Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: What is a KISKINE Service...may be spelt wrong!

Default What is a KISKINE Service...may be spelt wrong!

I was told recently that in Caithness you can have a 'Kiskine Service' (may be spelt wrong as i struggled with the accent)?
    I think it may be something to do with funerals or similar!

Hope you fellow orgers can help...

Angel...
    I'm not perfect, which is a shame really, as everyone else is!

It was a service in the deceased home and held on the night before the actual funeral service and committal. The kist
    Was the coffin. It was before church services and funeral parlour were so popular. Probably in country areas. Minister and undertaker in attendance. Haven`t heard of any in a long time.

Fascinating, thank you Scunner for that piece of information.

My aunt died some 3 years ago, we attended the service which was on the Isle of Islay, it was called a coffining service the night before the burial , soft gaelic music playing round her as she lay in state in the adjacent room,we were given a lovely dram of the best Islay whisky for the mourners, that was what she wanted , lovely to be there, what a great miss , lovely lady. miss you aunt Madge laid to rest by the wall at the round church Isle of Islay.

The word is Kisting

Found this ..... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	387 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	28858

That was interesting, linnie612. At least the politicians of the day solved the problems in the linen industry!