Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

View Poll Results: In or Out European union

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • IN

18 28.57%
  • OUT

45 71.43%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: In or out of EU Poll

Another consequence of Brexit would be the reduced influence on World Diplomacy. Take for instance our stance against rogue states like Zimbabwe. Mugabe and his henchmen are stung for more by the lack of travel arrangements, weapons embargos and banking rights in 28 states rather than one. We were instrumental to get that set up because we were a part of the EU. If we left, I am concerned that the stance against Mugabe and other rogue states would crumble because we aren't there to maintain it.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Another consequence of Brexit would be the reduced influence on World Diplomacy. Take for instance our stance against rogue states like Zimbabwe. Mugabe and his henchmen are stung for more by the lack of travel arrangements, weapons embargos and banking rights in 28 states rather than one. We were instrumental to get that set up because we were a part of the EU. If we left, I am concerned that the stance against Mugabe and other rogue states would crumble because we aren't there to maintain it.
    An excellent example, just what use has it been? the despot still pleases himself.
    Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong.
    Muhammad Ali

Quote Originally Posted by tonkatojo View Post
    An excellent example, just what use has it been? the despot still pleases himself.
    It could be argued that the economic pressures have forced him into power sharing agreements with political rivals and has stopped his tyranny from murdering more of his citizens and spilling violence over into neighbouring countries. He's cornered.

There seems to be a common misconception that the EU is less democratically structured and more autocratic than our own political set up. But the more I read into it then I find that the reverse is true. One common fault is that we tend to confuse a loss of sovereignty with a democratic deficit which something entirely different. Would you agree or disagree and why?

There seems to be a common misconception that the EU is less democratically structured and more autocratic than our own political set up. But the more I read into it then I find that the reverse is true. One common fault is that we tend to confuse a loss of sovereignty with a democratic deficit which something entirely different. Would you agree or disagree and why?
    Not sure about "democratic deficit" but the odds of 27/1 are not very good if you want to win. Or another look 751/74 in the EU parliament, it is a bit like the chances of Scottish MP's ruling Westminster.
    Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong.
    Muhammad Ali

Not sure about "democratic deficit" but the odds of 27/1 are not very good if you want to win. Or another look 751/74 in the EU parliament, it is a bit like the chances of Scottish MP's ruling Westminster.
    It is not so much winning as you put it, it is about gaining support throughout the member states for mutual benefit. The way it is structured is for agreement through compromise, not discord. Though the appointment of Eurosceptic MEPs will cause disagreement for its own sake.

It is not so much winning as you put it, it is about gaining support throughout the member states for mutual benefit. The way it is structured is for agreement through compromise, not discord. Though the appointment of Eurosceptic MEPs will cause disagreement for its own sake.
    Not a chance of harmony/consonance as all are looking after their own countries interest, some will collectively group if it is in their interests and if they have the odds in favor all well and good for them and sod the others. Not a good out come for the sods though. A bit like the Nats sticking their oar in on English matters that have no bearing on Scotland as it has been devolved already, Just spite mischief and the same thing goes on in the EU cronies/countries sticking together even if it does not matter to them, but it goes into the black book of favors owed.
    Muhammad Ali

Not a chance of harmony/consonance as all are looking after their own countries interest, some will collectively group if it is in their interests and if they have the odds in favor all well and good for them and sod the others. Not a good out come for the sods though. A bit like the Nats sticking their oar in on English matters that have no bearing on Scotland as it has been devolved already, Just spite mischief and the same thing goes on in the EU cronies/countries sticking together even if it does not matter to them, but it goes into the black book of favors owed.
    Mutual interest is also self-interest.

Mutual interest is also self-interest.
    Here is Farage at his best, watch the faces of the French and German contingent, I admire the restraint lol. https://www.youtube.com/embed/R5lXYw...l=0&autoplay=1
    Muhammad Ali

If I may butt in please, I have a question of a different nature....

Over the UK has been successful in attracting companies wishing to set up manufacturing in the EU.
    With the rise of the Asian economies, I expect to see more of this type of investment in the EU.
    The UK has a distinct advantage over other EU nations because we are English speaking, this being the international language of trade.

If we leave the EU will be able to attract any of this new manufacturing?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by sprint95m View Post

Over the UK has been successful in attracting companies wishing to set up manufacturing in the EU.
    With the rise of the Asian economies, I expect to see more of this type of investment in the EU.
    The UK has a distinct advantage over other EU nations because we are English speaking, this being the international language of trade.

Thanks.
    Butt in as you want but propose at least one legible question for us to grasp at. Your observation of attracting manufacturing companies will continue in or out, how far UK wide these companies are is for debate.
    Muhammad Ali

Quote Originally Posted by sprint95m View Post

Thanks.
    You are quite right. American and Asian markets see the UK as a gateway into investing into the Single Market. Nissan is a classic example of this as the UK levies 18% corperation tax compared to 30% in France and Germany. A Brexit would be disasterous for foreign investment.

It looks like one of those good Asian investors is dumping on what's left of the steel industry, at present the governments cannot do much to help unfortunately the EU rules yet again forbid it, so yet another reason to be free of their fetters I think.
    Muhammad Ali

It looks like one of those good Asian investors is dumping on what's left of the steel industry, at present the governments cannot do much to help unfortunately the EU rules yet again forbid it, so yet another reason to be free of their fetters I think.
    The EU tried to slap on a 66% import tarriff on Chinese steel that is currently flooding the market. The UK was the ringleader at the European Commission to stop that from happening because it was prepared to see British steel go to the wall in order to appease the Chinese.

I'll take some convincing that a Brexit would do anything for British steel or British trade as a whole.

I might think about leaving the EU if it was agreed that all the returned powers were to be immediately devolved to the Scottish parliament.
    Last edited by Rheghead; 31-Mar-16 at 12:11.

I might think about leaving the EU if it was agreed that all the returned powers were to be immediately devolved to the Scottish parliament.
    According to your leader that is what she intends doing anyway, so vote to BREXIT and get your wish, solved.
    Muhammad Ali

According to your leader that is what she intends doing anyway, so vote to BREXIT and get your wish, solved.
    Not my leader. I am a member of a political party and it ain't her. You presume too much.

Nigel Farage's vision for UK trade with the EU has to be one of the biggest Schrodingers Cats of the EU debate.
    On the one hand he says there is an intolerable democratic deficit with EU law and that we face too much regulation on products from Brussels. That sounds great on face value.
    But the truth is, upon a Brexit any trade with the EU which is 60% of UK exports, has to conform to EU regulation. So the UK would have to conform with the EU and we will have 100% democratic deficit in the nature of that regulation.
    It would be a double whammy against the UK

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345