I have been researching my family tree for a good few years now, and just when I thought it was coming to a conclusion I have discovered a whole new group of people I was unaware of. I was hoping that maybe there are some others out there looking into the same family.

My Great Grandmother, Catherine Bremner, was born on 13 September 1874 at the Royal Maternity Hospital, Edinburgh. She was the daughter of Donald Bremner and Ann Miller, both originally from Wick, although Donald has been recorded in census records as having been born in either the parish of Wick, or the parish of Thurso, some time around 1853. At the time of her birth, Catherine's parents were unmarried, but Donald and Ann married six years later on 22 October 1880 at Marchhall Crescent, Newington, Edinburgh.

I had always concentrated my efforts on the easier lines of research, having assumed that Bremner would be a very difficult surname to research in Edinburgh. However, in the last few days I decided to try and locate census records for Donald Bremner to see what happened to him - his wife Ann having passed away on 22 August 1887 at Rose Street, Edinburgh. As Ann had died at a young age I hadn't expected any major revelations, but having looked into things I have now discovered that Catherine had four siblings that I never knew anything about. The details I have uncovered to this point are...

Donald Bremner, born circa 1853 in the parish of Wick or Thurso, was the son of Donald Bremner and Jean MacKay
Ann Miller, born 17 November 1847 in Castletown, was the daughter of William Miller and Catherine Ross

I now know they had five children...

Catherine Miller (born Miller, but later modified to Bremner in the RCE)
Ann Bremner, born 1 July 1878 at 125 Rose Street, Edinburgh
Alexander Bremner, born 1 July 1881 at 148 Rose Street, Edinburgh
Jane Bremner, born 18 June 1883 at 148 Rose Street, Edinburgh
William Bremner, born 21 June 1885 at 148 Rose Street, Edinburgh

Catherine moved back to Wick to be raised by her Grandparents, William Miller and Catherine Ross. Catherine's entry in the RCE recorded her mother, Ann, as living at Sibster, Wick, while her father, Donald, was recorded as living at Drumdry, Wick. Shortly after, it appears that Catherine's mother and father returned to Edinburgh where they went on to have four other children - another one being born before they were married in 1880.

I would welcome hearing from anyone researching the same family.

Regards,
Steven