Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Religion....

Quote Originally Posted by Janmac101 View Post
    Perhaps....To each his/her own decision.
    [People generally must believe in something....
    e.g. Alcoholics Anon and
    The Masonic Lodge to name two.

If we do not believe then we do not do our best. It brings success
    You are right - as an atheist though I would have to think that it is better to believe in ourselves.
    D'oH! My brain hurts...

Quote Originally Posted by John Little View Post
    You are right - as an atheist though I would have to think that it is better to believe in ourselves.
    what if atheists have got it all wrong? I think they may have.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    what if atheists have got it all wrong? I think they may have.

And there's the smoking gun. It's not so much me who is right but its you who is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by gleeber View Post
    And there's the smoking gun. It's not so much me who is right but its you who is wrong.
    You are a very wise man Gleeber.

That is exactly why I prefaced my remark. I don't tell people what to believe.

I'm interested - but it's their business, not mine.
    D'oH! My brain hurts...

No, religion never killed anyone. It's the people who think that their imaginary god is superior to everyone else's imaginary god that kill people. So, per se, religion does kill, or is the root cause. I also wonder about the motive for the original post.
    robertianrae.co.uk
    hutchthedog.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by RIR View Post
    No, religion never killed anyone. It's the people who think that their imaginary god is superior to everyone else's imaginary god that kill people. So, per se, religion does kill, or is the root cause. I also wonder about the motive for the original post.
    One is cause.

The other is effect.

Of itself, per se, religion does not kill.

I agree with what you say about people and their imaginary god- it is what people do with ideas that causes them to kill. But not the idea itself. Human choice is what does it.

The motive of the original post is discussion.
    The Org has been a good place to discuss things.

A good place to toss your thoughts amongst other people.

There is no compulsion to do it though and no-one is forcing you to.
    D'oH! My brain hurts...

One is cause.

The other is effect.

Of itself, per se, religion does not kill.

I agree with what you say about people and their imaginary god- it is what people do with ideas that causes them to kill. But not the idea itself. Human choice is what does it.

The motive of the original post is discussion.
    The Org has been a good place to discuss things.

A good place to toss your thoughts amongst other people.

There is no compulsion to do it though and no-one is forcing you to.
    Don't patronise me.

You may be popular on here with some, but you spam the place with posts irrelevant to the area, and come across as some sort of pseudo intellectual, who hardly ever comes near the place. Religion, whether cause OR effect, kills. I will not be reading or replying to any further posts of yours. If your wife lets you post, that is.
    robertianrae.co.uk
    hutchthedog.co.uk

Don't patronise me.

You may be popular on here with some, but you spam the place with posts irrelevant to the area, and come across as some sort of pseudo intellectual, who hardly ever comes near the place. Religion, whether cause OR effect, kills. I will not be reading or replying to any further posts of yours. If your wife lets you post, that is.
    Oh dear. What a pity.

You gave an opinion. I answered it.
    You questioned the motive.
    I gave the motive.

Goodbye then
    D'oH! My brain hurts...

You are a very wise man Gleeber.

That is exactly why I prefaced my remark. I don't tell people what to believe.

I'm interested - but it's their business, not mine.
    Someone once called me the stupidist wisest so and so he had ever met. I took it as a compliment. It keeps my feet on the ground and my head in the clouds.

I would say well done John Little for trying to take the org off its knees. This was the bread and butter stuff I grew up with on the org. It was exciting and it was new. Most of us never had the chance to air views like this before the internet came along. It all ended painfully though.
    I've grown to respect religion. Imagination in the realms of the mind is as real as a slap on the side of the head. If imagination is used to improve our lives its as beneficial to the human spirit as watching the stars and just as real.

Don't patronise me.

Hey, thought John has just written a book about his life up here? or am I missing something!
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

Damn! If I could give that rep Gleeber then I would.

i used once to live in Caithness many many years ago. I return occasionally.
    i found it had something unique. A community forum which talked about everything.
    Absolutely everything.

i have never seen anything like it. If my mind was trying to sort something out all I had to do was ask a few questions on here and all the aspects of everything would come out.

its not a challenge. Not a rumble. It's discussion and argument.

i like discussion and argument.

in the last few days, even though I have seen many topics posted, i have been told what I should not be posting by more than one. When thought police take over, a forum is in trouble.

dont think too much.
    dont write too much.
    dont.... In case you look clever even if you ain't.

i also respect religion though I am not religious. Those last two sentences of yours are just brilliant and if I take anything away from this souring thread it will be those word because they lift me.

Thank you.
    D'oH! My brain hurts...

Lol!

Careful Golach.

Folk might think yer a grumpy old man.

i suggest you read that post again.

D'oH! My brain hurts...

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    to get the rep that Gleeber has, you have to be respected, by the members of the Org, which in MHO you have not
    Just to point out, judging by the green reputation marks John has the same level of reputation as gleeber.

Quote Originally Posted by Niall Fernie View Post
    Just to point out, judging by the green reputation marks John has the same level of reputation as gleeber.
    in that case I apologise , and have deleted my post
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by Niall Fernie View Post
    I was peeved my name was mentioned and when I saw it at 7 o clock this morning I pmd John Little and offered him my support. He seemed to be ok with it when he responded but when I logged on later in the day I saw his post. I wondered if something else had happened during the course of the day and I missed it?
    He took some stick and didn't deserve it. At least I didn't think so. There's the problem with forums. Facebooks worse. Some of the comments on facebook are horrendous and nasty but I'm sure if you met the people in real life they would be ordinary people just like you and me. Maybe I wouldn't want to be around them too long but you know what I mean.
    Maybe John would come back and we could discuss it? He has plenty support and it could be interesting.
    He certainly got me thinking with his posts and well done to Beks for his encouragement.

Surely it's not only what humans do with guns but with ideology, faith and superstition.

In my humble opinion, it is the perversion of faiths that causes the problem- and it always has done, so far as I can see but that does not make religion wrong and something that needs to be 'abolished'. All the latter leads to is more (usually state) persecution of people of faith which is just as wrong as any other form of persecution.

If I followed a religion, what benefit would I get from it?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    A blinking good question Rheggy - I seemed to have managed without it for 70+ years, led a reasonably good life, helped people, don't hurt 'em.. always thought that a religion is not necessary to lead a good life, hopefully personal conscious, life's lessons and personal experience would give 'enough'?
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    There are chicks in churches.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast