held in October and that would be the end of it. Stay or leave ?

Read more: http://www.scotsman.com/news/brian-m...#ixzz47VXFCcLX
    Follow us: @TheScotsman on Twitter | TheScotsmanNewspaper on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    The First Minister has no legal authority to call a referendum so she will always need to find some form of political pretext to demand she gets one hence a constant harping on and on BREXIT, opinion polls at just over 50% etc etc. Why wait until she thinks the time is right for her to demand a second referendum? If they ( SNP ) will not accept the “once in a lifetime” decision of the Scottish people then the Prime Minister ( if he can be bothered ) should ask us the Scottish people to take the decision over again, and this time with the clause that it cannot be revisited for 25 years. Surely the important issue at hand is that Scotland must quickly come to terms with its decision once and for, stop this constant political game being played which will damage Scotland if this, we want indy2 goes on and on and on, then it will hit growth and investment due to the constant uncertainty . A referendum should be held in October and that would be the end of it. Stay or leave ?
    The only Scottish person who said the referendum was a once in a lifetime decision was Alex Salmond, as his own opinion, not on behalf of the SNP or anyone else. More than a million of us didn't and don't agree with him. I rather think that those who believe Alex Salmond WAS the SNP are those who are conflating his personal opinion with SNP policy, but even if he had not resigned as FM/ leader of the party, his statement was not, and is not SNP party policy.so I do wish Unionists was stop promulgating porkies.

Nothing stopping a consultative referendum, but the SG can't have a binding referendum, that is reserved to Westminster. However, a consultative referendum, which had an obvious majority for independence, would give Westminster the option to make it binding....and if they refuse, and try blocking tactics, there would always be the option of UDI. Given the UK has recognised Kosovo, they should have no problem with that. I don't however think that Westminster, for all its rhetoric, would refuse to sign another "Edinburgh Agreement" ......it would be really stupid of a country which has spent decades forcing "democracy" on other countries, usually at the point of a gun, refusing to accept the expression of democracy within its own borders.

Given there was a Brexit referendum within my lifetime, is it not rather hypocritical of Westminster to have another one, while insisting we are limited to one in Alex Salmond's lifetime....or is it, as usual, a case of Westminster saying not to do what they do, but do what they tell us?

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    Totally agree with you, BUT, MS Sturgeon is now quoted ( BBC Scotland ) that she will use opinion polls to judge if Scotland favours indy2 / polls which show a majority consistently favouring another referendum, what do you feel about that ? as you say polls provide nothing but the mindset snap shots of a certain small part of the population at any given time. Is this then democracy ? The biggest decision ever taken in Scottish politics and its to be based on her / snp interpretation of opinion polls ? “If people want to have a referendum, then surely in a democracy that option cannot simply be ruled out,” she told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme....fair enough, but come on based on opinion polls ?? Why not have a referendum on whether we want another referendum, that will prove conclusive one way or another. Its this kind of garbage that really gets me on the SNP, their entire rationale is independance first, second third fourth etc etc etc. According to the manifesto she / SNP are suggesting a campaign to convince no voters of the merits of independance starting in the summer....then why come out with this polls nonsense now, shes wasting her time no voters are as entrnehced as yes, and currently, due to a legitimate vote no = 55% yes 45%.
    Don't have a problem with that. She wouldn't be basing it on one poll on one forum at one specific time, anyway, but on a number of polls over a long period of time showing a pro-indy inclination. Her only other option would be to have periodic consultative referendums to gauge support, and when one came to a satisfactory conclusion take it from there, which would be a waste of finite resources.

At the beginning of the referendum the polls had both YES and NO at around 30% each as core vote, and I agree those are entrenched votes.........but that leaves 40% to play for....a low key campaign making some salient points via position papers, wouldn't go amiss.....thon White Paper was a mistake, because only political anoraks would have bothered reading something of that length.

How come you are talking about her having a referendum and thirteen minutes later, in your next post, you are telling us she can't?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12