Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: underrated guitarist

Default underrated guitarist

every time i see a top ten guitarist list its nearly always the same names you see herdrix via sat clapton i wonder if anybody has a top ten underrated guitarist dave gilmore is agood example angus young is another rory gallagher they never get a mention

Quote Originally Posted by appleskin View Post
    every time i see a top ten guitarist list its nearly always the same names you see herdrix via sat clapton i wonder if anybody has a top ten underrated guitarist dave gilmore is agood example angus young is another rory gallagher they never get a mention
    I'll put the same one in again, underrated and still the best the world has ever seen next to Santana.

Django Rheinhardt

Could whip the best and only used two fingers on the fret board

in a house wi lights, but it is a light house

Bill Nelson of Bebop Deluxe

Dave Gilmore for sure, Lenny Kravitz and no doubt... Brian May from Queen. He seems to get over looked a lot, but his playing was very very clever.

Les Paul!!!!!!!!!!
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

Quote Originally Posted by Gleber2 View Post
    Les Paul!!!!!!!!!!
    For once, I agree.

Aye, ye cannae knock ol' Les Paul. Quality.

I'd add Martin Barre while I was at it too.
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

Thumbs up

Dave Johnson, top Nashville session player who we had the privilege of jamming with a couple of weeks ago. He was mind blowing indeedly. He and his musician friends were a scream, certainly a night to remember. He gets my vote.
    Asinus asinum fricat

Crikey.

How can anyone claim that Gilmour, Young or May are underrated?

These guys are massivelt appreciated as guitarists.

Les Paul too.

Now Martin Barre, very true he is not often mentioned.

Surprising nimination coming from someone who ain't even a Tull fan.

I would say that Prince is very underrated as a guitar player, definitely up there.

Garcia too, although underrated as a shredder by people who only think he was a hippy.

Gleber2 is pretty much underrated, because Caithness folks don't always appreciate what they have in their midst.

.)

Quote Originally Posted by Boozeburglar View Post

I would say that Prince is very underrated as a guitar player, definitely up there.
    Most definatelty, one of the best rock guitarists around, his half time show at the USA Superbowl this year was phenominal, pure wondrous 6 string entertainment!

Allan Holdsworth is amazing but at times his statistcal denisty can be over bearing....

The late great Steve Marriott, ex Small Face, Humble Pie and Packet of Three, best I have ever seen live. ( Good enough to record with Buddy Guy )

here is someone who I was introduced to through one of their albums recently, he was the lead singer and guitarist with The Outlaws, a Southern Rock band in the style of Skynard, this guy can really kick it and since I never heard of him he must be underrated

Hughie Thomasson

If you'd like to hear him play it loud and live get the album "Bring it Back Alive" by The Outlaws. Alec McIntosh was telling me he saw them back The Who back in 1978 or so. The album itself is really worth a listen, one of th best live albums I have heard.

The Outlaws

Quote Originally Posted by Chobbersjnr View Post
    Bill Nelson of Bebop Deluxe
    Bebop Deluxe...........thanks for reminding me.......I'm off to itunes to download some of their stuff
    'Cause if my eyes don't deceive me,
    There's something going wrong around here

Quote Originally Posted by scotsboy View Post
    Bebop Deluxe...........thanks for reminding me.......I'm off to itunes to download some of their stuff
    Sister Seagull.......... Beautiful!!

How about Scotty Moor and Chuck Berry, both very original talents.

in a house wi lights, but it is a light house

who was the guy that played lead in Bill Haley's Comets???

he rocks all the way around the clock. Man that's some solo

Quote Originally Posted by Chobbersjnr View Post
    who was the guy that played lead in Bill Haley's Comets???

he rocks all the way around the clock. Man that's some solo
    Danny Cedrone he died in the same year as recording that and Shake Rattle and Roll, he fell down a flight of stairs and broke his neck, very sad.

Allegedly he could not be there for rehearsal for Rock around the Clock and did the recording of the record with no practice, and just put in what he felt right at the time, not sure if that is true or not?

Mick Ronson of the Spiders From Mars. Don`t think the Ziggy period would have been the same without him. Also did good work with Ian Hunter and in producing various new wave bands.

Default Underrated guitarists

How about 3 masters of the Telecaster, Danny Gatton, Jerry Donahue and Roy Buchahan. Buchanan's rendition of Sweet Dreams is breathtaking (check it out on You Tube)
    A great slide player worth listening to is Sonny Landreth, the Outward Bound album is a good place to start.
    Joe Bonamassa is a great blues player in the SRV mould. Have a listen to the track Blues Deluxe from the album of the same name.
    Finally have a listen to a new band Grady, they are a 3 piece very much in the style of early ZZ Top meets Elmore James with attitude. Their guitarist Gordie "Grady" Johnson really rocks, Check out their web site for free tracks on WWW.shadygrady.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast