Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: filibustering or how the tories win at politics

Default filibustering or how the tories win at politics

another bill talked out by the tories. are they not brave enough to just vote against the things they dont agree with??? http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tory-mps-block-bill-to-give-first-aid-training-to-children-by-talking-until-time-runs-out-a6742251.html
    AAR

If you've ever sat on a committee, every so often someone comes up with an idea which is impractical (and sometimes dangerous) but which sounds so worthy no one dare speak against it. This was one of those Bills, and I glad it was talked out. It was not a party matter so blaming "the Tories" is daft as plenty of Tories supported it. It was a bill to force schools to teach first aid. There is nothing wrong with it - I learnt first aid in school, but from a proper, qualified first-aid expert who happened to be on the staff. What else though can schools be forced to teach? Anything could be deemed worthy and forced upon schools ill-equipped to provide them. As to first aid, badly taught first aid is worse than no knowledge of it. It was a worthy but ultimately silly bill and best dumped in this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoggie View Post
    If you've ever sat on a committee, every so often someone comes up with an idea which is impractical (and sometimes dangerous) but which sounds so worthy no one dare speak against it. This was one of those Bills, and I glad it was talked out. It was not a party matter so blaming "the Tories" is daft as plenty of Tories supported it. It was a bill to force schools to teach first aid. There is nothing wrong with it - I learnt first aid in school, but from a proper, qualified first-aid expert who happened to be on the staff. What else though can schools be forced to teach? Anything could be deemed worthy and forced upon schools ill-equipped to provide them. As to first aid, badly taught first aid is worse than no knowledge of it. It was a worthy but ultimately silly bill and best dumped in this way.
    Quite agree Hoogie, as a First Aid Instructor myself, it must be taught by those of us who actually know what they are talking about!
    "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped."

Quote Originally Posted by Hoggie View Post
    Anything could be deemed worthy and forced upon schools ill-equipped to provide them.......a very frightening scenario, why oh why is education a political football !!!!

BetterTogether is offline Banned (Sock Puppet of previously banned user)

Maybe it would be better to ensure kids are taught decent levels of main education like arithmetic and basic English, sciences, languages and those who aren't inclined that way woodwork and metalwork or basic engineering rather than alol these ancillary projects which sound very nice but mean our children are falling behind on the key subjects.

If you don't like it then sign the petition...

http://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/111441
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."