Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Aberfeldy and Sandy Wright

Default Aberfeldy and Sandy Wright

Folk/rock group Aberfeldy, a highly regarded five piece band who are getting a lot of radio plays are appearing at the Lighthouse on Wednesday the 2nd of May. Support act is singer/songwriter Sandy Wright from Edinburgh. Any of my friends who would like to attend this live recording please PM or telephone me.
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

in a house wi lights, but it is a light house

www.myspace.com/aberfeldy

check em oot lek....

Pretty much booked up. A few seats left if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Gleber2 View Post
    Pretty much booked up. A few seats left if you're interested.
    Is this legal???????
    As a full paid up member of the PRS, I hope you have yourself covered????
    Asinus asinum fricat

Quote Originally Posted by DOC ROCK View Post
    Is this legal???????
    As a full paid up member of the PRS, I hope you have yourself covered????
    How boring. Someone trying to wee-wee in someone else's chips. The fact that a band like Aberfeldy are playing in the Far North should be met with open arms, not some petty snipe.

Hear, hear,
    The personal fueds are best fought in PM land, not in public.

Many's a good or relevant thread has been killed in this way.
    All the world's a stage and we are merely players . . . . .
    For more visit: http://www.studiograff-photo.co.uk

Keep it up Gleber2.

Why on earth wouldn't it be legal? A band playing their own material and not even for money.

I thought PRS was for shops playing music to customers and the like. Is it?

Quote Originally Posted by ~~Tides~~ View Post
    Why on earth wouldn't it be legal? A band playing their own material and not even for money.

I thought PRS was for shops playing music to customers and the like. Is it?
    To advertise openly and publicly and to open to the general public for a set door charge would not , strictly speaking, be legal. However, it is an ever growing thing in the UK and USA to bypass pubs and clubs and hold house parties with invited guests who contribute to the cost of the musicians. This is no different from having a party in your own house with as many people as you want to squeeze in and having a kitty for booze.
    I have already had the PRS on the phone and it would appear that, as I operate in my own home, I do not require a licence as everything that is played here is original and in private.
    Aberfeldy is on a sponsered(lottery) tour and are playing for a greatly reduced fee which has made it possible to have a band of their stature playing here.
    I post here to make my friends aware that the event is happening. There is no other advertising as most of the people who come have been here for most of the concerts I have held and everyone who comes has been invited by telephone or my Orger friends who PM me.
    Last edited by Gleber2; 30-Apr-07 at 15:13.

Have a good one.
    Asinus asinum fricat

wel said gleber
    "you know and i know that we talk in circles most times"

Default Aberfeldy Tour Press Release

Have Talent – Will Travel

Aberfeldy will be stunning audiences in some of Scotland’s most remote and unusual venues when they tour the nation this Spring. Their new tour, funded as part of the Scottish Arts Council’s Tune Up program, will visit established concert halls before the tour bus veers off the beaten track and into unmarked territory.

The Tune Up program, initiated in 2003, is designed to promote a broad range of live music across the length and breadth of Scotland. Tune Up has recently allowed world music icon Omar Sosa to tour Scotland, and with its commitment to performances in remote areas has brought well-established artists such as The Bees to the Far North.

Aberfeldy, revolving around singer / songwriter Riley Briggs, are based in Edinburgh but are no stranger to wider audiences having extensively toured Scotland, playing festivals such as Belladrum, Inverness. However, Aberfeldy have never had to contend with such disparate locations as a renovated pavilion in Strathpeffer, and even a former lighthouse in Caithness. The tour will stretch from the environs of rural Aberdeenshire to Hoy, a remote Orkney Island, taking in some of the world’s most dramatic scenery along the way.

A Highland influence runs deep in the band with most coming of age on the folk music circuit. Jim Sutherland, the peculiar producer of their first album “Young Forever”, was born and brought up in Thurso, Caithness with the tour allowing the group to visit some of his old haunts before playing nearby Dunnet Head Lighthouse (2nd May 2007) – Britain’s most northerly mainland music venue.

After changing drummers the band recently recorded a second album – “Do Whatever Turns You On” – before supporting, amongst others, James Blunt and The Beautiful South. A stage routine honed before thousands in some of Britain’s largest venues will now be put to the test in front of crowds that could well be measured in the dozens. When the band plays the Invershin Hotel (1st May 2007) in a remote part of Sutherland they will find a venue more used to weddings and wakes than hosting a chart bound act. However, Aberfeldy can no doubt make themselves at home in one of the most picturesque parts of Scotland.

Aberfeldy’s Orkney dates see them play a nightclub, Kirkwall’s Fusion (4th May 2007), and an arts centre on the island of Hoy (5th May 2007). Should they prove popular, Fusion is capable of hosting the entire population of Hoy with an orderly queue at the bar. The tour is not confined to remote areas, visiting venues further south that are frequently overlooked. The Eastwood Park theatre in Barrhead (12th May 2007), for example, despite doing sterling work for the East Renfrewshire community is not known as a concert venue, whilst the Woodend Barn Arts Centre (11th May 2007) in Aberdeenshire rarely hosts bands of this stature.

The combination of such an unusual choice of venues, combined with a band rediscovering their roots makes for one of the most striking tours in Scotland this year.

Tickets for the Tune Up tour go on sale from 20th October 2006.

Class band!

How'd it go, then? My favourite song of theirs is Whatever Turns You On. Did they play it? And did Riley turn up in his 70s, John Travolta suit?

Aye they played it. its a belter but i love 'summers gone'...the one off the diet coke advert!

Na, no suit! Quite disappointing!

Do u know them?

I ken Riley, and his brother (the drummer) - he used to play in my pal's band, punk legends Oi Polloi.

I remember my band were recording in Edinburgh's Kinky Studio (Jim Sutherland's place) around the time Aberfeldy were recording their debut album there. Jim went round the room until he found the 'sweet spot' before proceeding to park a huge microphone down on the floor. The album was recorded in mono and it sounded fantastic in there. Anyway, as the story goes, I was setting up one of Jim's Selmer amps and needed something to prop it up with. Jim said to go into the sound room and perch whatever I could find under the amp. I returned to the control room holding some very, very dusty Gold and Platinum discs he received for his playing on the Page & Plant album, No Quarter. Are you serious, I said, pointing to the discs. I dinnae really care aboot that sorty thing, he replied, nonchalantly. To call the guy modest would be an understatment. He did a great job on producing the Aberfeldy sound, in my opinion.

Cool story! I take it curiosity made you take these disc's thru to Jim, rather than intending to use them as the amp prop up?

Im a big fan of Belle and Sebastian and there are a few similarities there,so u can imagine how i'd love there sound, especially live tho! The range of instruments, the variety in style and without a doubt most importantly, the singing!

I wish now i'd bought a CD at the gig and had a chat with them but due to shyness and utter lack of funds, it never happened!!! Hopefully see them again tho!