Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Spittal Hill - Dumbest Place Ever for a Windfarm

Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post
    All good stuff Bekisman.

Went along to the first day of the Inquiry today in the Ross Institute, Halkirk. A good turnout. Going along nicely, but slowly, but then there's a lot to say. All about Landscape, Visual and Cumulative impacts. Should get on to Highland Council and Scottish Natural Heritage witnesses tomorrow starting at 0930 am.

See you there!
    Hope it goes well olivia

"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    So this costly event happened because of a transmission fault which had nothing to do with the practicalities of managing wind energy on the grid.

How much were fossil fuel generators paid to stop producing electricity?
    Reggy, it was nothing to do with a transmission fault. It was a national strategy fault. There was just more wind energy available than the grid could handle, and wind had to be shut down to manage the grid capability. By co-incidence, the excellent recently published report "Analysis of UK Wind Power Generation November 2008 to December 2010" www.jmt.org , foresees such an event, but not for the first time. Engineers and economists have been predicting it for years.

Quote Originally Posted by ywindythesecond View Post
    Reggy, it was nothing to do with a transmission fault.
    I beg to differ.

"Mr Larque said a transmission fault in the system meant the surplus energy could not be transferred to England and so generation had to be cut."
    Last edited by Rheghead; 04-May-11 at 01:27.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Interesting to see (in Caithness Courier) the cavalier attitude of Landscape architect Alexander Schlicke, (for the developers)
    "While accepting there would be a significant impact on small farm and croft settlements, he said this would not be unacceptable.
    Seventeen houses lie within a kilometre of a turbine and two of them are within 500 metres.
    While there would be a significant impact on these householders, Mr Schlicke did not believe this would be "overbearing or overwhelming".
    "It would not render them unpleasant places to live in," he claimed.
    Overall, he said that it has to be accepted that the Caithness landscape has become characterised by wind-farm developments."

What a self-centred, could-not-care-less-about-anyone-else attitude!

It is also important to point out that when the anti-wind protesters say that :- ' there are xxx houses within xx metres of the wind farm that will be significantly affected', they will include unoccupied and even 'ruinous' dwellings and crofts that may have been left empty for hundreds of years and will never be inhabited again.

All good tactics to inflate the impact to bolster one's cause.

Just a thought...Democracy in action

So Pottinger wants to make even more money and stick a load of turbines up on spittal hill, locals appalled and the elected representatives (Highland Council) objects against them unanimously.. Democracy in Action.

Rubbish!

The Developers totally ignore the Highland Council and the people who actually live there and go scrambling off to the parliament in Edinburgh, and wee eck sends out the 'Scottish Reporter' Democracy in action?

Then, depending on his masters bidding the reporter can overrule the locals and the Highland Council. Call that democracy? No it's totally non-democratic.. they will see through him eventually when up here we're trying to beg the English to let us have more power -for when the wind drops, silly..

PS I'm off to bed, and as I want to save the planet, my PC monitor is OFF

Whoops! forgot to point out #426 is what the developers state..
    night night

It is also important to point out that when the anti-wind protesters say that :- ' there are xxx houses within xx metres of the wind farm that will be significantly affected', they will include unoccupied and even 'ruinous' dwellings and crofts that may have been left empty for hundreds of years and will never be inhabited again.

So you're happy to ignore all the real people whose lives will be so badly affected? Those who will never be able to look out of their windows again without seeing huge turbines or enjoy their gardens/farmyards? Who will have to keep their windows closed to shut out the noise and their curtains drawn against the flicker and the motion? Who can't escape as no-one will buy their houses and why should they be driven from their family homes? All to make a lot of money for a few people who ensure they don't personally have to suffer because they don't put the turbines round their own houses.

Maybe you should try moving into a house by a large windfarm (and I don't mean stay for a brief period) and then see how enthusiastic you are. Turbines can, and do, make people ill. How would you feel if it was a member of your family and you had no escape? Have a little compassion.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    So you're happy to ignore all the real people whose lives will be so badly affected? Those who will never be able to look out of their windows again without seeing huge turbines or enjoy their gardens/farmyards? Who will have to keep their windows closed to shut out the noise and their curtains drawn against the flicker and the motion? Who can't escape as no-one will buy their houses and why should they be driven from their family homes? All to make a lot of money for a few people who ensure they don't personally have to suffer because they don't put the turbines round their own houses.

Maybe you should try moving into a house by a large windfarm (and I don't mean stay for a brief period) and then see how enthusiastic you are. Turbines can, and do, make people ill. How would you feel if it was a member of your family and you had no escape? Have a little compassion.
    I lived near a 12 turbine wind farm for 5 years and had no problems re noise or owt, most villagers were against before the wind farm was built but most eventually came to love being its neighbour after seeing how their fears were stoked up by a small minded minority. All part of my dissertation study into wind farm perceptions. In fact the moor where the wind farm now stands is still a valuable SSSI and the peat is still there as well as the wildlife. Just saying that the game is up on all the negative stuff anti-windfarmers are spouting. And yes, a wind farm doesn't bother the residents of a ruinous 17th century rock pile.

I lived near a 12 turbine wind farm for 5 years and had no problems re noise or owt, most villagers were against before the wind farm was built but most eventually came to love being its neighbour after seeing how their fears were stoked up by a small minded minority. All part of my dissertation study into wind farm perceptions. In fact the moor where the wind farm now stands is still a valuable SSSI and the peat is still there as well as the wildlife. Just saying that the game is up on all the negative stuff anti-windfarmers are spouting. And yes, a wind farm doesn't bother the residents of a ruinous 17th century rock pile.
    You could sell up then and move close to the Causewaymire windfarm. Sure you'd get a cheap property

I've had you on 'Ignore' Rheghead, but you've got to be honest; these turbines you lived near, I seem to remember they were wee ones compared to today's monsters, tell us where they were (nothing private about that) and it might help.. Oh by the way the developers often include ruins and empty houses in their reports - and are able to say that no objections were received from them.

If you are referring to Spittal Windfarm opponents Reggy, that comment is probably actionable. I suggest you moderate or even consider what you are saying when you post such comment. Anyone who doubts the rigour with which each side in this due process is examined should attend the Inquiry and see for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by bekisman View Post
    Just a thought...Democracy in action

So Pottinger wants to make even more money and stick a load of turbines up on spittal hill, locals appalled and the elected representatives (Highland Council) objects against them unanimously.. Democracy in Action.

Rubbish!

The Developers totally ignore the Highland Council and the people who actually live there and go scrambling off to the parliament in Edinburgh, and wee eck sends out the 'Scottish Reporter' Democracy in action?

Then, depending on his masters bidding the reporter can overrule the locals and the Highland Council. Call that democracy? No it's totally non-democratic.. they will see through him eventually when up here we're trying to beg the English to let us have more power -for when the wind drops, silly..

PS I'm off to bed, and as I want to save the planet, my PC monitor is OFF
    Beki, In the interest of fairness to Reggy, I suggest you moderate your tone.

Quote Originally Posted by bekisman View Post
    I've had you on 'Ignore' Rheghead, but you've got to be honest; these turbines you lived near, I seem to remember they were wee ones compared to today's monsters, tell us where they were (nothing private about that) and it might help.. Oh by the way the developers often include ruins and empty houses in their reports - and are able to say that no objections were received from them.
    Reggy. Call Beki's bluff and tell him which windfarm you lived near.
    Beki. Before Reggy asks, tell him where developers say they have said they have had no objection from empty houses.
    And when you have both done that can we get back to a serious discussion please.

Beki, In the interest of fairness to Reggy, I suggest you moderate your tone.
    you call that a tone???

Reggy. Call Beki's bluff and tell him which windfarm you lived near.
    Beki. Before Reggy asks, tell him where developers say they have said they have had no objection from empty houses.
    And when you have both done that can we get back to a serious discussion please.
    OK ywindythesecond you are undoubtedly the one with all the knowledge, and presumably seem to have the authority to tell me what to post on this thread, telling me to moderate my tone?.. who the heck are you to talk?
    You [A] seem unable to grasp the basic concept that this is an open forum and that there are many shades of opinion as to what we think of windfarms, you may well post your unfathomable graphs, which confuse the hell out of most of us, and [B] you obviously think I write crap, but unfortunately I do get PM's and even good reps for my postings, which you dismiss with your cavalier "lets get back to serious discussion".

I bow to your perceived superiority/authority, and I'll try to keep my inquisitive snout out..

Blessed be the peacemaker.

Oh before I go
    Hey Windy I'm trying to track down the bloke that dealt with Rengen(?) Renewables, he lived on Strathy Point, I think they were going to put a wind farm at Baligil, with promises of cash to the crofters? turned out this bloke (whoever he was) with help from at the time MAFF and their maps, discovered that the area where the turbines were to go was only very marginally on the common grazing, and hence no cash for the locals - seems he went to meetings and met personally with the directors of said company, and (it seems) had many phone conversations and productive email exchanges - I think he produced a booklet which was posted to all residents in the area, and was instrumental in getting a postal vote progressed which resulted in being voted against?

I 'think' it was the same bloke who attended an SSE meeting in Melvich where they planned a windfarm by the A836 and ended up with a detailed exchange of views with the developers representative, again this bloke - whoever he was - was instrumental in fighting that development too..

Oh yes he was involved in the Strathy North Wind Farm by SSE I think they sent this bloke an environmental Scoping Report which he used..

Seems this bloke does things differently..

But then again, no idea who it was..

As this thread is about the proposed Spittal Hill windfarm I assume the anti-wind protesters you are referring to above are those opposed to this particular development.

If this is infact the case, this is a pretty serious slur against the many genuinely concerned locals who are fighting this development.

If you had half a brain you would realise that this sort of alleged 'rigging' would not stand scrutiny at Inquiry.

Prove what you have posted or shut up and get out of here.

For those who are interested in what is happening at the Inquiry - today was the official accompanied site visit. The weather stayed fine and the Reporter seemed to have a productive morning visiting various properties and viewpoints around the area. This afternoon the Inquiry continued with the Highland Council's landscape witness giving his evidence and being cross-examined by the applicant's lawyer. I was most impressed with the witness who was extremely competent and able to stand up to a pretty vigorous cross-examination with ease. The applicant's lawyer showed his true colours as we all expected and got a wee warning shot across the bows from the Reporter. All interesting stuff.

Spittal Hill Windfarm Local Inquiry continues tomorrow, Ross Institute Halkirk 0930 hrs - all welcome.