Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How about a poll (!) on In or OUT of the EU?

Barclays: "Scotland has said it would be inclined to hold another independence referendum if there is a Brexit." Will those 'in charge' of Scotland have a separate referendum to ASK the Scottish people what they want?.. not being pedantic but the Poll on IN/OUT above may be just a straw poll but it could be indicative of the general populations feelings? I can't see a First Minister demanding a referendum on independence unless she has full support, and even then, it's a 'Reserved Matter' and up to the UK as a whole (i.e. Westminster) to decide? Incidentally there has been (2013) a 50% increase in migration to UK from Spain, 44% from Greece and 43% from Portugal - I would imagine that more recent figures will show an a further increase on even those figures.. Yes it would be great to get all the EU states up to a common level, but that is never going to happen, it was interesting to read the Guardian's the only Brit claiming Benefit in Poland: http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...iming-benefits
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

Quote Originally Posted by Scout View Post
    I'm not sure why you say it is the same. With UK we was asked do we want Scotland to be split from the rest of the United Kingdom, we voted no get over it, EU really do we want to have rules made up from another country imposed on our fisherman or farmers etc. What I think is amazing the SNP and yes voters do not want Westminster to regulate Scotland but they happy for EU to be able to regulate fishing etc. ????
    Never could understand the logic of wishing to leave UK and the desire to be bossed by faceless european bureacrats in a EU that has a neo con fiscal policy, ok, swapping a devolved fiscally enabled parliament ( once the fiscal forumla is agreed ) for complete independance but readily accept EU dictats and be ploiced by EU fiscal strightjacket so swap UK / westminster involved in some common issues, and afully fiscal enabled devolved parliament for 100% dictats from EU.......senseless....shooting oursleves in the foot.

Sounds familiar? Have we been through this sort of thing before? Is it time to don those tinfoil helmets?

"Banking giant HSBC could move around 1,000 jobs from London to Paris if Britain votes to leave the EU, according to its chief executive."

http://www.aol.co.uk/news/2016/02/15...vent-of-brexit
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

I went to have a look at the in/out Poll and can't find it - so was I sleeping when I voted on it a week or so ago? or is this yet again a missing post that upset someone on the forum management team?

Quote Originally Posted by richardj View Post
    I went to have a look at the in/out Poll and can't find it - so was I sleeping when I voted on it a week or so ago? or is this yet again a missing post that upset someone on the forum management team?

Go go down to 'Politics', - it's there.

Thanks for the reply - so it has been moved to Politics, I think it should have been left alone under General - link to forum poll http://forum.caithness.org/showthrea...out-of-EU-Poll

It puzzles me that with all the discussion going on in the BBC there has been no mention there of what happens after the referendum in Scotland. They talk about keeping Britain together but since the SNP have this confused attitude that they want to be in the EU but not the UK, if the referendum goes against staying in the EU it gives the SNP their excuse for another independence referendum. This may result in Britain not staying together anyway. The fact that an independent Scotland may not be able to join the EU seems to be conveniently ignored by the SNP. The one thing that might influence me in June, and I am slightly on the fence at present, is the prospect of breaking up the UK which would be a complete disaster.

What we need is a reformed EU, more like the old Common Market, with no interference in each member's laws and less expensive bureaucracy.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

What we need is a reformed EU, more like the old Common Market, with no interference in each member's laws and less expensive bureaucracy.
    Totally agree, unfortunately it looks like common sense does not apply in other EU countries. I am too on the fence, after years of believing that the UK should remain in the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    It puzzles me that with all the discussion going on in the BBC there has been no mention there of what happens after the referendum in Scotland. They talk about keeping Britain together but since the SNP have this confused attitude that they want to be in the EU but not the UK, if the referendum goes against staying in the EU it gives the SNP their excuse for another independence referendum. This may result in Britain not staying together anyway. The fact that an independent Scotland may not be able to join the EU seems to be conveniently ignored by the SNP. The one thing that might influence me in June, and I am slightly on the fence at present, is the prospect of breaking up the UK which would be a complete disaster.

IS it really an issue, Scotland is part of UK, if UK votes out then Scotland is out. No one is wasting time fretting over a situation ( hypothetical ) that if the UK votes out and Scotland votes to stay ( a higher % of the vote as no one can predict exactly what the % will be ) ) , then Sturgeon may call indy2 , its a very minor issue. WHose to say anyway that Scots will vote to stay, and you cant speculate that people who vote to stay in EU, would automically become yes voters for Scottish independance. I agree the SNP are yet again confused by wanting to be in the EU but not the UK : also yes reality has been conveniently forgotten, plenty of EU states wouldnt want Scotland in as that would open the doors to other countries having nationalist seperationist parties shouting for independance etc. From a selfish viewpoint the EU wants the UK, they wouldnt want Scotland and a couple of small seperationist states ( Catalan for example ) In any case it takes yonks to gain entry it doesnt happen overnight and one thiings for sure, the currency will be euro's, and central bank will be the european bank with all financial shots called by the real big guns...Germany being top of the list.

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post

I don't think the SNP have a confused attitude ove the EU. They want Scotland to be a sovereign state and to a member of the EU. Pure and simple. Much the same as people want the UK to be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    I don't think the SNP have a confused attitude ove the EU. They want Scotland to be a sovereign state and to a member of the EU. Pure and simple. Much the same as people want the UK to be the same.

They are, SNP do not want to be regulated by Westminster team but they are very happy to be regulated by EU and over ruled by laws etc. That is confused.

They are, SNP do not want to be regulated by Westminster team but they are very happy to be regulated by EU and over ruled by laws etc. That is confused.
    Exactly. Sturgeon keeps saying this and it makes no sense to me since EU laws are just as strict and interfering as the UK's, if not more so. Also as Rob says, an independent Scotland is unlikely to be admitted to the EU anyway. Scotland on its own will be very isolated in the modern world.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Of course Scotland will be a sovereign state and a member of the EU. Sleverin Eck fae Strichen told me this himself and he is one of the most reliable people on this earth. Never known to tell a lee.

Westminster just want to bully and abuse everyone that ain't English. As a certain 'better together ' group said " it's not how you win just win ,be it lies ,deception or fear .if the public are dumb enough to vote for they only have theirselves to blame .
    (taken from a phone conversation with a MR Macdonald of better together.)

The difference being is that Scotland doesn't have a voice in the UK or in the EU, if it was independent then it would have a voice at the big table.

Right now down in Venice, wonderful place. Today went around the Mestre area to some of the markets there, and, as usual, (found it in France) in regard to standards of hygiene, cheeses and meats lying uncovered exposed to the air, no gloves being used.. unfortunately, or maybe in this instance fortunately WE follow slavishly the EU rules every time, no one else seems to.. Never mind. Anyway what's this insane nonsense of ms Sturgeon saying it will be trigger for another referendum IF the UK votes out and not all the Scots vote that way.. is the woman a simpleton? She seems to be under the misinterpretation that if anyone wants to stay in the UK (and don't get their way) they will vote for independence ? silly silly women - seems to ring a bell that some previous leader of the SNP told her precisely the same!
    I think a LOT of people will be very surprised that the UK government i.e. you and me and I do pay tax, send child allowance to 22,456 kids in Poland alone, obviously at the UK rate, which when you consider that in Poland if a person only earns 675Z (£120) they get 118Z (£21) a month - must be great to have us UK mugs being the cash cow! Of course as dozy said above "Westminster just want to bully and abuse everyone that ain't English.Of course" does not make a lot of sense, but then again it rarely does
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12