Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horses to suffer another winter?

Default Horses to suffer another winter?

Does anyone else share my concerns about the condition of two horses kept just past Lochend, Greenland. I intend to write to the SSPCA to bring to their attention to the worsening conditions.The horse is in a field at a derelict property with no shelter whatsoever, not even a coat, to protect it from the worst of the winter weather and provide some modicum of comfort and protection. The owner sporadically gives bales of hay which of course are now saturated ,the field is a 'bog' with no grass just mud, surely this is not giving adequate care and attention by any reasonable means? The other pony is in a field adjacent so they are separated, horses are herd animals and should be together. Passing by this evening after yet another heavy shower and falling temperatures the horse looked a forlorn sight. The 'owner' of these horses? Shame on you

Indeed, it's beyond me why people have animals if they are not willing to look after them, shocking way to "care" for them. Good luck with contacting the SSPCA you may need it.

Phone the SSPCA 03000 999 999, they are open between 7am and 11pm, the calls are confidential. I had to call them a few weeks ago because I was really concerned about some dogs. I phoned them just after 9pm, because the officers had already finished, I was advised to contact the Police, who did attend, and sorted the matter out. Because you have concerns, let them know and they will do something, I personally thought I was overreacting, but they assured me I was not.

Good luck with the SSPCA - be better to call the World Horse Welfare (formerly the ILPH) they are a lot more caring about the welfare of animals and horses

Quote Originally Posted by roshep View Post
    Does anyone else share my concerns about the condition of two horses kept just past Lochend, Greenland. I intend to write to the SSPCA to bring to their attention to the worsening conditions.The horse is in a field at a derelict property with no shelter whatsoever, not even a coat, to protect it from the worst of the winter weather and provide some modicum of comfort and protection. The owner sporadically gives bales of hay which of course are now saturated ,the field is a 'bog' with no grass just mud, surely this is not giving adequate care and attention by any reasonable means? The other pony is in a field adjacent so they are separated, horses are herd animals and should be together. Passing by this evening after yet another heavy shower and falling temperatures the horse looked a forlorn sight. The 'owner' of these horses? Shame on you
    I have sent you a PM roshep.

I'm not sure either party will be able to do much From World Horse Welfare: http://www.worldhorsewelfare.org/When-should-I-call

Unfortunately there are a number of issues which, although not ideal, are not illegal and can therefore be very difficult for us to resolve. The following are examples of such and usually there is no need for us to attend unless the horse has one of the issues listed above or is clearly in danger or obvious distress.

Lack of rug. Most horses in the UK can cope without a rug in winter.
    Lack of shelter. Shelter can be natural as well as manmade. Ideally horses should always have access to shelter but it is not a legal requirement.
    Tethering. It is legal to tether horses providing it is not causing them a physical problem or done in a dangerous way. Many tethered horses will not be left with water at all times for a variety of reasons – although not always evident, owners of tethered horses will often bring water and food at specific times during the day (possibly very early in the morning or very late at night).
    Lack of food or water. It is not a legal requirement to provide these at all times so there is nothing we can do about this specifically. However, horses which aren’t getting food or water will soon start to show physical signs, in which case we would encourage people to contact us as soon as possible.
    Horses straying on the road should always be reported to the police as a matter of urgency. If there are any physical problems with the horses, we can also be contacted.
    Ragwort problems should be reported to Natural England.
    Lack of companionship. Although horses are herd animals and therefore ideally should be kept with others, it is not a legal requirement.
    Waterlogged or muddy field.
    Please remember that if any of these situations is accompanied by a physical problem with the horse, we would like to know more. We are also always happy to discuss individual situations in more detail, so please don’t ever hesitate to contact us if you are unsure.

They've got some pictures on that page of situations that they can help with - if the horses are emaciated, have overgrown or split hooves, untreated skin conditions (if you can get close enough, check their heels for signs of mud fever), laminitis, etc. - but if hay is being brought and they have a derelict building to shelter behind, there's nothing illegal going on.

Every the busy-body. You know absolutely nothing about how these horses are kept. I suggest you keep your lies and your stirring to yourself. Armchair animal rights activists. Horses roamed this earth long before we ever did and are hardy creatures. Maybe you should leave your cuddly animal opinions to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by cazmanian_minx View Post
    I'm not sure either party will be able to do much From World Horse Welfare: http://www.worldhorsewelfare.org/When-should-I-call

Unfortunately there are a number of issues which, although not ideal, are not illegal and can therefore be very difficult for us to resolve. The following are examples of such and usually there is no need for us to attend unless the horse has one of the issues listed above or is clearly in danger or obvious distress.

Lack of rug. Most horses in the UK can cope without a rug in winter.
    Lack of shelter. Shelter can be natural as well as manmade. Ideally horses should always have access to shelter but it is not a legal requirement.
    Tethering. It is legal to tether horses providing it is not causing them a physical problem or done in a dangerous way. Many tethered horses will not be left with water at all times for a variety of reasons – although not always evident, owners of tethered horses will often bring water and food at specific times during the day (possibly very early in the morning or very late at night).
    Lack of food or water. It is not a legal requirement to provide these at all times so there is nothing we can do about this specifically. However, horses which aren’t getting food or water will soon start to show physical signs, in which case we would encourage people to contact us as soon as possible.
    Horses straying on the road should always be reported to the police as a matter of urgency. If there are any physical problems with the horses, we can also be contacted.
    Ragwort problems should be reported to Natural England.
    Lack of companionship. Although horses are herd animals and therefore ideally should be kept with others, it is not a legal requirement.
    Waterlogged or muddy field.
    Please remember that if any of these situations is accompanied by a physical problem with the horse, we would like to know more. We are also always happy to discuss individual situations in more detail, so please don’t ever hesitate to contact us if you are unsure.

They've got some pictures on that page of situations that they can help with - if the horses are emaciated, have overgrown or split hooves, untreated skin conditions (if you can get close enough, check their heels for signs of mud fever), laminitis, etc. - but if hay is being brought and they have a derelict building to shelter behind, there's nothing illegal going on.
    What a great piece of info. Methinks this is what the ORG needs.
    Good commonsense people.. Says it as it is, without the 'flowery' language of some/
    Interesting....One uses it too too much, the other tries, but gets it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Janmac101 View Post
    What a great piece of info. Methinks this is what the ORG needs.
    Good commonsense people..
    It is. People put coats on horses not keep them warm but to stop their hair from not being perfect at their next gymkhana. These horses are in excellent condition as anyone who actually knows anything about horses will tell you if they inspect them. How did several billion years of life on earth manage to survive without interfering ignorant busy bodies along the way ?

Gosh these new members (hunsterboy) certainly get stuck in as soon as they join, seems to be a LOT of new folk on here, all of a sudden?
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

Quote Originally Posted by bekisman View Post
    Gosh these new members (hunsterboy) certainly get stuck in as soon as they join, seems to be a LOT of new folk on here, all of a sudden?

I was just thinking that myself. God forbid anybody should be concerned about the welfare of animals.

As one of the 'busybodies' husterboy seems so enraged about 'methinks he doth protest too much' (sorry Shakespear) I make absolutely no apologies to him or anyone else. Compassion and interest in animals does not brand someone an 'activist' , just a caring human being. I thank (most!) correspondents for their input, good to know that there are some kind hearted people out there.

As one of the 'busybodies' husterboy seems so enraged about 'methinks he doth protest too much' (sorry Shakespear) I make absolutely no apologies to him or anyone else. Compassion and interest in animals does not brand someone an 'activist' , just a caring human being. I thank (most!) correspondents for their input, good to know that there are some kind hearted people out there.
    It's alright then to make some random false accusations about other people and their property ? Oh well I better take a run past your house then and come back here and accuse you of something ridiculous. I challenge you to present clear evidence here that there is anything at all wrong with these animals - or present an apology. I know 100% that you'll be providing the apology. On you go - get out your vehicle and inspect their teeth, hooves, chest. Anything you want because you will find a couple of sturdy healthy creatures.

You can live your existence as a mad lonely cat woman but don't cast your pathetic ignorance onto other people's lives . You can't even tell us the breed of the horses I bet.

Steady up Neddy - opps I mean hunsterboy!

I'm pretty sure they're for sale, I can give you the contact details if you're interested
    Last edited by arransinclair; 18-Dec-15 at 18:16.

Your verbal diarrohoea just confirms my point. I stand by everything said and you will not change my opinion in the slightest so don't even bother to reply. You are in the minority and therefore somewhat irrelevant.

Your verbal diarrohoea just confirms my point. I stand by everything said and you will not change my opinion in the slightest so don't even bother to reply. You are in the minority and therefore somewhat irrelevant.
    He's somewhat relevant if he owns the horse.

Sorry, but how is offering my assistance "verbal diarrhea"? And I don't think I suggested that you change your opinion..

my browser has this advert at the bottom of this thread

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	horse.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	28440

who needs to horse around with games like Howrse when you've got threads like this ?

Sorry, my comments weren't directed to you, a case of pressing the wrong reply button! I appreciate your input so once again apologies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast