Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: "People with lower IQs are not only prone to addictions such as smoking,"

Default "People with lower IQs are not only prone to addictions such as smoking,"

'A study led by Prof. Mark Weiser of Tel Aviv University's Department of Psychiatry and the Sheba Medical Center at Tel Hashomer Hospital has determined that young men who smoke are likely to have lower IQs than their non-smoking peers' - can this be right? No, I'm not trolling, but trying to think back over many decades to see if I see that inclination myself..

http://phys.org/news/2010-04-dumb-li...arette-iq.html
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

On the subject of IQ, people with high IQs are more likely to vote for the Green party and low IQs are more likely to vote for BNP with a sliding scale that shows that less intelligent people tend to vote for right wing politics.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...le-racist.html
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Maybe they should package cigarettes in puzzle boxes so that those with a low IQ can't get them out...
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Hmm, why are the Greens so unprincipled and incompetent I wonder? Ah here tiz: http://cambridgeglobalist.org/2015/0...d-incompetent/ it's amazing what can be found, maybe I'm too right wing? but it ain't my IQ I assure you..

Quote Originally Posted by bekisman View Post
    Hmm, why are the Greens so unprincipled and incompetent I wonder? Ah here tiz: http://cambridgeglobalist.org/2015/0...d-incompetent/ it's amazing what can be found, maybe I'm too right wing? but it ain't my IQ I assure you..
    I don't take notice of blogs like you gave a link to, however the study that I referred to was scientifically conducted with 15,000 participants compared with the words of one armchair right-wing warrior with a computer...

But that was from the Students of Cambridge! by jove!

What? all of them?

What is the definition of a young man in this research?
    If some one takes up smoking in their teens surely their IQ is already established so how could it be affected?
    Now physical prowess is an altogether different matter

Quote Originally Posted by LIZZ View Post
    What is the definition of a young man in this research?
    If some one takes up smoking in their teens surely their IQ is already established so how could it be affected?
    Now physical prowess is an altogether different matter
    I don't think the suggestion is that smoking lowers the IQ. It is that having a low IQ means you're more likely to smoke.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    On the subject of IQ, people with high IQs are more likely to vote for the Green party and low IQs are more likely to vote for BNP with a sliding scale that shows that less intelligent people tend to vote for right wing politics.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...le-racist.html
    A left winger quoting the daily mail. There's got to be an irony there.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

I wonder if IQ's should be assessed as part of the driving test? Should lead to much quieter roads!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bekisman View Post
    'A study led by Prof. Mark Weiser of Tel Aviv University's Department of Psychiatry and the Sheba Medical Center at Tel Hashomer Hospital has determined that young men who smoke are likely to have lower IQs than their non-smoking peers' - can this be right? No, I'm not trolling, but trying to think back over many decades to see if I see that inclination myself..

http://phys.org/news/2010-04-dumb-li...arette-iq.html
    great tool google eh ? see https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...ore-cigarettes why intelligent people in US smoke more than counterparts in UK

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    great tool google eh ? see https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...ore-cigarettes why intelligent people in US smoke more than counterparts in UK
    Yea, but the UK did not get tobacco until 15th Century, it had been 'over there' for years.. Got three sons and a daughter - the only one that smokes occasionally would do the Rubix cube at 6 years old in 45 seconds and got a First Class Honours plus two individual top prizes at Dundee Uni in Computing.. so......

Quote Originally Posted by theone View Post
    A left winger quoting the daily mail. There's got to be an irony there.
    Will quoting another media outlet make any difference?

Quote Originally Posted by theone View Post
    I don't think the suggestion is that smoking lowers the IQ. It is that having a low IQ means you're more likely to smoke.
    I don't know about that really, clearly there is a mechanism to lower IQ in smokers by inhaling fumes that are harmful to the body. eg. Carbon monoxide binds rigidly with haemoglobin to prevent oxygen going to the brain and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    I don't know about that really, clearly there is a mechanism to lower IQ in smokers by inhaling fumes that are harmful to the body. eg. Carbon monoxide binds rigidly with haemoglobin to prevent oxygen going to the brain and all that.
    Perhaps you are right.

But that is not what the study showed. It only said that people with lower IQ's make poorer health choices. There is no suggestion in that article that the IQ of people who smoke changes over time.

- Charles de Gaulle

What a pile of irrrelevant rubbish. Who is funding this Weiser person? All these available funds should be going to cancer research.
    There are neither rights nor wrongs in gardening. Only experiences.

1. Albert Einstein was known for smoking a pipe. He once said, "I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs."

low IQ ����������

Quote Originally Posted by auk View Post
    pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs."
    When you're addicted to it, yes.