Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Brexit.

Default Brexit.

Is'nt it interesting that those backing Brexit argue for self determination for Britain yet a lot of these people argubly campaigned against self determination for Scotland during the 2014 ref. Stinks of hypocracy to me. If anyone wants to comment on this post please just dont carp SNP bad but come up with reasonable responce. Thakn you all in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by piratelassie View Post
    Is'nt it interesting that those backing Brexit argue for self determination for Britain yet a lot of these people argubly campaigned against self determination for Scotland during the 2014 ref. Stinks of hypocracy to me. If anyone wants to comment on this post please just dont carp SNP bad but come up with reasonable responce. Thakn you all in advance.
    Come on then piratelassie, do YOU how many Scots want to stay in EU or indeed how many Scots want to leave? You (SNP) can waffle as much as you like about a 'trigger point' to have a neverendum, but no mention of gauging the Scottish nations thoughts on IN/OUT? just the usual arrogant and indeed ignorant 'mutti' (that one's knackering it all too)
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

I thought a reasonable responce was too much to expect. The point being made was the hypocracy in the argument.

Quote Originally Posted by bekisman View Post
    Come on then piratelassie, do YOU how many Scots want to stay in EU or indeed how many Scots want to leave? You (SNP) can waffle as much as you like about a 'trigger point' to have a neverendum, but no mention of gauging the Scottish nations thoughts on IN/OUT? just the usual arrogant and indeed ignorant 'mutti' (that one's knackering it all too)

Quote Originally Posted by piratelassie View Post
    I thought a reasonable responce was too much to expect. The point being made was the hypocracy in the argument.
    I think the point is as you say: "those backing Brexit argue for self determination for Britain" as YOU say: BRITAIN, i.e. Great Britain.. United Kingdom.. IF you are so determined to stay with the EU, better that you [SNP?] vote to come out, and then when/if the UK votes to leave, you lot can have a hissy fit and demand a referendum, get independence, and then try to apply for EU membership - which you'll have to as you won't be a member.. that'll take a while..

I refer Piratewifie to her previous remarkably similar wine-related rambling.

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?249172-Eu

When I first saw the title of this thread I thought it was going to be an innocuous post about a new breakfast cereal called "Brexit".
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Came across a paper by University of Edinburgh dated March 2015 'Elite and Mass Attitudes and how the UK and it's parts are Governed' I see 'Table 9' gives the result of what the constituent parts of the UK think about the EU and if we should leave or not etc. I am surprised by the wailing and threats from the SNP who seem to think they have the superior position and knowledge of what we want 'up here' - as to me these Academic investigation shows we (the UK) are more or less the same..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1a britex.png 
Views:	136 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	28821

I think personally we shoud get e fir oot and go back to the original formula of the EEC.
    Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong.
    Muhammad Ali

Yep, quite agree: "The main aim of the EEC, as stated in its preamble, was to "preserve peace and liberty and to lay the foundations of an ever closer union among the peoples of Europe". Calling for balanced economic growth, this was to be accomplished through:1. The establishment of a customs union with a common external tariff. 2. Common policies for agriculture, transport and trade, including standardization. For example, the CE marking designates standards compliance) 3. Enlargement of the EEC to the rest of Europe"
    And that was it..

I'm all for that - alas the European Union is not, so I am reluctantly for "Leave". The foreigners need our trade (they sell more to Britain than Britain sells to them - our markets are over the ocean) so they will have to agree free trade, which may be a customs union. Aye for peace and trade and common standards (if they don't get silly) but we want to get our fishing grounds back.

"For never but by British hands
    Maun British wrangs be righted!" - Burns

I voted for independence (not an snp supporter) but I will vote for brexit . I would rather live in a united Uk outside the eu than an independent Scotland in the eu .

Quote Originally Posted by Sgitheanach View Post
    I voted for independence (not an snp supporter) but I will vote for brexit . I would rather live in a united Uk outside the eu than an independent Scotland in the eu .
    POlls show 60% SCots want to stay in EU, running against UK polls as a whole. If UK votes out, then Scotland is out as well being part of UK. If being a part of UK which voted to stay in and indy2 is called on this basis and a yes vote wins, we would will still have to wait a lenghty period to get EU membership.
    see http://news.stv.tv/scotland/1342305-...d-news-for-snp

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    POlls show 60% SCots want to stay in EU, running against UK polls as a whole. If UK votes out, then Scotland is out as well being part of UK. If being a part of UK which voted to stay in and indy2 is called on this basis and a yes vote wins, we would will still have to wait a lenghty period to get EU membership.
    see http://news.stv.tv/scotland/1342305-...d-news-for-snp
    With that in mind, do you think the English would just go along and give Scotland time in the wait to join or say "cheerio" immediately or asap. The border issue would be horrendous during the transition and after, think about it, how much goods traffic goes North and South to access the eec from Scotland and how much comes just from England, I cannot see the English having an open border to the North as the SNP seem to think it would be.
    Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong.
    Muhammad Ali

I think its time to pull the pin, we have been dictated from europe now for some time, and it is time to exit ,in other words get away , We have no say of anything, we are dictated in our fishing industry, the farming, our laws and more . As far as SNP concern they are just a joke , labour is not any better left left wing , as far as the torys go , they are looking after themselves and all corrupted. liberels have no party , or next to none,

Quote Originally Posted by Tam 2000 View Post
    I think its time to pull the pin, we have been dictated from europe now for some time, and it is time to exit ,in other words get away , We have no say of anything, we are dictated in our fishing industry, the farming, our laws and more . As far as SNP concern they are just a joke , labour is not any better left left wing , as far as the torys go , they are looking after themselves and all corrupted. liberels have no party , or next to none,
    SNP policy is to be independant and be members of Europe. Salmon is already qouted that should UK vote out and Scotland in thats enough to call a referendum which if yes means that Scotland will be independant but have to wait on EU membership which wont be fast tracked, that being the case the SNP shold come clean ( remmebr Salmons proven falsehoods on the EU question during the referendum ) and tell people the process of being indy and how they manage the transition period until they recieve EU membership. Otherwise what ar people voting on indy yes ( and no EU details ) indy and EU detail, or do they expect people to vote in blind faith that the EU issue will be quickly resolved just cos Scotland may well turn out Euro fans ?
    Last edited by rob murray; 11-Feb-16 at 10:22.

Quote Originally Posted by tonkatojo View Post
    With that in mind, do you think the English would just go along and give Scotland time in the wait to join or say "cheerio" immediately or asap. The border issue would be horrendous during the transition and after, think about it, how much goods traffic goes North and South to access the eec from Scotland and how much comes just from England, I cannot see the English having an open border to the North as the SNP seem to think it would be.
    Well thats the kind of information / details that needs clarity, should an out EU UK vote occur and larger % of scots want to stay in EU. ie That according to some is enough to trigger indy 2, but if its a yes vote in indy 2 where are we, as you rightly point out loads of issues will appear that wont go away, anyway the big questions havent been answered from last time around, ie currency, central bank / banking system/ process of EU membership, you know the stuff the electorate never got answers to last time around and hence voted no. So in any indy 2 the nats have to come clean on these big questions, so maybe indy2 based on continuing EU membership can be a good thing as the truth will have to come out. AN indy scotland will be treated no different than any other EU applicant and have some serious opposition to overcome...Spain for one. As regards your question would the English give Scotland time to join, with the nuisance and grievance poitics the nats have caused I would imagine it would be sod off now and get on with it. Of course that would open up more trouble over shared debt repayments, dismantling shared facilities / agencies etc. You know I personally think its all garbage I rather suspect the SNP have no intention of calling indy 2 and will remain part of UK and if UK votes to opt out of EU they will go along with it ....just my opnion mind and I hope Im right
    Last edited by rob murray; 11-Feb-16 at 10:28.

What's all this then: "MPs and HGV drivers have warned that EU plans which would force Britain to accept 90,000 refugees in the next year as part a quota will make Calais 'even more of a magnet' to migrants" Be nice to make our own decisions..