Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Independance Day parties

Default Independance Day parties

Anyone got any big celebrations planned for Independence Day at the end of next month? Might be a job lot of fireworks available from Sydney if you can get them shipped over quickly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    Anyone got any big celebrations planned for Independence Day at the end of next month? Might be a job lot of fireworks available from Sydney if you can get them shipped over quickly enough.
    The end of next month is not the end of Brexit. You might want to consider it the end of the beginning, the negotiations go on, the end in not inevitable.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Whoopy Doopy Doo. The streets of Scotland will be dripping with Union Flag bunting, and the tables laden with good auld British Whisky and British Shortbread. I have already looked oot ma thermal simmet an' drawers. (might be a bit cauld next month). Then we'll all dance aboot with bells on our knees and waving hankies and wee Union Flags in the air, while Boris sings, from the big screens set up, his version of that well known Proclaimers song.....♪♫♪♪ I will tell 500 lies and I will tell 500 more.♫♪♫♫, and joy will be echoed across the glens.

It will be so much fun, just like all they street parties Scotland has for the Queen's Birthdays and things like that. Ye know the ones?

A cannae wait.

Oh dear oh dear. The biggest threat as far as I'm concerned is climate change and for that, we need folk from all over the world to come together not this endless bickering. The next vital meeting is to be held in Glasgow....

Don't worry Fulmar, what you desire is already happening. By the time of the Glasgow summit, there will be an extra 100 million people on the world who can come together. And many of them are already risking life and limb to get here. You'll have plenty people able to come to the Glasgow summit. It will not be a washout.

Quote Originally Posted by Shabbychic View Post
    It will be so much fun, just like all they street parties Scotland has for the Queen's Birthdays and things like that. Ye know the ones?
    I think I have vaguely heard about them on the 19th of July every year for the last 5 years or so. But they don't really happen up here. Its more a Central Belt thing.

As an aside, why do the folk in the south of Scotland call it the Central Belt, when the actual centre of Scotland is up between Blair Atholl and Dalwhinnie?

As an aside, why do the folk in the south of Scotland call it the Central Belt, when the actual centre of Scotland is up between Blair Atholl and Dalwhinnie?
    For the same reason that "The North" is actually in the middle I guess.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Surely you don't mean that in Scotland, those in the deep south of Edinburgh and Glasgow don't give a jot about the real North? God, imagine if we were totally ruled by, say, Hollyrood. Us up here in the North wouldn't get a look in. Oh, hang on a minute, that happens already. https://www.orcadian.co.uk/scottish-...ouncil-leader/

Surely you don't mean that in Scotland, those in the deep south of Edinburgh and Glasgow don't give a jot about the real North? God, imagine if we were totally ruled by, say, Hollyrood. Us up here in the North wouldn't get a look in. Oh, hang on a minute, that happens already. https://www.orcadian.co.uk/scottish-...ouncil-leader/
    Do you really believe Westminster would do better for us up here in the north? They class the whole of Scotland as North Britain, so I can't really see them giving us special attention.

Do you really believe Westminster would do better for us up here in the north? They class the whole of Scotland as North Britain, so I can't really see them giving us special attention.
    I've only heard Scotland referred to as 'North Britain' twice on this forum......guess who the other poster was?

Can I see the evidence for Westminster calling Scotland 'North Britain'? At which debate did this take place?

Shabby....a geography lesson for you (does that sound familiar?) Look at the picture, Scotland is in fact the Northern part of Great Britain Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gb.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	35026

Must ask, how heavy is that chip on your shoulder?

Nice piece written by Prof Adam Tomkins about North Britain (I don't understand why you see this as a slur on Scotland) https://notesfromnorthbritain.wordpr...ritain-and-me/

Well, aside from the above discussion on North Britain, do you really believe Holyrood would do better for us up here in the North? They already erroneously claim that Edinburgh and Glasgow in the centre of Scotland - - and probably think that North Scotland starts at Dunblane and ends at Aberfeldy.

Since Thurso and Wick have so much in common, shouldn’t they be renamed Caithnesstown North and Caithnesstown East? Or, if either has a remote link to Tomkins, they could be Tomkinstown North and Tomkinstown East.

Yay! 24 and a bit hours to go!

Happy Independance Day everyone!

Gonna be a busy one here. Union Jack underpants already on, but lots of preps to make for later. Aside from all the party food and drinks too look out, we'll better get ready for all the issues that the remoaners have been warning us about.

Better get the bath filled with water, the torches and candles looked out and do some last minute panic buying of food. Get to the bank to buy euros and dollars for when the pound falls through the floor at 2301. Get the fuel tanks all filled up, as apparently there will be none by morning. Check all the clocks are working as once the world stops turning at 2300, we'll need them to know when night stops and day starts.

A busy day then.

Like most folk, I am aware that the UK is about to enter the Brexit transition phase which means that nothing much is going to change overnight. This transition is due to end on 31 December 2020 after which time the full impact of Brexit will hit home.

In the meantime the scare stories above, which have been so gloatingly dismissed as the UK leaves the EU, will still be employed to scare people about the prospect of Scotland leaving the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Corky Smeek View Post
    In the meantime the scare stories above, which have been so gloatingly dismissed as the UK leaves the EU, will still be employed to scare people about the prospect of Scotland leaving the UK.
    It makes one wonder why, if Scotland has been such a drain on England's resources for the last 300 and odd years, they were so keen to capture us in the first place...and are still so keen to hang onto us now, doesn't it? If the Union has such benefits for Scotland, you'd think that the supporters of it could come up with some specific examples of those benefits, wouldn't you? Six years on from the last indyref, and I still see nothing we get from the Union that we couldn't do for ourselves if we felt that way inclined.

I also wonder why, if the UK Government and every unionist is so sure that we don't want independence, why not just allow a referendum, to prove it?

Quote Originally Posted by Oddquine View Post
    It makes one wonder why, if Scotland has been such a drain on England's resources for the last 300 and odd years, they were so keen to capture us in the first place...and are still so keen to hang onto us now, doesn't it? If the Union has such benefits for Scotland, you'd think that the supporters of it could come up with some specific examples of those benefits, wouldn't you? Six years on from the last indyref, and I still see nothing we get from the Union that we couldn't do for ourselves if we felt that way inclined.

I also wonder why, if the UK Government and every unionist is so sure that we don't want independence, why not just allow a referendum, to prove it?
    Superbly put.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast