Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Whaligoe Steps

Default Whaligoe Steps

Morning All

I am in the middle of a project that includes the Whaligoe Steps and whilst they are amazing and in a beautiful area they look lethal and for the fisher folk especially the women who used them everyday it must have been quite a feat climbing up and down them in all weathers and with loads on their backs. Is there anyone out there who can tell me whether there were any/many fatalities during the 19th & 20 century herring fishing boom (the period I am writing about)

Hope someone can help
    Thanks
    Two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the Universe.

Einstein

Sorry I cant help you with much information on the steps however if you ever get a chance to go out to them there is a resident in one of the houses David Nicolson who can help you with lots of information regarding the steps.... hes almost the unofficial guide of the steps...

Ian Sutherland,( Local Historian ), Wick, has written several super books about the history of Caithness.

I am quite sure he has written about the Whaligoe Steps, and if you go into Wick Library, I am sure there will be something of interest for you.