I have also posted this to the Caithness group on Facebook.

SWANSON, SINCLAIR.

John SUTHERLAND 1812-1895 was the son of John SUTHERLAND & Isabella SINCLAIR. In 1848 he married Ann SWANSON 1815-1891, daughter of Alexander SWANSON & Janet SHEARER.

Of the children of John SUTHERLAND & Ann SWANSON:
- Christina married her first cousin James GREEN (his mother Margaret was a daughter of John SUTHERLAND & Isabella SINCLAIR).
- John was born about 1850.
- Janet Shearer married Robert John ROBERTSON
- Isabella Sinclair married Robert CAMPBELL.

Of the children of Alexander SWANSON & Janet SHEARER who married 1807:
- John married Mary THOMSON and their son Donald was the policeman in charge of the Jack the Ripper case.
- Helen was baptised 1810
- Christina/Christina married John SKINNER
- Ann married John SUTHERLAND (as above.)

Another set of SWANSONs.

Thomas SINCLAIR M.A. was the son of George Dunbar SINCLAIR & Helen Miller SWANSON 1816-1893 whose parents were Thomas SWANSON & Christina/Christian/Christy MILLER.

Of the children of Thomas SWANSON & Christina MILLER who married 1806:
- James married Catherine MUNRO.
- Eliza Cumming (Elizabeth) I think , going by notes by Thomas SINCLAIR, married James SINCLAIR and they went to London Ontario in Canada.
- Donald was baptised 1814.
- Helen Miller married George Dunbar SINCLAIR (as above).
- Margaret was baptised 1821.

A biographical piece about Thomas SINCLAIR M.A. in the Celtic Monthly (1893) said this , "Mr. Sinclair's mother is Helen Swanson, aunt of the late Thomas Swanson, Intendant General of Cuba."

Does anyone know who was the father of Thomas SWANSON, Intendant General of Cuba? Could he be James, the son of Thomas & Christina, who had a son Thomas in 1838?

Helen Miller SWANSON's husband, George Dunbar SINCLAIR, was the descendant of James SINCLAIR the chamberlain, son of Donald SINCLAIR the sailor. Another son to Donald the sailor was Robert SINCLAIR who married Helen BREMNER. Robert & Helen's daughter Isabella SINCLAIR married John SUTHERLAND, the parents of John SUTHERLAND who married Ann SWANSON, which is where I started this post.

Thomas SWANSON who married Christina MILLER in 1806 and Alexander SWANSON who married Janet SHEARER in 1807 were contemporaries. Does anyone know if they were related in any way or is that a wild goose chase?

Peter