Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Burial less than 200 yards from houses?

Good point. The Bluebell Hill crematorium is very close to houses. I had forgotten that.

So is Falconwood.
    D'oH! My brain hurts...

Been to couple of services at the Crematorium in Inverness - last time a friend - a Humanist -who had a very good service carried out by the 'Happy Humanist' on here. Very moving. Did notice buildings quite near, Kilvean Cottage etc? But with good filtration, there's no problem these days..

John (see obviously that service has returned to Org) I know Bluebell Hill quite intimately, having been based in Chatham and going between the military bases there and the Maidstone one.. Back in the 60's there were a flurry of reports about a ghost, a girl would appear on the A229 and sometimes be picked up in a car, and would vanish when the driver looked around, some were witnessed by such as Police Officers, who are not prone to imagination.. what 'truth' in this I don't know (who does)? I KNOW this is a bit off tangent, but I started the thread, so there..
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

The ghost of Bluebell Hill is very famous. If you google it there's no end of stuff on her. Loads of sightings too.

http://www.roadghosts.com/bbhsightings.htm

Funny thing is that my wife knew her when she was alive - and the ghost's sister was in the same class at Rochester Grammar for Girls.
    D'oH! My brain hurts...

Quote Originally Posted by John Little View Post
    The ghost of Bluebell Hill is very famous. If you google it there's no end of stuff on her. Loads of sightings too.

http://www.roadghosts.com/bbhsightings.htm

Funny thing is that my wife knew her when she was alive - and the ghost's sister was in the same class at Rochester Grammar for Girls.
    Creepy John - wot's your angle on it?

I'm not going to scoff at it. There are things we simply do not understand.

Anyway I must not question too much- my next book will be a half dozen of ghosts!
    D'oH! My brain hurts...

Goodness, what a small world, I lived in Chatham from 1991 - 2000. I had even heard about the ghost, especially if I was going over Bluebell Hill to Maidstone, people would joke about being careful, I thought that was all it was, but it was common knowledge in Chatham.

My transit between Chatham and Maidstone was way back in 1966, (blinking heck; 49 years ago?!) and the 'Bluebell Hill ghost' was common knowledge then

"The film is based on the true story of a bride-to-be killed following a crash on the A229 in November 1965 on the eve of her wedding day."

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/maidstone/news/ghost-story-7879/

It was Judith my wife knew.
    D'oH! My brain hurts...

That's just terribly sad and an awful waste of life. I would love to see the film though.

Goodness Gracious. A potentially interesting thread not yet attacked by somebody sneering/complaining or otherwise bitching and moaning. It won't last.

Quote Originally Posted by wavy davy View Post
    Goodness Gracious. A potentially interesting thread not yet attacked by somebody sneering/complaining or otherwise bitching and moaning. It won't last.
    You're right there, I am amazed, it was started in good faith, in that I had no idea what the point/substance of the Survey question was, and not one real Orger - who hasn't asked to be deleted - said one sneering, complaining, bitching or moaning word.
    WHAT'S GOING ON!

Sneer.
    Bitch.
    Moan.
    Complain.

There - fixed it for ya!
    D'oH! My brain hurts...

Just out of interest I read this on the BBC Website in regards to burials in Greece, what these poor people go through is unimaginable. Let's hope we, in this country (UK) are never put through this due to planning consent being disallowed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34920068

Quote Originally Posted by cptdodger View Post
    Just out of interest I read this on the BBC Website in regards to burials in Greece, what these poor people go through is unimaginable. Let's hope we, in this country (UK) are never put through this due to planning consent being disallowed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34920068
    This country has crematoria.

Maybe so, but this country's population is increasing rapidly. If councils are not allowed to build more crematoriums or create new cemeteries because of a case of "not in my back yard" then you will start to see problems. As it is, in England, certainly where I lived it used to be a number of weeks before a funeral could take place because they are so busy. Certainly and hopefully that would not happen here as it does in Greece and Hong Kong, but lack of facilities leads to its own problems.

Way back in 1971/72 used to stay in Desentis, Switzerland (Kayaking mostly) and became good friends with a family who ran a bakery there. They mentioned their family had lived in the village for generations and one day they showed me where their great-granddad was; in a ossuary his bones stacked up in a room.. Turns out that because the ground is so hard in Switzerland, they leave the bodies in the ground for about 25 years, then clear out the grave- the headstone is given to family, bones (if any) into the ossuary and the grave is then re-used! (Although it is permissible to pay extra to extend the period of time)

I've often wondered what the facts were, and found this:

http://www.dicconbewes.com/2011/10/3...ss-cemeteries/

Is there anything to stop you doing your own burial? back garden perhaps? I heard a programme on the radio once about a lady who collected her mother's body from the morgue and popped her on the floor in her motor home then took her around England visiting her old friends so that they could pay their respects and so that she could visit places she used to love. I can't remember what happened after the visits but I wondered where you could bury a body legally.

A Sky burial would do me just fine on top of Morven or Bein Ratha. Then I can give back to the Earth Goddess from whom I've taken so much.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

They can do what they like with my remains when I'm dead, so long as they leave them alone when I'm still walking about.

Quote Originally Posted by squidge View Post
    Is there anything to stop you doing your own burial? back garden perhaps? I heard a programme on the radio once about a lady who collected her mother's body from the morgue and popped her on the floor in her motor home then took her around England visiting her old friends so that they could pay their respects and so that she could visit places she used to love. I can't remember what happened after the visits but I wondered where you could bury a body legally.
    In fact, provided you own the land, it is easier to bury a relative in your garden than to extend your garage or undertake any other building work. You don't even need planning permission to dig a grave, although erecting a gravestone might stir the interest of the local council.

The Environment Agency says that no laws prevent people being buried in their own garden, but an authorisation form must be filled in, since decomposing corpses can pose a health risk to the living.
    A garden grave must be situated more than 10 metres from standing water, at least 50 metres away from a drinking water source, and be deep enough to dissuade foxes from digging up the dearly departed.
    It's also necessary to record the whereabouts of the grave and include this in the deeds of the property.

So there you are...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast