Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Spittal Hill - Dumbest Place Ever for a Windfarm

I happened to catch the interview last night on Newsnight Scotland with Sir Donald Miller and the other chap (unfortunately I've forgotten his name) and thought Sir Donald spoke very well.

I notice he said twice that he had permission to state blah, blah so it obviously was not just his own personal opinions he was getting across.

The figures he quoted as to how much this Scottish obsession with wind farms will cost us all are staggering. Personally, I find our electricity bill quite enough to pay as it is, but if it will be going up further how on earth is everyone going to cope?

I do feel this is so unfair on the ordinary person. We have wind farm developers/landowners etc. becoming millionaires on the backs of pensioners, single mums etc etc having to pay higher electricity prices. This is not right or fair.

Spittal Hill windfarm public local inquiry - 10am, 3 May 2011, Ross Institute, Halkirk.

Quote Originally Posted by rupert View Post
    The figures he quoted as to how much this Scottish obsession with wind farms will cost us all are staggering. Personally, I find our electricity bill quite enough to pay as it is, but if it will be going up further how on earth is everyone going to cope?
    But the thing is failure to grasp the nettle of renewables will lead to much higher fuel bills, too many developing countries outbidding the UK on the international market for uranium, oil and coal.

By your actions in objecting to wind farms you will be responsible for costing us very dear indeed as we will be paying for expensive fuels and fines from the EU for not meeting our energy targets, that is the reality I'm afraid. Think what you are doing for your short term interest.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Wind turbines are not turning when there is no wind, who'd of thought that, eh? You don't say, huh? Well I never.

And who would have thought of windmills not turning when there is wind! I have seen as little as 4 spinning when there is plenty of wind-that equates to around 25% of the capacity.

By your actions in objecting to wind farms you will be responsible for costing us very dear indeed as we will be paying for expensive fuels and fines from the EU for not meeting our energy targets, that is the reality I'm afraid. Think what you are doing for your short term interest.
    My objection to Spittal Hill windfarm hardly makes me responsible for your gloomy prediction even if it was true.

Relying on onshore wind farms and ruling our nuclear power is never going to do the trick.

I think you and Mr Salmond need to wake up and smell the coffee, as they say.

I think you and Mr Salmond need to wake up and smell the coffee, as they say.
    The scientific advisers who advise the Government armed with the over-whelming body of evidence from climate scientists, recommend that we go all out for renewable energy in all forms and that is what Alex Salmond is trying to do.

What gives him the right or me to say the scientists are talking rubbish?

That is the harsh reality.
    Last edited by Rheghead; 28-Apr-11 at 17:45.

Rheghead, can you give me a reason for some of the windmills not turning and therefore not producing when we have wind?

The scientific advisers who advise the Government armed with the over-whelming body of evidence from climate scientists, recommend that we go all out for renewable energy in all forms and that is what Alex Salmond is trying to do.
    But that's exactly what he's not doing because he has ruled out future nuclear power production in Scotland.

It is hypocritical to do just that but to then accept electricity from across the border that is produced from nuclear.

But that's exactly what he's not doing because he has ruled out future nuclear power production in Scotland.

It is hypocritical to do just that but to then accept electricity from across the border that is produced from nuclear.
    Nuclear is not carbon free or even low-carbon, it has a much larger carbon footprint attached to it of 84-122g CO2/kWh (Storm and Smith) compared with wind of 11-37g CO2/kWH so I disagree with that since we need to reduce our carbon emissions by 80% and nuclear leaves us with little to play with compared with renewables.
    Last edited by Rheghead; 28-Apr-11 at 23:29.

Yes I would like proof of that please. Fact is that nuclear supplies only 4% of UK energy, it is a finite energy source and uranium reserves are dwindling.
    Where does the 4% of UK energy from come from? Energy includes transport fuel etc. This thread is about electricity and nuclear provides around 8GW out of 60GW max at winter peak and about 5GW or 6GW in summer. What percentage of our electricity demand is met by nuclear?

Quote Originally Posted by ywindythesecond View Post
    Where does the 4% of UK energy from come from? Energy includes transport fuel etc. This thread is about electricity and nuclear provides around 8GW out of 60GW max at winter peak and about 5GW or 6GW in summer. What percentage of our electricity demand is met by nuclear?
    Have you read the book that you recommended to Carole?

In it, it describes what is needed to create a low carbon economy, eventually we will have to generate more electricity by renewable methods than current levels for electric vehicles and space heating etc so it is correct to put some broader perspective on what nuclear provides in terms of overall energy.

Quote Originally Posted by peter macdonald View Post
    "Father of renewables backs SNP strategy

Friday, 29 April 2011 00:00

The SNP has today welcomed the news that Professor Stephen Salter has backed the party's green energy targets which would see the equivalent of 100% of Scotland’s electricity needs coming from renewables by 2020.

Professor Salter is the pioneer of marine renewables. He led the Edinburgh University team that designed and developed the ‘Salter’s Duck’ wave energy converter in the 1970s and has since been working on turbines for the Pentland Firth.
    Earlier this year he was awarded the inaugural Saltire Prize medal recognising his outstanding role in the development of marine renewables.
    Professor Salter’s endorsement comes on the back of the support that the 100% renewables target has received from industry leaders and environmental groups."

40 YEARS ON AND STILL NO SALTER DUCKLINGS!
    Obviously planning for a slow start and a quick finish.

Who invented and awarded the "inaugural Saltire Prize?

"Stephen Salter wins inaugural Saltire medal

Published Date: 23 March 2011

Professor Stephen Salter, pictured, has won the Scottish Government's inaugural Saltire medal in recognition of his role in the development of marine energy."
    http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/scot...ire.6738798.jp

These people really believe we are stupid!!

Sorry, these people believe we are really stupid.
    Last edited by ywindythesecond; 29-Apr-11 at 09:53. Reason: Last line added. Stupidly omitted it first time around.

Oh now I see what your really against is any thing connected with the Scottish government ...and their efforts in renewable wave power energy... Should have said earlier I would have understood

Here is a bit more information about Prof Salter and the Edinburgh Wave group
    http://www.mech.ed.ac.uk/research/wavepower/
    also the Artimis group
    http://www.artemisip.com/
    but then again you dont seem seem to like any thing to do with the Scottish Government so you will dismiss this idea even if it helps the job situation in the North of Scotland

Back to politics
    Here is the Labour leaders view on windfarms
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...on-ed-miliband..
    and the Liberals
    http://www.libdems.org.uk/latest_new...f-c85d9dfc1848
    and the Conservatives
    http://www.conservatives.com/Policy/...nd_Energy.aspx
    and the Greens
    http://policy.greenparty.org.uk/en
    especially their view on tidal power
    EN805 Research and development funding will be made available for the development of renewable energy technologies. High priority will be given to tidal and wave power, concentrated solar power, bio-energy carbon capture and storage, electric transport, energy storage and dynamic demand technologies.

So where does that leave you??
    Anarchists??

In short the point Im making is that none of these parties are anti windfarm, so why pick on one??
    Your cause is not served by incorporating your personal political views and you are undermining a lot of the good work being done by your fellow campaigners
    PM

Oh now I see what your really against is any thing connected with the Scottish government ...and their efforts in renewable wave power energy... Should have said earlier I would have understood

Here is a bit more information about Prof Salter and the Edinburgh Wave group
    http://www.mech.ed.ac.uk/research/wavepower/
    also the Artimis group
    http://www.artemisip.com/
    but then again you dont seem seem to like any thing to do with the Scottish Government so you will dismiss this idea even if it helps the job situation in the North of Scotland

Back to politics
    Here is the Labour leaders view on windfarms
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...on-ed-miliband..
    and the Liberals
    http://www.libdems.org.uk/latest_new...f-c85d9dfc1848
    and the Conservatives
    http://www.conservatives.com/Policy/...nd_Energy.aspx
    and the Greens
    http://policy.greenparty.org.uk/en
    especially their view on tidal power
    EN805 Research and development funding will be made available for the development of renewable energy technologies. High priority will be given to tidal and wave power, concentrated solar power, bio-energy carbon capture and storage, electric transport, energy storage and dynamic demand technologies.

So where does that leave you??
    Anarchists??

In short the point Im making is that none of these parties are anti windfarm, so why pick on one??
    Your cause is not served by incorporating your personal political views and you are undermining a lot of the good work being done by your fellow campaigners
    PM
    Brilliant stuff Peter! I make one post and you know all there is to know about my political leanings and motivation!!

My point which you seem to have missed or avoided is that in March 2011, the SNH Scottish Government invented the Saltire Medal and presented it to Professor Salter, and in April 2011, the SNP is delighted to announce that Prof Salter supports their policy. It is an insult to our intelligence.

My other point is that the award was made for an achievement 40 years ago and we are effectively no further forward. Why is it that our coast is not already surrounded by wave and tidal maches? Why did we not have wind turbines before Renewable Obligation Certificates allowed us consumers to directly subsidise them to the tune of approx 5p per kWh?

And, God help us all, only UKIP is against windfarms!

And the BNP.
    Last edited by Rheghead; 29-Apr-11 at 17:47.

And the BNP.
    Looks like I'll be voting UKIP or BNP then.

Brilliant stuff Peter! I make one post and you know all there is to know about my political leanings and motivation!!

No Im sorry ..You are missing the point ..you are politicising a cause that needs all the help it can get ....
    and therefore undoing a lot of the good work your fellow anti windfarmers are doing
    PM

Is it really just one post??? I think not
    PM

It is (or I should say 'was') an SNP minister who has approved controversial onshore wind farm after wind farm, including one here in Caithness, so it's not really surprising that Alex Salmond etc. get the blame for the desecration of our landscapes and amenity.

I don't want the argument to be political but it's the politicians that are making the controversial decisions.

What's the betting that Jim Mather gets a nice little earner working for some wind farm company as an advisor in the near future?

Spittal Hill Public Local Inquiry starts 10am, Tuesday 3 May 2011, Ross Institute, Halkirk - all welcome.

My point which you seem to have missed or avoided is that in March 2011, the SNH Scottish Government invented the Saltire Medal and presented it to Professor Salter, and in April 2011, the SNP is delighted to announce that Prof Salter supports their policy. It is an insult to our intelligence.

My other point is that the award was made for an achievement 40 years ago and we are effectively no further forward. Why is it that our coast is not already surrounded by wave and tidal maches? Why did we not have wind turbines before Renewable Obligation Certificates allowed us consumers to directly subsidise them to the tune of approx 5p per kWh?

You're right. The Salter ducks didn't work. Salter is a doddery old git. His supporters live in a dreamworld of conspiracy theories. As far as I can see, there is little prospect of extracting much energy from the waves.

Alex Salmond may be a gullible fool, but as I said before, Gordon Brown told us last week that Africa has huge plutonium reserves.

No Im sorry ..You are missing the point ..you are politicising a cause that needs all the help it can get ....
    and therefore undoing a lot of the good work your fellow anti windfarmers are doing
    PM

Is it really just one post??? I think not
    PM
    What are you doing for the "cause" Peter?