Forgive me for teaching Granny to suck eggs. I know that most who hang out here, or dip in and out from time to time, are plant-savvy.

But for inexperienced gardeners, I would like to offer some advice. I do have previous. I have contributed to a number of gardening magazines in my time, but I am only a household name in my own household.

If you are thinking of buying a shrub or any other plant in a pot, do not hesitate to turn it upside down and knock it out of the pot. Check to see the root structure. It should hold together, no compost falling off, white roots all around. If compost falls off, it has been offered for sale before it is ready. Don't trust seller.

If shrub has some embryo weeds on surface of pot, not bad. Shrub has been in pot long enough to establish root system. Trust seller. Don't disrespect weeds. Could be a good sign.

The most important thing is what is happening below ground. The roots are far more important than the top growth.

Sad but true - most buyers will look at shiny leaves and flowers. That's why Homebase make more profit then your local garden centre. But Homebase buy in bulk from polytunnels in Holland. How do you think these plants will survive in Caithness?

Buy to Die.