Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should the Whaling row end Wick's twinning link with Klaksvik

Default Should the Whaling row end Wick's twinning link with Klaksvik

The BBC has reported that the Whaling row could end Wick's twinning link with Klaksvik as Gail Ross called for last year. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...lands-35261244

So what would you do? personally I think whales need and should be protected and should not be hunted for any reason by The Faroes, Iceland, Japan or any other Nation, so my vote would be Yes to break the twinning link with Klaksvik.
    Last edited by richardj; 09-Jan-16 at 01:37.

Think the answer's here "In a report to Wednesday's meeting, council officers said contact between Wick and Klaksvik had been "limited" for several years.They said the last formal visit took place in 2001 and fishing links between the two places were no longer relevant because Wick was not now a designated fish landing port." Twinning anywhere is a waste of time and money; usually just a junket for Councillors
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

Heilanladdie's comment is priceless. http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/...e-08012016.htm
    A 1991 Gallup survey indicated that 49 percent of Americans didn't know that white bread is made from wheat.

If the Faroes wish to remain in the dark ages, and will not listen to reason, then maybe it's time for Wick to move on. Could this be an opportunity for Wick to find a new twinning partner that would benefit the local economy and also give our local schools the opportunity to exchange students and broaden their life experiences? I wonder if something really positive could come out of this?
    Last edited by janeyj; 09-Jan-16 at 19:58.

Irrespective of individuals views on whaling, I'm struggling to understand why our elected councillors are wasting tax payers money on an issue that they cannot influence. I would rather they paid for their lunches and focused on ensuring their own house was in order and give me value for my tax money.

Quote Originally Posted by crichton View Post
    Irrespective of individuals views on whaling, I'm struggling to understand why our elected councillors are wasting tax payers money on an issue that they cannot influence. I would rather they paid for their lunches and focused on ensuring their own house was in order and give me value for my tax money.
    A quick show of hands should do. Then on to 'Any Other Business'.
    Last edited by janeyj; 09-Jan-16 at 19:58.

Quote Originally Posted by janeyj View Post
    If the Faroes wish to remain in the dark ages, and will not listen to reason, then maybe it's time for Wick to move on. Could this be an opportunity for Wick to find a new twinning partner that would benefit the local economy and also give our local schools the opportunity to exchange students and broaden their life experiences? I wonder if something really positive could come out of this?
    Perhaps somewhere in Columbia, wickers are big fans of their marching powder.

Quote Originally Posted by davth View Post
    Perhaps somewhere in Columbia, wickers are big fans of their marching powder.
    What about one of those towns in Russia where mature housewives are wanting to date me?

Councillor Ross will no doubt twin Wick with somewhere more glamourous than Klaksvik for future junkets

she even managed to twin these 2 car parking spaces !

(picture courtesy of Parked Like a Knob Caithness)

Denmark is a member of The EU which is fully commited to a non whaling policy, Faroes are a dpendency of Denmark so how can they say they are entitled to kill cetaceans?
    Saying that it is a historical and cultural matter does n't wash either, many nations including britain used to hunt them but have moved on years since.

Quote Originally Posted by LIZZ View Post
    Denmark is a member of The EU which is fully commited to a non whaling policy, Faroes are a dpendency of Denmark so how can they say they are entitled to kill cetaceans?
    Saying that it is a historical and cultural matter does n't wash either, many nations including britain used to hunt them but have moved on years since.
    Well said!!!

So today the Mayor of Klaksvig has said that he wants a visit from Wick councillors so he can explain to them why slaughtering of whales is ok! Perhaps a better idea would be for the appropriate EU department to visit Klaksvig and threaten the town with the withdrawal of all their EU subsidies if they continue to ignore their 21st century responsibilities and remain in the dark ages!

There has been wide spread organised activities, over the recent past to stop the "grind" ( whale killing ) see https://www.causes.com/actions/17281...lling-festival Wick has to severe ties or would be seen as condoning what a largish % of people are actively resisting. We should be twinned with a town similar to Wick ie a former fishing port trying to re generate itself, maybe councillors could learn a trick or two.

Rob I totally agree ...

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    There has been wide spread organised activities, over the recent past to stop the "grind" ( whale killing ) see https://www.causes.com/actions/17281...lling-festival Wick has to severe ties or would be seen as condoning what a largish % of people are actively resisting. We should be twinned with a town similar to Wick ie a former fishing port trying to re generate itself, maybe councillors could learn a trick or two.

As much as the whale slaughter is wrong in my mind I have no right as a meat eater to impose my morality on another culture and considering I live in a country that sucks up to barbaric regimes that beheads people 50 at a time isnt it a bit cheeky at the least for Councillor Ross to send a threatening letter to the mayor of Klaksvik without even consulting her colleagues in the rest of the county?
    The Wick councillors have shown a complete disregard for diplomacy and because of that the only way out for them is an apology to the people of the Faroes and an apology to the people in the wider county of Caithness. Fat chance I know.
    As a matter of interest how many Wickers petitioned for their civic leaders to take this unilateral action?

I for one never asked them to speak on my behalf and I have lived in Caithness all of my 71 yrs

Lol dc1, you always were an independent person !
    Trust you are keeping well.

So Wick councillors have deferred any decision on cutting links with klaksvik until they have had a video chat with the town's mayor. Thank goodness our councillors wont be flying off to the Faroes. Who knows WHAT might have been on the menu at their welcome lunch!!! I wonder if our councillors have fallen into a bit of a trap here? We all know that Klaksvik will not stop the slaughter. So should Gail have sent Klaksvik an ultimatum? Myself I would say no. Ultimatums just put people's backs up and their views become even more entrenched. The right letter might simply have said 'we are ending our arrangement' and 'goodbye'. As for Roger Saxon fretting over whether Faroese fishermen will continue to use Scrabster. Does he REALLY think that Faroese fishermen will stop using his port over an issue involving Wick? If Roger really is so worried perhaps he should propose that Thurso twin with Klaksvik instead.

Quote Originally Posted by janeyj View Post
    So Wick councillors have deferred any decision on cutting links with klaksvik until they have had a video chat with the town's mayor. Thank goodness our councillors wont be flying off to the Faroes. Who knows WHAT might have been on the menu at their welcome lunch!!! I wonder if our councillors have fallen into a bit of a trap here? We all know that Klaksvik will not stop the slaughter. So should Gail have sent Klaksvik an ultimatum? Myself I would say no. Ultimatums just put people's backs up and their views become even more entrenched. The right letter might simply have said 'we are ending our arrangement' and 'goodbye'. As for Roger Saxon fretting over whether Faroese fishermen will continue to use Scrabster. Does he REALLY think that Faroese fishermen will stop using his port over an issue involving Wick? If Roger really is so worried perhaps he should propose that Thurso twin with Klaksvik instead.

I totally agree, just twin it with Thurso instead. I really feel that there should be no other option but to end the link, I'm disappointed with the councillors for not having the backbone to end it today.
    "One more round Micky"

Quote Originally Posted by gleeber View Post
    As much as the whale slaughter is wrong in my mind I have no right as a meat eater to impose my morality on another culture and considering I live in a country that sucks up to barbaric regimes that beheads people 50 at a time isnt it a bit cheeky at the least for Councillor Ross to send a threatening letter to the mayor of Klaksvik without even consulting her colleagues in the rest of the county?
    The Wick councillors have shown a complete disregard for diplomacy and because of that the only way out for them is an apology to the people of the Faroes and an apology to the people in the wider county of Caithness. Fat chance I know.
    As a matter of interest how many Wickers petitioned for their civic leaders to take this unilateral action?
    Excellent Post.

A large proportion of people opposed to whale slaughter will be happily tucking into beef burgers and haddock suppers this weekend without a hint of irony. These people think they have the superior mindset to believe THEIR way is best ant that THEY can control what other peoples and cultures can and cannot do.

Perhaps these elitists of morality should spend some time walking around the supermarkets of Wick and try to find beef and other meats that have NOT been classified Halal? I wonder what the people of the Faroe Isles would think about this type of slaughter?

Regardless of peoples views on this, or what we can eat, I think it's fair to say it has NOTHING to do with local politics. As for Councillor Ross, I think it's clear to see this had nothing to do with consultation of her electorate or other members of the council - even if this was a local government matter which it is not.

Gail Ross has well publicised ambitions to join higher levels of government. This is nothing more than a publicity exercise for her to raise her profile within the SNP and seek the nomination to stand for parliament. Nothing to do with Whales. Nothing to do with Wick.

I long for the days when members of the local council campaign for local matters that matter. Things that are the concern of those who they represent, and is the business of people at that level. Public facilities. Street cleanliness. Jobs in the area. People who serve the area for the good of the area, not to serve their own ambition and fuel their own egos.

I have no idea what the outcome of this whole debacle will be, but I'm absolutely sure that civic meetings, no doubt with grand dinners for Cllr Ross and her counterpart at the expense of the public purse would bring no good to the people of Wick. It would only draw cash and resource AWAY from the things our councillors should be worrying about.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast