Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Should the Whaling row end Wick's twinning link with Klaksvik

We must have the most efficient council in the country by the time they can meddle in the affairs of others. I think until we have no potholes, decent services, amenities in a good state of repair and all our citizens cared for, Ross should concentrate on her own backyard. Local Council should be just that, local and not be an offshoot of a national embarrassment. Plus, do we not shoot game, deer and fish the rivers? Is there any difference? We should respect cultural differences between peoples? I am sure she said as much when she was telling us to open our doors to migrants, pandering to Sturgeon who offered to house some in her own home in a bout of gesture politics, who incidentally has yet to fill her spare room. Another unthought SNP policy, how long before we see the problems in Wick or Thurso that were evident on the streets of Cologne, Hamburg and Berlin on New Years Eve? Mass sexual assaults, largely unreported in this country due to the fact that all those responsible were Muslim migrants, do we want to import these people to Caithness to feed someone's political ego and aspirations? I certainly do not.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhencullin View Post
    We must have the most efficient council in the country by the time they can meddle in the affairs of others. I think until we have no potholes, decent services, amenities in a good state of repair and all our citizens cared for, Ross should concentrate on her own backyard. Local Council should be just that, local and not be an offshoot of a national embarrassment. Plus, do we not shoot game, deer and fish the rivers? Is there any difference? We should respect cultural differences between peoples? I am sure she said as much when she was telling us to open our doors to migrants, pandering to Sturgeon who offered to house some in her own home in a bout of gesture politics, who incidentally has yet to fill her spare room. Another unthought SNP policy, how long before we see the problems in Wick or Thurso that were evident on the streets of Cologne, Hamburg and Berlin on New Years Eve? Mass sexual assaults, largely unreported in this country due to the fact that all those responsible were Muslim migrants, do we want to import these people to Caithness to feed someone's political ego and aspirations? I certainly do not.

Way to turn a thread about whaling into a column from the Daily Mail.

Impressive that in the same post you can preach about respect for other cultures (which I entirely agree with) and yet in the very next sentence somehow manage to entirely undo your own point with a rant Hitler would've been proud of.

Imagine an emoji of a slow hand clap right here.

I notice this is your first post on the org and you appear not to have noticed the SNP bashing section is further down the forum index under politics. This is the general section where ordinary egos are exposed for examination. In this section councillors are granted the rights of ordinary people with all their vulnerabilities and prejudices laid waste to the wind.
    I'm sure you will find the tone and content in the political section completely in line with your own political ego.

Quite agree! these new chaps (?) coming along with their strange views - there's a place for that kind of thing!
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

There seem to be a lot of posts on this thread which have strayed from the subject in hand. Many posters have talked of hypocrisy and some suggest that we should not worry about the slaughtering of whales because there are other battles more important. If only we could correct all the wrongs in the world all in one go. Sadly, life is not that easy. When I go into town I have a list of things I need to do. As I go along I tick them off one by one. Anything I fail to do will go on the list for next time.

Luv

Janey

I do not want to be twinned with whale slaughterers. Break the link Gail.

Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    I do not want to be twinned with whale slaughterers. Break the link Gail.
    With some of the stories you've alluded to over the years Crayola I suspect you may have been twinned with worse.

Whaling has gone on for hundreds of years in the Faroe Islands. It went on when the twinning with Wick took place. Whaling is part of their culture and an important food source. Why should they stop because a Wick councillor does not like it. They are only taking what they need from the sea. They are not killing for sport.

Quote Originally Posted by the_big_mac View Post
    Way to turn a thread about whaling into a column from the Daily Mail.

Impressive that in the same post you can preach about respect for other cultures (which I entirely agree with) and yet in the very next sentence somehow manage to entirely undo your own point with a rant Hitler would've been proud of.

Imagine an emoji of a slow hand clap right here.
    I do apologise, you seemed to have missed my point, I was drawing attention to the fact that the local councillor was preaching about respecting others cultures in a previous topic, then undoes all her PC statements in this topic discriminating against the culture of the Faroese, when in fact this is a way of life to them and a source of food. This is a profile boosting episode on her part and this has been commented on in a previous post by another. I disagree with the "rant" suggestion, but then, if you were to read the "Mail" instead of the "Guardian" you may have more of a grip on the truth as to what is going on.

For individuals who think it is acceptable for the Faroes (and other Nations) to hunt and kill whales and dolphins then have a read about how the Faroes people kill the animals http://www.campaign-whale.org/campai...hale-slaughter - it is neither humane nor normal in my opinion. Tradition is fine, but not when it degrades you as a person as this behaviour obviously does.

Here here! There is no humane way to kill a whale and that is the point. As for morality, It is akin to slaughtering elephants for their ivory (although they may die more quickly than a whale) and most folk agree this is not acceptable either, even though people in the far East remain convinced that using animal parts can help with innumerable human ailments. Also, young people in Japan and elsewhere are turning away from whale meat and do not want to eat it, any more than most of us in Scotland want to eat pickled gannets/gugas!

Can you explain how slaughtering whales for food is on a par with slaughtering elephants for Ivory?

Do you also equate the slaughter of other food sources in the same bracket?

Whales and elephants are both mammals.

Immanuel Kant once wrote "He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with man. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals".

Luv

Janey

As are mice and rats, which are slaughtered with gay abandon

Perhaps Gay Abandon would like to post and explain herself!

I do apologise, you seemed to have missed my point, I was drawing attention to the fact that the local councillor was preaching about respecting others cultures in a previous topic, then undoes all her PC statements in this topic discriminating against the culture of the Faroese, when in fact this is a way of life to them and a source of food. This is a profile boosting episode on her part and this has been commented on in a previous post by another. I disagree with the "rant" suggestion, but then, if you were to read the "Mail" instead of the "Guardian" you may have more of a grip on the truth as to what is going on.
    Ha, naw, thanks though. You can keep the daily racist to yourself and live in a bubble of fear.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123