Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

View Poll Results: In or Out European union

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • IN

18 28.57%
  • OUT

45 71.43%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: In or out of EU Poll

So Boris is for out - always thought of him as a bungling prat, but must admit he hit a nerve with me with part of his announcement a short while ago in which he said that above the EU sat the lawmakers who made the laws for the 742,000,000 of the EU. The same laws (presumably for the intended United States of Europe?) but how the hell can you have the same laws for such diverse nations? look of a map of Europe of just 300 years ago, most EU nations did not exist!. Applying exact same laws to us will not work. OK we're so-called 'Europeans' - no we're not, we're an insular race, often leaving these shores to save the arse of the French or Germans, we ARE different, and cannot be combined as 'European' in the terms of being the same as an Italian, An Hungarian, a Luxembourger. The same size fits all does not and never will work. The Brits are slow to anger and put up with a lot, but me thinks the worm has turned..
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

I sympathise with both sides of the debate, on the one hand, the no camp, they want total sovereignty so that we can decide on all our laws etc. That is great then there is the other side who probably feel that modern life is so more connected now and arguably safer and much more fuller and more rewarding for that interconnection. Countries are trading more, we are going further afield, we are even playing and meeting people online and making friends. Shouldn't we be reaching out rather than retreating back to our island? This decision will be the biggest of our political lives, it even calls into question what sovereignty means, is it something to be traded away for a better horizon or jealously guarded and have the right to decide with it? So we should set the stage that feels right for the next chapter, what we want the future to be.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

There is also the argument that if you think that types like Gove and Boris Johnson etc are part of an elite political class at Westminster who hunger for more powers to mess around with then it may be a good idea to vote to stay in the EU to prevent them making your life an even worse misery.

The biggest turn-off for me was seeing that be-hatted George Galloway, what the hell is his agenda?
    28% vs. 71% Wot's SNP going to do now?

Quote Originally Posted by bekisman View Post
    The biggest turn-off for me was seeing that be-hatted George Galloway, what the hell is his agenda?
    28% vs. 71% Wot's SNP going to do now?
    The same as usual probably, go against anything Westminster does, but she is a crafty one is Sturgeon she knows she has a backdoor key if she can persuade the Scots to leave the UK and that backdoor key is named the Common Wealth.
    Galloway has spotted another bandwagon me thinks as the wheel fell off of his last one.
    Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong.
    Muhammad Ali

Quote Originally Posted by tonkatojo View Post
    The same as usual probably, go against anything Westminster does, but she is a crafty one is Sturgeon she knows she has a backdoor key if she can persuade the Scots to leave the UK and that backdoor key is named the Common Wealth.
    Galloway has spotted another bandwagon me thinks as the wheel fell off of his last one.
    The out case and all the intriciies involved has not been really made, ithe comming months will see what oot looks like, SNP can parade to stay in and throw in the if UK out then that triggers off indy 2 scenariso, but people will have been exposed to the realities of the out scenario, these a real irony here as the in campaign will lead on fear as they did yesterday, ie we dont wholly know the risks involved, better the devil you know, dont take the chances with the unknown etc etc, forcing the out campaign to be on the back foot, the ins will lead with a project fear approach just as the NATS called the yes vote campaiagn a project fear, so STurgeon wil end up with the ins running and supporting EU project fear.
    Last edited by rob murray; 22-Feb-16 at 12:45.

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    The out case and all the intriciies involved has not been really made, ithe comming months will see what oot looks like, SNP can parade to stay in and throw in the if UK out then that triggers off indy 2 scenariso, but people will have been exposed to the realities of the out scenario, these a real irony here as the in campaign will lead on fear as they did yesterday, ie we dont wholly know the risks involved, better the devil you know, dont take the chances with the unknown etc etc, forcing the out campaign to be on the back foot, the ins will lead with a project fear approach just as the NATS called the yes vote campaiagn a project fear, so STurgeon wil end up the ins running and supporting EU project fear.
    I can see where your coming from, it will be like the last general election the fear factor it worked for the Cons against Labour last time using the Nats as the demonic factor throwing in with Labour, now Cameron is using Farage and Galloway as the demonic examples. but I cannot see the electorate being taken in again with such deliberate slight of tongue.
    One thing I will say I personally am disapointed in the stance of the Labour party stance of out, but that said a lot of their current policies I would not vote for.
    Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong.
    Muhammad Ali

Sturgeon seems to be equating a scottish stay in EU vote as being a yes for scottish independance ie EU stay in voters will revert to yes for independance in any new scottish indy vote, which is rash to say the least : see what ex leader Gordon Wilson has to say on situation : http://www.scotsman.com/news/politic...ndum-1-4035288

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    Sturgeon seems to be equating a scottish stay in EU vote as being a yes for scottish independance ie EU stay in voters will revert to yes for independance in any new scottish indy vote, which is rash to say the least : see what ex leader Gordon Wilson has to say on situation : http://www.scotsman.com/news/politic...ndum-1-4035288
    Well that is your unique interpretation I suppose.

My interpretation as well - but then I am of the undermensch class

I think what is really worthwhile to note is that Friends of the Earth are campaigning for staying in the EU. Although they accept that the common agricultural policy has been a disaster for the countryside, they say that the EU has brought us cleaner beaches, less air pollution, safer products and more protection for wildlife.

If we think that Westminster would strengthen environmental law over and above what the EU already does then I think we would be deluding ourselves.

Here is their report on how they stand on our relationship with the EU

https://www.foe.co.uk/sites/default/...ship-81703.pdf
    Last edited by Rheghead; 23-Feb-16 at 00:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    I think what is really worthwhile to note is that Friends of the Earth are campaigning for staying in the EU. Although they accept that the common agricultural policy has been a disaster for the countryside, they say that the EU has brought us cleaner beaches, less air pollution, safer products and more protection for wildlife.

If we think that Westminster would strengthen environmental law over and above what the EU already does then I think we would be deluding ourselves.

Here is their report on how they stand on our relationship with the EU

https://www.foe.co.uk/sites/default/...ship-81703.pdf
    For decades I have been disillusioned with the fisheries policy forced on us to appease other member states I wonder how many million tons or tonnes if you want have been thrown away dead under EU rules, strange your "friends of the earth" don't mention the likes, mind greenpeace have done great with the highlighting of the whale persecution , but I totally agree the CAP was and is there for the benefit of the French and not the UK.
    Muhammad Ali

Well that is your unique interpretation I suppose.
    Nothing unique about it....did you not read what gordon wilson ( and others ) are saying ? I happen to agree with what theyre saying and theres nothing unique about that. ANyway its all bluff and bluster by STurgeon, she has already came out with the significant event triggering indy2 statment to keep hard line SNP yes voters on board t but lets see whats in their manifiesto re indy, as theyve dodged what if anything they would put in it as regards indy2, remember the language changed fom indy to..lets get on and govern, long term forecasting etc. Of courses if Swinney doesnt get the fiscal framework that he requires, they will drop the long term budgeting on grounds that they rightly cannot budget unless formuala is right and fair. Anyway its nonsense to assume that In EU voters will vote indy thats just taking a very simple view or rather trying to tie the two things, EU / INdy together. They are 2 seperate issues and most people will see it like that
    Last edited by rob murray; 23-Feb-16 at 10:17.

IF we left EU, does that mean Scotland gets it's 200 mile fishing limit back, instead of a few miles north of Shetland? This was that prat Heath:
    SECRET papers, released today, have revealed how the Scottish fishing fleet was betrayed by the government 30 years ago to enable Britain to sign up to the controversial Common Fisheries Policy.

Prime Minister Edward Heath’s officials estimated that up to half the fishermen in Scottish waters - then 4,000 men - could lose their jobs, but the decision was taken to go ahead with plans to sign up because it was believed that the benefits to English and Welsh fishermen would outweigh the disadvantages in Scotland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln4SRnt4VE0

I think we would do well to listen to someone who guided Britain through its last encounter with disaster. Its only 70 years ago. Human beings have short memories.

Quote Originally Posted by gleeber View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln4SRnt4VE0

I think we would do well to listen to someone who guided Britain through its last encounter with disaster. Its only 70 years ago. Human beings have short memories.

Your post made me think that a brexit would risk the break up of the EU and from then on there would be a risk of raising political tensions that could lead us to war again. Peace is a blue chip that I cannot risk losing.

The EU may break up but as only Austria, Cyprus, Finland, Ireland, Malta and Sweden. are NOT members of NATO in EU, think Article 5 (Collective defense means that an attack against one Ally is considered as an attack against all Allies.) so a kind of MAD in a way?

Well this Thread is to do with the EU In/Out..
    According to the just released GERS figures: "On that measure, the current spending deficit for 2014-15 was £11.9bn, according to GERS - or 7.8% of GDP, compared with a UK figure of 3.3%." and as Ms Sturgeon says IF the UK votes to leave the EU she will get Independence and apply for EU membership, Hmm "As a benchmark of a sustainable level of deficit, the rules for eurozone membership require deficits to be no more than 3% of GDP."
    Makes you think don't it?

I find it funny the furore over the Queen's alleged belief that the UK should leave the EU in order to regain control over its own laws. If we took that thought one step further, I'm sure the Queen would privately like to regain the control of the UK herself!
    Last edited by Rheghead; 11-Mar-16 at 18:17.

I find it funny the furore over the Queen's alleged belief that the UK should leave the EU in order to regain control over its own laws. If we took that thought one step further, I'm sure the Queen would privately like to regain the control of the UK herself!
    Hmm, I think your presuming too much, on the other hand you must/may be privy to HM thoughts to say with your surety what are her private thoughts, or just prattling on in your thoughts.
    Muhammad Ali

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast