Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anti-English?

Default Anti-English?

Well, well well.. ain't that just nasty..

Racism in Scotland is now almost as likely to be directed against white people as any other group, new figures show

http://www.scotsman.com/news/anti-en...cism-1-2685148
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

I have lived in Scotland for 29 of my 65 years life and it has always been like that, anti English, but mostly it is semi disguised as so called banter. I realised long ago to live with it or ignore it, the old sticks and stones worked well with my philosophy. In defense of the minority though, not all were like that and I had some good pals in Scotland once they knew me.
    Last edited by tonkatojo; 27-Nov-15 at 17:19. Reason: spelling
    Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong.
    Muhammad Ali

Quote Originally Posted by tonkatojo View Post
    I have lived in Scotland for 29 of my 65 years life and it has always been like that, anti English, but mostly it is semi disguised as so called banter. I realised long ago to live with it or ignore it, the old sticks and stones worked well with my philosophy. In defense of the minority though, not all were like that and I had some good pals in Scotland once they new me.
    There has always been an under current of "despise / contempt" from some ignoramases towards what some call white settlers in Scotland, the SNP's grieveance politics where Westminster and by definition ENgland is played constantly as the bad boy has now made this part of the dominant political narrative giving further fuel to the situation. Now its funny how my son living and working in London has never ever been subjected to even what I would call "banter" on his obvious Scottishness, of course London is an international metropolis and not a myopic "village". Again the film "Braveheart" certainly fuelled the thickos who define their Scottishness through a hatred of England. No widen that, anyone daring to critiise the SNP is seen by harded "yessers" as lying traitors so the posion extends to anti SNP scots as well, Ive been told on this site, if I didnt like it ( SNP stuff ) f off south despite as Ive repeated on here time and time again Ive got a direct blood lineage in Caithness which goes back to the 16th century....this is my country and Caithness will always be my county, and Wick my birth place is my town ???? Anti anyone is not on we ae all Jock Tamsons bairns

BetterTogether is offline Banned (Sock Puppet of previously banned user)

It's quite possible to be anti Scottish even though born and bred here and having lineage going back centuries if you don't buy into one relatively newly formed political parties somewhat myopic view. So at the moment according to some over 50% of Scotland is either not Scottish or not Scottish enough. I fail to see how throwing about such accusations would help a political party gain more voters.

Of the 2 terms, Id say "not scottish enough" is the more accurate if applied to Scots born people, thats what the SNP called Alex Bell mind when he leaked the discord behind the fiscal fantasy figures in the indy 1 campaign,...not one of us ( Scottish / SNP )....who are us anyway.......whats Scottish enough, do you have to be in the SNP to be Scottish ???? How do you be Scottish or rather who decides that your scottish and on what terms.....very, very dangerous territory.

Does that mean if you've only started voting SNP in the last few years you'd of been sort of Scottish but now you've got a blue badge and possibly wee blue book you're totally Scottish.

So what does that mean William Wallace was or Robert the Bruce not really Scottish as they weren't members and didnt have either a book or a badge.

That could throw open a whole can of worms born in Caithness and Sutherland more Norse than Scottish or west coast more Irish than Scottish or down to the borders ooh eerrr possibly English hybrids.

We can trawl through history to see if any of Scotland's most famous people displayed either badge/book or voted SNP to dictate their worth as genuine Scottish.

Maybe we could do a quick lineage check just to make sure there's no English in family lines or nobody took the wrong side during infamous periods of Scottish History.

It all starts to get a bit absurd when you apply even a modicum of logical thinking to how far you want to take the how Scottish are you theme.

Quote Originally Posted by BetterTogether View Post
    Does that mean if you've only started voting SNP in the last few years you'd of been sort of Scottish but now you've got a blue badge and possibly wee blue book you're totally Scottish.

So what does that mean William Wallace was or Robert the Bruce not really Scottish as they weren't members and didnt have either a book or a badge.

That could throw open a whole can of worms born in Caithness and Sutherland more Norse than Scottish or west coast more Irish than Scottish or down to the borders ooh eerrr possibly English hybrids.

We can trawl through history to see if any of Scotland's most famous people displayed either badge/book or voted SNP to dictate their worth as genuine Scottish.

Maybe we could do a quick lineage check just to make sure there's no English in family lines or nobody took the wrong side during infamous periods of Scottish History.

It all starts to get a bit absurd when you apply even a modicum of logical thinking to how far you want to take the how Scottish are you theme.
    But I read The Broons and Oor Wullie ?????

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    But I read The Broons and Oor Wullie ?????
    Was you wearing a kilt drinking Irn Bru, eating a tunnocks while wrapped in a saltire if not sadly not enough.

Well my own experience (being a Cornishman) was that for 21 years ran a guesthouse up here, had an official sign at end of road, alongside with two others, advertising accommodation.. get a call from a friend (Scottish) to say sign has been sprayed.. went to look and across all three signs were paint sprayed the words "WHITE SETTLERS".. it showed the person who did it was a hillbilly and pretty thick as the other two were born and bred Scots, it was soon sorted, by a) using paint remover, and b) my putting a notice in JOG journal and Northern Times offering a £100 reward to information - let it be said that the information I desired was forthcoming within two days of ad appearing, and was thus 'sorted', let it be said it never re-occurred!

In the Forces and Fire Service I worked in great harmony with Jocks - we were a team, and the anti-English sentiment is looked upon with embarrassment by those worldly-wise friends about the parochial activities of numpties who have never been south of Inverness just 'sad gits' in their opinions.

I must concur with your opinion I've worked with many Scots down in England can't say I've ever seen them receive the same shall we call it Bias as to which part of the U.K. they where born in. Maybe it's why so many of them move south to get away from such narrow minded parochial views and into a broader more multi cultural society that's learnt to embrace so much and move beyond petty grievances.

During my time in the forces I had the fortune to work with the Black Watch, Royal Scots not once did I encounter a single anti English comment just good humour maybe that's how real men deal with it good humour and a few drinks rather than hiding behind keyboards and throwing around insults.
    Last edited by BetterTogether; 28-Nov-15 at 00:12.

I lived and worked in England for a number of years, and never, ever came across or indeed was subjected to any anti Scottish sentiment. Since moving here I have been called all sorts of things, like bekisman said, a white settler which really is a joke, and clearly the person that called me that has no understanding of what that term actually means.

Being Scottish, I am mortified by the level of abuse that is aimed at the English which always seems to get worse around sporting events, but is bad enough in general. People will excuse it by saying "it's only banter" try it with any other section of the community and it would be deemed as racist. I found when I lived in Dundee certainly, this attitude was more common with people who had never been further south than Edinburgh. To me, they are just an embarrassment. Given the choice, I would rather live in England where the "locals" are a lot more accepting of people regardless where they are from.

You are Scottish if you put Scotland's interests first, where you were born is irrelivent. A lot of "white settlers" are SNP supporters, and the SNP obviously put Scotland first.

I put Scotland first by voting no so I must be scottish

Quote Originally Posted by piratelassie View Post
    and the SNP obviously put Scotland first.
    They put themselves first and anti-English madness is their stock in trade.

You are Scottish if you put Scotland's interests first, where you were born is irrelivent. A lot of "white settlers" are SNP supporters, and the SNP obviously put Scotland first.
    what on earth does that mean!?

Quote Originally Posted by dc1 View Post
    I put Scotland first by voting no so I must be scottish
    I totally agree I did likewise
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

No voters get off your knees.

what on earth does that mean!?

We did, we walked into polling stations and voted NO. At eight minutes past six in the morning of the 19th of September 2014, we saved your precious Country from an absoulute nightmare. It is you that should be on your knees thanking US.

Quote Originally Posted by cptdodger View Post
    We did, we walked into polling stations and voted NO. At eight minutes past six in the morning of the 19th of September 2014, we saved your precious Country from an absoulute nightmare. It is you that should be on your knees thanking US.

Well put Sir!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast