Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Sand Martin Help Needed

Default Sand Martin Help Needed

Hi all
    Can anybody tell me the best place to see Sand Martins in Caithness and or Sutherland area

Many thanks
    Martin
    Last edited by Martin England; 30-Apr-07 at 10:39.

Their nest sites sometimes change from year to year but try the east end of Dunnet Sands, near to the salmon bothy.

Ask Reghead I am sure there are some at Sandside and there are some here at Scarbster. Great little things.
    Away with the birds

Sandmartins can be found at sandside (west end of beach) and John o groats 50 metres from the last shop on the coastal walk to cannisabay. Their burrows can be seen in the sandy 'cliffs'. I'd love to learn of other locations, thanks
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Many thanks to you all, much appreciated
    Its one of those birds I haven’t seen for years back in England. But now I live up here I’ve noticed quite a few odd birds flying around. I will go and see all the sites mentioned here.
    Many thanks again
    Martin

Hi Martin,

You can definitely see sand martins any time at the bridge over the Wick river at Bilbster ( turn down through the farm where the roadside sign says Bilbster House). There was also a little gull around Bilbster yesterday, friday 18th; the first time I've ever seen one.

Hope you get to find some

Simon Harrison