Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Crafty Cookies

Default Crafty Cookies

I may have posted this before, but I think it’s worth another airing.
    I have been trying to book some flights to get from the frozen North to Gran Canaria to take a week of winter sunshine and because I can be flexible about when I go I took advantage of the 3 week window on the Easyjet website.
    I found some suitable flights at very reasonable prices, but needed to check availability of dog sitters, chicken feeders and the all-important accommodation availability for when we arrive so I logged in and out a few times before deciding to commit myself.
    This is where the issues of cookies stored on your computer comes into play with the flight provider, because after logging in and out a few times the prices started to go up to give the impression that the seats are selling fast which leads you to panic book.
    I am flying from Inverness to Gatwick and then forward to Gran Canaria so I needed to get it just right with the connections and I wasn’t going to be pushed into getting it wrong, so when I was ready to press “go for it” I cleared all the cookies off my computer and all the prices came down quite a bit.
    I know the more computer savvy amongst you will already be aware of this and I hope it’s of use to those that may be thinking of booking a flight. I also got the cheapest flight to date from Inverness to Gatwick at £1.99 each, so well worth the bother.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Milkins View Post
    I may have posted this before, but I think it’s worth another airing.
    I have been trying to book some flights to get from the frozen North to Gran Canaria to take a week of winter sunshine and because I can be flexible about when I go I took advantage of the 3 week window on the Easyjet website.
    I found some suitable flights at very reasonable prices, but needed to check availability of dog sitters, chicken feeders and the all-important accommodation availability for when we arrive so I logged in and out a few times before deciding to commit myself.
    This is where the issues of cookies stored on your computer comes into play with the flight provider, because after logging in and out a few times the prices started to go up to give the impression that the seats are selling fast which leads you to panic book.
    I am flying from Inverness to Gatwick and then forward to Gran Canaria so I needed to get it just right with the connections and I wasn’t going to be pushed into getting it wrong, so when I was ready to press “go for it” I cleared all the cookies off my computer and all the prices came down quite a bit.
    I know the more computer savvy amongst you will already be aware of this and I hope it’s of use to those that may be thinking of booking a flight. I also got the cheapest flight to date from Inverness to Gatwick at £1.99 each, so well worth the bother.
    Very true, I try and use something else when looking ie another laptop in a different location as well as using different log-in details (like on here I suppose, quite a few, not me, as sock-puppets), then when I'm read I swoop with my registered log-in for ME.. saved me a LOT over the years.. but yes it is interesting to watch the prices rise on each log-in when using albeit 'false' log-ins. I've noticed too that as the price rises for seats towards the flight date, they often come down substantially shortly before - can't blame the airlines for , what is in effect a come on, but pre-warned is pre-armed..
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."