Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

View Poll Results: In or Out European union

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • IN

18 28.57%
  • OUT

45 71.43%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: In or out of EU Poll

Default In or out of EU Poll

Poll for in or out of Eu

11 out to 1 in, at present when I voted for out, so looking good to me.
    Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong.
    Muhammad Ali

I've not voted cos I haven't made my mind up yet.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

I too am pondering the matter, common sense says IN, but history says OUT.

Quote Originally Posted by LIZZ View Post
    I too am pondering the matter, common sense says IN, but history says OUT.
    History is history but the future is the future.

Quote Originally Posted by tonkatojo View Post
    11 out to 1 in, at present when I voted for out, so looking good to me.
    So Tonka what's the argument for leaving the EU then.

Quote Originally Posted by neilsermk1 View Post
    So Tonka what's the argument for leaving the EU then.
    I would say reasons more than arguments, them being based on the erosion of original idea for joining the European economic union back in January 1973, politicians in " their "wisdom changed the goal posts so many times we are left with the mess as is at present. I personally would like to favour the commonwealth trading as we used to do, also the rest of the world to trade with along with the European countries. Now I know the shout would be " imposed tariffs " that would work both ways and considering he amount of importing we do it would not matter, consider the £11.3 billion that go to Brussels just to be in the club saved, we would be better off.
    Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong.
    Muhammad Ali

Quote Originally Posted by tonkatojo View Post
    consider the E11.3 billion euros that go to Brussels just to be in the club saved, we would be better off.
    Well that isn't correct is it? The UK receives back money, the difference being E4.7bn euros adrift. But exports to EU are worth more than twice this deficit per month. So you could say the membership fee to the club is small potatoes compared to what we get out of being in the club. Of course we can keep trading with the EU after Brexit but at what cost?

On another matter, I think nations who are encouraged to trade with eachother are far less likely to go to war with eachother. Europe has not got a good track record before the EU at being peaceful.

Far from offering every consumer and business the benefits of a wider domestic market, after 40 years of membership, less than 5 per cent of UK companies directly export to the EU yet all are forced to bear the burden of its regulations. Were the UK to leave, it would continue to have access to the EU’s markets, as World Trade Organization rules prevent the EU from imposing unfair, punitive tariffs on UK exports. Furthermore, Britain could quite legally ‘compensate’ exporting firms for costs that they may face.

One of the biggest errors the pro EU advocates advance is the idea that the EU prevents war in Europe. As we are now seeing, there is the opposite danger. The EU’s actions and words in the Ukraine have helped create a dangerous power vacuum which Mr Putin is exploiting for Russian advantage. Whilst it is Russia which today threatens the peace and has acted illegally and rashly, we do need to study carefully the origins of this flare up. The intervention of the EU in the break up of the former Yugoslavia also failed to prevent war, and some would say made that conflict more bitter and damaging.

There were no wars in Europe from 1945 until 1973
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Well that isn't correct is it? The UK receives back money, the difference being E4.7bn euros adrift. But exports to EU are worth more than twice this deficit per month. So you could say the membership fee to the club is small potatoes compared to what we get out of being in the club. Of course we can keep trading with the EU after Brexit but at what cost?

On another matter, I think nations who are encouraged to trade with eachother are far less likely to go to war with eachother. Europe has not got a good track record before the EU at being peaceful.
    Your a grand one for graphs Rhegy here's one for you. I suppose we should be grateful for the wee bit of our money we get back in the form of grants and rebates. Trading with other nations does not deter war, ask the Ukraine, The French are only our friends when it suits them ask the port of Calais or the UK farmers when bse was lifted by Europe how long did it take the French to acknowledge it (in years will do). Nah Tam2000 is right on the other thread "brexit" get well away and try salvage whats left of our industries without the EU regulations.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	July-Budget-2015-final1.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	28859
    Last edited by tonkatojo; 10-Feb-16 at 22:35.
    Muhammad Ali

This is getting good, reasoned debate with the occasional graph for good measure, what's gone wrong,, no one has got snippy about the Scottish government (yet) or mentioned Hitler (yet). Best thread in a long time

If and when after brexit this is a quote from this link ​http://www.niesr.ac.uk/blog/after-br...u#.Vrutq_KLSM8 We run a massive trade deficit with the EU (but a surplus with the rest of the world). On the day we left, we’d become the EU’s single biggest market, accounting for 21 per cent of its exports – more than its second and third largest markets (the US and Japan) combined.
    Muhammad Ali

Quote Originally Posted by neilsermk1 View Post
    This is getting good, reasoned debate with the occasional graph for good measure, what's gone wrong,, no one has got snippy about the Scottish government (yet) or mentioned Hitler (yet). Best thread in a long time
    Yes, tiz rather nice - hope it continues until June!

I do not think it was good when we joined the common market. My father who had small holding in the south said the money difference was bad for the UK so EU has really never been good for UK.

Good to see orgers voting, pity this poll keeps slipping down the page, wonder if it could could be a 'Sticky' for such an important opinion gauge?

Italys in real bad Greek like economic shape, and are now subjected to brutal Brussels austerity measures see : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/e...-eurozone.html

Poll ending in 7 days

Midday news (17th Feb) "Four Eastern European Countries reportedly ready to block PM's proposal to limit benefits for migrants living in UK" Surely they are not that thick and uncomprehending to realise that by simply stating that, that another % of Brits have gone to: "lets get out" result; those Eastern Countries will get nowt?
    I know it's only a small poll on the Org but with 31% to stay in and 68% to get out, not looking good

Quote Originally Posted by bekisman View Post
    Midday news (17th Feb) "Four Eastern European Countries reportedly ready to block PM's proposal to limit benefits for migrants living in UK" Surely they are not that thick and uncomprehending to realise that by simply stating that, that another % of Brits have gone to: "lets get out" result; those Eastern Countries will get nowt?
    I know it's only a small poll on the Org but with 31% to stay in and 68% to get out, not looking good
    This whole EU debacle is largely about Cameron plactating his anti EU MP's, he is just like all tory heads, since Majors time. EU reforms could be consensual and led by UK / Germany. Well its blowing up in his face, as if polls are right, the popular vote will be for out, and thats the end of Cameron : So given scottish EU support ( by polls anyway ) will the SNP put a clause in their manifesto on clearly what will trigger indy 2 ie if UK leaves EU then indy 2 rather than being in a non EU country ?....what a complete mess

I agree this what you say to an extent ,Cameron would never back anything that he'll lose . The Westminster system will make sure the vote goes his way, already the fix must be in. The same lot that sprinkled the Camreon fairy dust on the scottish referendum have no doubt got a mountain for the EU one.
    Sorry but no one in their right mind would bet on a NO vote that could see Cameron out and Scotland independent .

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast