Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

View Poll Results: In or Out European union

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • IN

18 28.57%
  • OUT

45 71.43%

Thread: In or out of EU Poll

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default In or out of EU Poll

Poll for in or out of Eu

11 out to 1 in, at present when I voted for out, so looking good to me.
    Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong.
    Muhammad Ali

I've not voted cos I haven't made my mind up yet.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

I too am pondering the matter, common sense says IN, but history says OUT.

Quote Originally Posted by LIZZ View Post
    I too am pondering the matter, common sense says IN, but history says OUT.
    History is history but the future is the future.

Quote Originally Posted by tonkatojo View Post
    11 out to 1 in, at present when I voted for out, so looking good to me.
    So Tonka what's the argument for leaving the EU then.

Quote Originally Posted by neilsermk1 View Post
    So Tonka what's the argument for leaving the EU then.
    I would say reasons more than arguments, them being based on the erosion of original idea for joining the European economic union back in January 1973, politicians in " their "wisdom changed the goal posts so many times we are left with the mess as is at present. I personally would like to favour the commonwealth trading as we used to do, also the rest of the world to trade with along with the European countries. Now I know the shout would be " imposed tariffs " that would work both ways and considering he amount of importing we do it would not matter, consider the £11.3 billion that go to Brussels just to be in the club saved, we would be better off.
    Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong.
    Muhammad Ali

Quote Originally Posted by tonkatojo View Post
    consider the E11.3 billion euros that go to Brussels just to be in the club saved, we would be better off.
    Well that isn't correct is it? The UK receives back money, the difference being E4.7bn euros adrift. But exports to EU are worth more than twice this deficit per month. So you could say the membership fee to the club is small potatoes compared to what we get out of being in the club. Of course we can keep trading with the EU after Brexit but at what cost?

On another matter, I think nations who are encouraged to trade with eachother are far less likely to go to war with eachother. Europe has not got a good track record before the EU at being peaceful.

Far from offering every consumer and business the benefits of a wider domestic market, after 40 years of membership, less than 5 per cent of UK companies directly export to the EU yet all are forced to bear the burden of its regulations. Were the UK to leave, it would continue to have access to the EU’s markets, as World Trade Organization rules prevent the EU from imposing unfair, punitive tariffs on UK exports. Furthermore, Britain could quite legally ‘compensate’ exporting firms for costs that they may face.

One of the biggest errors the pro EU advocates advance is the idea that the EU prevents war in Europe. As we are now seeing, there is the opposite danger. The EU’s actions and words in the Ukraine have helped create a dangerous power vacuum which Mr Putin is exploiting for Russian advantage. Whilst it is Russia which today threatens the peace and has acted illegally and rashly, we do need to study carefully the origins of this flare up. The intervention of the EU in the break up of the former Yugoslavia also failed to prevent war, and some would say made that conflict more bitter and damaging.

There were no wars in Europe from 1945 until 1973
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Well that isn't correct is it? The UK receives back money, the difference being E4.7bn euros adrift. But exports to EU are worth more than twice this deficit per month. So you could say the membership fee to the club is small potatoes compared to what we get out of being in the club. Of course we can keep trading with the EU after Brexit but at what cost?

On another matter, I think nations who are encouraged to trade with eachother are far less likely to go to war with eachother. Europe has not got a good track record before the EU at being peaceful.
    Your a grand one for graphs Rhegy here's one for you. I suppose we should be grateful for the wee bit of our money we get back in the form of grants and rebates. Trading with other nations does not deter war, ask the Ukraine, The French are only our friends when it suits them ask the port of Calais or the UK farmers when bse was lifted by Europe how long did it take the French to acknowledge it (in years will do). Nah Tam2000 is right on the other thread "brexit" get well away and try salvage whats left of our industries without the EU regulations.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	July-Budget-2015-final1.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	28859
    Last edited by tonkatojo; 10-Feb-16 at 22:35.
    Muhammad Ali