Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Achow, Swiney, Caithness

Default Achow, Swiney, Caithness

I have discovered that a large number of my ancestors lived in Achow, Swiney, Caithness at a place called Rhainrevach, during the late 1800's and early 1900's. I have not been able to find any information about Rhainrevach. Is anyone familiar with Rhainrevach? Was this a village, a farm or estate? Any information someone can provide will be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you,
    L. Sutherland

Hi - check out this map here
    http://www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/re...xxxiii/os6inch
    If you zoom in by the Swiney area there is a house called Rhianrevach (just north-west of Swiney) - could that be the place you are looking for?

Yes, this must be their home. Thank you so much for the information. Do you have any idea what Rhianrevach means?
    Take care

No idea what Rhianrevach means but I've googled a bit for you - that's how I found the map - googled Lybster old map!.
    Ach can mean field in Gaelic, Revach could be from the Gaelic Reidh which means a plain or slope. If you break down Rhianrevach it can have various meanings. Maybe a sloping field that belonged to Rhian/Rhain (an old Celtic name meaning lance implying brave warrior)? So basically, no idea!
    It's amazing what you can find when you google! If you have google earth you can see the buildings that were there in 2004.
    Cheers!

Maybe:
    Rhian = Burn
    Revach (anglicised Riabhach) = Brindled or Brown

Thank you for my Gaelic lesson I do use Google but you are much better at it than I am. I have not used google earth before, this is a whole new adventure. I have also found a old map for the Sibster area where the rest of my family had farms. Thank you for all of your information.
    Tale care!

You're welcome - nice to be of some help

NLS has fabulous maps free to view here.

http://maps.nls.uk/additions.html