Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Council Tax

Default Council Tax

“the SNP plans to freezethis unfair tax for two more years before abolishing it all together.” NicolaSturgeon, 11th October, 2008. Took them long enough to tackle this issue, and they didnt abolish it yesterday but tinkered round the edges : abandoning the freeze and targeting only certain bandings . ALso what right does Sturgeon have to dictate to councils where to spend the money raised by increased council tax ( she pledges the dough to education / the attainment gap is clearly embaressing her ) ? Allocatting council tax is clearly a matter for local authorities surely, or does everything have to be controlled by central government ? WHy then have local authorities let central government run everything.
    Last edited by rob murray; 03-Mar-16 at 14:04.

Government expenditure and income figures due tommorow, will be very interesting indeed. Also austerity cuts, UK-wide benefits cuts will cost claimants £600 million and cuts to public spending will rob Holyrood of another £1.2 billion : now theyve the powers will SNP up taxes and look after those effected ? Rather think they wont

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    Government expenditure and income figures due tommorow, will be very interesting indeed. Also austerity cuts, UK-wide benefits cuts will cost claimants £600 million and cuts to public spending will rob Holyrood of another £1.2 billion : now theyve the powers will SNP up taxes and look after those effected ? Rather think they wont
    Yep, be interesting to listen at 09.30 today..
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

Scotland's public spending was almost £15bn more than its tax revenue in the last financial year, new figures show.The amount spent per head was £1,400 per person higher than the UK figure, according to the Government Expenditure and Revenue Scotland (GERS) bulletin for 2014-15.
    The deficit ran to almost 10% of Scotland's output - nearly double the level for the UK as a whole. For the first time in 35 years, Scotland generated less tax per head than the rest of the UK, according to new official Scottish Government statistics. It followed a decline in Scotland's share of North Sea revenues from just under £4billion in 2013/14 to £1.8billion in 2014/15.

So oil was just a bonus eh ????? the trickle of oil taxation has blasted the numbers through the floor, now lets see what if anything nats will do, as these figures indicate either less spedning across the board ( ie scottish austerity 100% ) or raise taxes. Well thats indy gone for good now as they cant make the figures stack up. Ah wait now wonder if Sturgeon will retract her EU indy 2 trigger
    Last edited by rob murray; 09-Mar-16 at 13:22.

Quote Originally Posted by bekisman View Post
    Yep, be interesting to listen at 09.30 today..
    INteresting but really devastating, surely element of nats can now see oil was not a bonus but a critical part of our economy and stop kidding themselves on
    Last edited by rob murray; 09-Mar-16 at 16:26. Reason: apologised for original post

[QUOTE=rob murray;1143074]INteresting but really devastating, surely the deaf and blind element of nats can now see oil was not a bonus but a critical part of our economy and stop kidding themselves on[/QUOTE
    I don't like the way you use deaf and blind to have a stab at the Nats. Being blind myself I take great offence to the line ,in whatever manor its given.

[QUOTE=dozy;1143094]
    INteresting but really devastating, surely the deaf and blind element of nats can now see oil was not a bonus but a critical part of our economy and stop kidding themselves on[/QUOTE
    I don't like the way you use deaf and blind to have a stab at the Nats. Being blind myself I take great offence to the line ,in whatever manor its given.
    Ok very sorry, no offence meant Ive edited the post

[QUOTE=dozy;1143094]
    INteresting but really devastating, surely the deaf and blind element of nats can now see oil was not a bonus but a critical part of our economy and stop kidding themselves on[/QUOTE
    OK Ive amended the post as above but stand by every other word...oil was obviously not a bonus nor was it any way acceptable to budget on oil revenues and the only people saying that was pro indy SNP, now these are facts.