Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anti-English?

Quote Originally Posted by davth View Post
    A lot of things are the norm or acceptable in the military.
    Meanwhile in real life they are not the norm or acceptable.

Wot! you don't call the Fire Service norm or acceptable.. out of interest just watched Guy Martin 'the last flight of the Vulcan' and the Chief Engineer (civie) was called 'Taff' (Stone) - come on davth, relax and chill. You admit: "I have heard plenty folk being called jock" so tell me were they upset, disgusted, told the speaker to 'go away etc'. Now THAT is the crux of this discussion. i.e. were those people who were spoken to and called 'Jock' apoplectic ?
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

Quote Originally Posted by cptdodger View Post
    When I worked in England in the early 90's I was nicknamed "Haggis" we all had nicknames for each other, no harm meant, in fact, my best friend from those days still calls me that! The only thing I object to being referred to is "scotch" I am not a drink !!
    My nicknames have ranged from 'big pete', 'sausage' and 'Jack' (Jack was from the custom of calling Cornish folk 'Cousin Jack', I was fuming about that one - nah, it was fine)

Quote Originally Posted by bekisman View Post
    My nicknames have ranged from 'big pete', 'sausage' and 'Jack' (Jack was from the custom of calling Cornish folk 'Cousin Jack', I was fuming about that one - nah, it was fine)
    Could be worse, we could be norwegains or "noggies" as is the term used to call them in certain sectors : "N*ggie is considered a mildly derogatory word for a Norwegian, but is not overly offensive. Best to use with caution". Same can be applied to the word J*ck, ie J*ck is considered a mildly derogatory word for a Scot, but is not overly offensive. Best to use with caution, so if someone uses the term J*ck people reply / respond according to their interpretation and context of the word used, but it is not overly offensive going by the norwegain n*ggie word / term explanation. Is that putting this one to bed ?

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    Could be worse, we could be norwegains or "noggies" as is the term used to call them in certain sectors : "N*ggie is considered a mildly derogatory word for a Norwegian, but is not overly offensive. Best to use with caution". Same can be applied to the word J*ck, ie J*ck is considered a mildly derogatory word for a Scot, but is not overly offensive. Best to use with caution, so if someone uses the term J*ck people reply / respond according to their interpretation and context of the word used, but it is not overly offensive going by the norwegain n*ggie word / term explanation. Is that putting this one to bed ?

Of course never call anyone 'Jock' unless I knew them in a friendly way.. but yes this tread has been beaten to death, enough said.. (but I don't think 'someone' will agree)
    Last edited by bekisman; 30-Nov-15 at 19:09. Reason: speeling

Yup, I would agree with it being a derogatory term.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123