Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eu

Default Eu

Can anybody explain to me why it is ok to argue for self determination for Britain outside the EU yet argue against self determination for Scotland outside the UK. This is a complete contradiction in PRINCIPLE is it not?

If Scotland in the UK and the UK out of the EU is what people want, then yes they can argue for those two things.

Should everywhere be independent of everywhere else?

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    If Scotland in the UK and the UK out of the EU is what people want, then yes they can argue for those two things.

Should everywhere be independent of everywhere else?
    I agree, where does independence end, the highlands become independent of Scotland? the countys become independent of the highlands? Before anybody says it's idiotic to consider it to that level, somebody will want it. Because what they don't have is always better than what they do have, isn't it?

You can argue for whatever you want, doesn't mean you'll get it though...

eg. If you want to argue that Scotland should become the 53rd State of the USA then go for it.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Quote Originally Posted by piratelassie View Post
    Can anybody explain to me why it is ok to argue for self determination for Britain outside the EU yet argue against self determination for Scotland outside the UK. This is a complete contradiction in PRINCIPLE is it not?
    Who is arguing ?
    Last edited by rob murray; 17-Dec-15 at 17:01.

Never thought i'd get an exolaination on the principal.

Never thought i'd get an exolaination on the principal.
    What principle ? I dont follow your logic.

To 'argue' (and indeed vote) is called 'Democracy', the issues appertaining to each of these two circumstances are by their very nature complex and fundamentally different.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    What principle ? I dont follow your logic.

You appear to be telling people what they should think.

It seems likely that many people who are against Scottish independence, would like to advance the interests of the United Kingdom.

WHat ? If you mean another referendum write to Ms Sturgeon as she's the one stopping it.

Those arguing to come out of the EU are doing so because they want self determination for Britain. Therefore anyone who is of that persuasion and at the same time opposed self determination for Scotland during the Indy. Ref. are being hypocritical.

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    WHat ? If you mean another referendum write to Ms Sturgeon as she's the one stopping it.

Those arguing to come out of the EU are doing so because they want self determination for Britain. Therefore anyone who is of that persuasion and at the same time opposed self determination for Scotland during the Indy. Ref. are being hypocritical.
    Are you talking about people in England and Wales?

It hardly matters when we, the Scottish people, do not want independence, does it?

Don't worry piratelassie, IF the EU referendum votes to stay IN, we can always have another referendum, is that not the SNP way?
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

Pepole in England and Wales did'nt vote in the Indy ref. I thought you would know that. That dos'nt alter the fact that those I refer to are hypocrits.

Are you talking about people in England and Wales?

It hardly matters when we, the Scottish people, do not want independence, does it?

Pepole in England and Wales did'nt vote in the Indy ref. I thought you would know that. That dos'nt alter the fact that those I refer to are hypocrits.
    Then who and what are you talking about?

Try saying it a different way.

Then who and what are you talking about?

Try saying it a different way.
    I've been a MENSA member for 40 years and I don't understand her either
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

I get you now I think what your saying is if your a scot and want out of EU but still want to be British you say that theyre hypocrites, ok but what if your a scot who doesnt want to come out of the EU and stay British ie wants the status quo are they hyopcorites ? anyway whats yer point, what do you hope to achieve by making this point ? Lets say Ive changed my mind and now want to vote yes for indy, whens the referendum being held, can you update me please. Ms Sturgeon is on record as saying ahe will hold a referendum when they ( pro indy ) are sure of winning so whens that then ?
    Last edited by rob murray; 18-Dec-15 at 14:06.

The people of Scotland were deprived of independence by ourselves, the people of Scotland when we voted against it.

We weren't deprived of self-determination. The referendum was self-determination and we determined that we should stay in the UK.

We are the only country in history who have rejected self determination when it was handed to us on a plate, does that just not make you proud. I know it sounds like sour grapes but never the less what a proud nation we are . Incidently Canada is a single nation, Scotland is a single country.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast