Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Burial less than 200 yards from houses?

Default Burial less than 200 yards from houses?

Just been doing an on-line survey and one of the questions was:
    "The Scottish Government is introducing a new law governing cremation and burial. The new law might remove the requirement that a crematorium must be constructed over 200 yards from any dwelling house. Do you think that the new law should, or should not, keep the minimum distance requirement?"

I did NOT know that, blinking heck that would not be nice..
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

They're dead.

They make very quiet, peaceful neighbours with no need for ASBOs.

Vampires and zombies don't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by PantsMAN View Post
    They're dead.

They make very quiet, peaceful neighbours with no need for ASBOs.

Vampires and zombies don't exist.
    Yea, but it's difficult to get dust off sheets drying on the line

Lived very near a few cemeteries and the folk there are the best neighbours I have had in all my moves - absolutely fantastic, no noisy parties, no nosey neighbours or visitors, everything peace and quiet, no objections or complaints if I had a few friends over for a party or the visitors were noisy as they left the house.

I certainly have no qualms with living near a cemetery.

200 yards is a fair bit away in cities - are they going to move the cemeteries or move the houses around?

Although under the heading of 'cremation and burial' this seems to only affect crematoriums - there is no mention of graveyards.

I do wonder why this has become an issue - I assume somebody somewhere wants to build one within the current limit.

Although I don't fancy living so close to a crematorium as to be able to smell 'the product', I don't see why an individual law is required and why such considerations cannot be part of the normal planning process, Environmental Impact Assessment etc.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

There is a big underground scene there.

Quote Originally Posted by theone View Post
    Although under the heading of 'cremation and burial' this seems to only affect crematoriums - there is no mention of graveyards.

I do wonder why this has become an issue - I assume somebody somewhere wants to build one within the current limit.

Although I don't fancy living so close to a crematorium as to be able to smell 'the product', I don't see why an individual law is required and why such considerations cannot be part of the normal planning process, Environmental Impact Assessment etc.
    Not actually found where the question I got on the Survey (Populous) came from, but they asked if I minded.. As an ex-Fire Office used to do IID's inspection of premises, and a couple Crems came under our jurisdiction, interesting looking at the ovens and the big 'cannon balls' they use in a kind of tumble dryer to power the bones - found out that the gold (rings/teeth) which remained was sold into council coffers, that pace-makers were taken out before they cremated as they could explode and damage the ovens?
    It was twenty minutes after being handed a human dust 'ball' to feel weight we were back to the station for my sandwiches; crispy bacon..

Quote Originally Posted by bekisman View Post
    Not actually found where the question I got on the Survey (Populous) came from, but they asked if I minded.. As an ex-Fire Office used to do IID's inspection of premises, and a couple Crems came under our jurisdiction, interesting looking at the ovens and the big 'cannon balls' they use in a kind of tumble dryer to power the bones - found out that the gold (rings/teeth) which remained was sold into council coffers, that pace-makers were taken out before they cremated as they could explode and damage the ovens?
    It was twenty minutes after being handed a human dust 'ball' to feel weight we were back to the station for my sandwiches; crispy bacon..
    We all can understand 'gallows humor', but perhaps it should be left amongst the Emergency Services. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by The Horseman View Post
    We all can understand 'gallows humor', but perhaps it should be left amongst the Emergency Services. Thank you.

Oh dear I really am sorry The Horseman (new Member who's not yet on the member list) PantsMan, Pat and others above seemed not to be upset, don't think they are 'Emergency Services'? Presumably by your rather brash and affronted entrance to the Org, I would gauge you've been on here before? "We" who are the 'we' that understand 'gallows humor(sic)? not one of our USA members are you? Relax and settle down. I'm sorry you have taken umbrage, better advise you not to read em then..

Ok, where is the nearest crematorium?

Is within 200 yards of anywhere in Caithness?

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    Ok, where is the nearest crematorium?

Is within 200 yards of anywhere in Caithness?

As I mentioned it was a question posed by Populous in an on-line survey "Just been doing an on-line survey and one of the questions was:
    "The Scottish Government is introducing a new law governing cremation and burial. The new law might remove the requirement that a crematorium must be constructed over 200 yards from any dwelling house. Do you think that the new law should, or should not, keep the minimum distance requirement?" I've no idea why this should be asked, No idea how close they are to houses at all.. I got £2 for the whole survey anyway..

wouldn't be afraid of the dead dude. Be weary of the living

Quote Originally Posted by bekisman View Post
    Oh dear I really am sorry The Horseman (new Member who's not yet on the member list) PantsMan, Pat and others above seemed not to be upset, don't think they are 'Emergency Services'? Presumably by your rather brash and affronted entrance to the Org, I would gauge you've been on here before? "We" who are the 'we' that understand 'gallows humor(sic)? not one of our USA members are you? Relax and settle down. I'm sorry you have taken umbrage, better advise you not to read em then..
    Sarcasm defined.... Lowest form of wit.
    Just a thought......my brash and affronted entrance.....perhaps better defined as Respect for the Dead. USA members? Really.......
    No reply required. Thank you.
    Last edited by The Horseman; 01-Dec-15 at 21:50.

Sarcasm defined.... Lowest form of wit.
    Just a thought......my brash and affronted entrance.....perhaps better defined as Respect for the Dead. USA members? Really.......
    No reply required. Thank you.

Grannymoose, whoops there's another one with 'no respect for the dead'! you left out a bit from your quote old boy (?) highest form of intelligence. My alluding to USA was merely your spelling of 'Humour' we do have USA people on here; 'old Marine', who I think has passed on (anyone?), a great poster who I respected, and my respect has not dimmed although he may no longer be with us. I'm sure at time progresses you'll come across postings much stronger than mine, take this as a gentle introduction to THE ORG!

If they have a high stack, the smell may be worse a mile away than it it is close up.

Says who?

Been searching the web, found this: http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/S4...0PMS042015.pdf Para 115.
    SO SEPA reckons that nowadays Crematoriums don't need to be 200 yards away (Wish Populous Surveys had stated why they asked this question, but I was intrigued!)

I quite like the smell of a barbeque

Oh well now found the legislation #17 that survey poll was referring to, supposed this Thread is now finished

Just out of interest where is the nearest Crematorium to Caithness located ? I would imagine if it is Inverness, that would just add greatly to the cost of the Funeral. I might be wrong but generally speaking in a City, take Dundee for instance as that's where I am from a vast percentage of the population choose cremation over burial, as to why, I have no idea, maybe cost is a factor, but the last burial I was at was in 1987, I have (unfortunately) attended a lot of funerals since then which have all been held in Crematoriums.

Thinking about it I have only been to two Crematoriums the one in Dundee and Medway Crematorium (halfway between Chatham and Maidstone) in Kent, but they are both set in beautifully kept grounds, considering what they are, they are beautiful places. I have never measured it but the one in Dundee is surrounded by houses, how close I don't know, but it's not like you have a row of houses with a crematorim the next building along as such. The houses are next to the land where the crematorium is situated, not the actual building, in fact unless you knew where the crematorium was, you probably would not realise what it was.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast