Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Caithness Nuclear Free Zone Declaration?

Default Caithness Nuclear Free Zone Declaration?

With all the nuclear reactors in Caithness in the decommissioning stage, is it a good idea to declare that Caithness is now a nuclear-free zone? In order to shift attitudes towards renewables in Caithness for the future, I think it would be a high profile statement to say that Caithness is open to renewable energy businesses if we erect Caithness Nuclear-Free zone signs at the county border. Of course they will have translations in Gaelic as well...
    Last edited by Rheghead; 25-Mar-16 at 18:42.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

On the contrary. Thurso became atomic city during the 1950s when some of the top pioneers in the nuclear industry moved north and settled in Caithness. We should fly the nuclear flag high up on Morven so the whole country can see it. Caithness is open for business and nuclear is its speciality.

Until the waste that is stored becomes inert or is moved out of Caithness then that will never be a tag that Caithness can honestly claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    In order to shift attitudes D
    I'm not interested in propaganda.

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    I'm not interested in propaganda.
    Yes but if signs were put up at the border then people can have a proper gander at them.

So long as there is natural radiation then it would be untrue.
    A poor idea in my opinion.

I am sorry but what a load of bunkum nuclear free my bum! We live in a big old world out there and we can declare to be nuclear free, carbon free, well any free you like but who would give a rats a--e
    Two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the Universe.

Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by veekay View Post
    I am sorry but what a load of bunkum nuclear free my bum! We live in a big old world out there and we can declare to be nuclear free, carbon free, well any free you like but who would give a rats a--e
    Public opinion against renewable energy and a dream that nuclear will return to Scotland (that will never materialise) is an obstacle to renewable energy development in the north of Scotland. Renewable energy is the only player in town, it has to be the only player in Caithness. We have only got to look at the public opposition to current plans for infrastructure that support renewables to see that there is a problem with current public opinion in Caithness.

For years we have had fiction pedalled as fact from the anti-wind brigade in Caithness and it has spilled out against other renewables like tidal and wind, are we to ignore that propaganda? It is corrosive to creating wealth and a cleaner environment to hand on to our kids.

I think we need GIRL POWER!!!

I think we need Swirl POWER!

There is nothing positive for the people of Caithness to get excited about regarding renewable energy while we pay more for electricity than friends and relatives in the central belt. The biggest obstacle to renewables is the inequitable way it is funded.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by Gronnuck View Post
    There is nothing positive for the people of Caithness to get excited about regarding renewable energy....
    Unless, of course, you are a landowner. Then you can just sit back & watch the money come rolling in for next to no effort at all...
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Gronnuck View Post
    There is nothing positive for the people of Caithness to get excited about regarding renewable energy while we pay more for electricity than friends and relatives in the central belt. The biggest obstacle to renewables is the inequitable way it is funded.
    There is estimated to be 300 jobs to be created when the offshore windturbine fields get the go ahead.

There is estimated to be 300 jobs to be created when the offshore windturbine fields get the go ahead.
    This has always fascinated me, 300 jobs are created looking after turbines, they must take an awful lot of servicing.
    Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong.
    Muhammad Ali

Quote Originally Posted by tonkatojo View Post
    This has always fascinated me, 300 jobs are created looking after turbines, they must take an awful lot of servicing.
    That is not surprising really is it? Out at sea is one of the most demanding environments for a piece of steel and a turbine. You know, I am not going to be convinced now that Windfarms are providing jobs is the new critique of wind farms that folk are gonna rally round after years of being told that wind farms don't provide any jobs at all.

There has to be at least a grain of joined up thinking if you want to convince others to be against something.

Serious doubts about:

• High levels of subsidy required;
    • Landscape blight, noise and inconvenience to neighbours;
    • Efficiency, safety and reliability of the technology;

So I don't think it's worth pursuing nuclear in the County any further.
    However I think declaring a 'nuclear-free zone' for Caithness would be a bit disingenuous: We hosted some of it on behalf of the world, proved that bits of it did or didn't work, and now we're showing how to deal safely with the legacy.
    Like it or not it's part of what we are, and a lot of people's lives have been (and continue to be) dedicated to it.
    That it's a dying industry shouldn't hold us back - we've been banging on about Wick's halcyon days of herring for years!
    Working On Behalf Of The Community!

a dream that nuclear will return to Scotland (that will never materialise) .
    Why? What information do you have to substantiate this? All that has to change is a pro nuclear Scottish government. Ok governmental change is easier said than done but surely in a county where the foundations of nuclear have been laid it makes sense to build upon what is already there.

Quote Originally Posted by Perambulate View Post
    Why? What information do you have to substantiate this? All that has to change is a pro nuclear Scottish government. Ok governmental change is easier said than done but surely in a county where the foundations of nuclear have been laid it makes sense to build upon what is already there.
    tbh, I don't think energy consumers can afford another nuclear power station when there are cheaper alternatives. The price tag for Hinkley C is now in the region of £24,000,000,000 and it seems to be rising whereas the cost of renewables seems to be continually going down.

I was delighted to read in a recent report that the good folk of Scotland are enthusiastic about renewable energy and even more delighted that they thought solar was the way to go, I've been saying that for years.
    It's about time that every new build has to have solar panels fitted and existing builds are encouraged to fit them. They are not a blot on the landscape and can cut household bills by a considerable amount.

Quote Originally Posted by LIZZ View Post
    I was delighted to read in a recent report that the good folk of Scotland are enthusiastic about renewable energy and even more delighted that they thought solar was the way to go, I've been saying that for years.
    It's about time that every new build has to have solar panels fitted and existing builds are encouraged to fit them. They are not a blot on the landscape and can cut household bills by a considerable amount.
    Have to disagree there, in my opinion they are more of a Blott than any Windfarm... Now, if they where integrated into the roof instead of just stuck on the top like a sore thumb then that would be better.

Don't get me wrong though, that's just the price of progress.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast