Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When do robots become people?

Quote Originally Posted by davth View Post
    sjow me a robot that can feel pain and has emotions.
    This boils down to the old "if my aunt had testicles she would be my uncle" scenario
    I'm saying in the future if/when a robot is fully similar like a human then we will have to give them rights like a human.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    I'm saying in the future if/when a robot is fully similar like a human then we will have to give them rights like a human.
    And when/if humans evolve to be able to breathe under water or fly then will be be fished and/or shot down?

Quote Originally Posted by davth View Post
    And when/if humans evolve to be able to breathe under water or fly then will be be fished and/or shot down?
    Try to keep the conversation relevant. There is a plausibility that robot sentienience and appearance like humans will be developed possibly within a couple of decades or even less. There is absolutely no chance of humans evolving into anything soon or ever.

However,

here is an interesting clip from Star Trek that is relevant to this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJF-IRbTh0Q
    Last edited by Rheghead; 07-Apr-16 at 17:25.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

What you need to ask is... If a Robot is given a camera & takes a selfie (without being specifically programmed to do so) does it own the copyright on said image...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_selfie

& then, if it does own the copyright does that not infer that it must also have human rights?
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    There is absolutely no chance of humans evolving into anything soon or ever.
    Try telling that to the realists of the world that do not believe in the bible cock and bull story.

There is absolutely no chance of humans evolving into anything soon or ever.

Actually I would say that recent developments in genetic engineering means that instead of leaving evolution to chance, we can take control and (for better or worse) direct our evolution

What do we do when robots get so advanced that they act to all intents and purposes like a human would?
    But to drag this thread back to robots...!
    I would say that robots acting like humans are the least of your worries! What happens when the mobile phone in your pocket is twice as clever as you? Or ten times?
    (no replies that my phone has reached this stage already thank you

&#128513

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12