Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Wick Street Names

Quote Originally Posted by trinkie View Post
    Thank you for that Mosser. I've looked at the death certificate again and it does say Farquhars Close, but that could have been a mistake on the part of the Registrar. There was no number by the way.
    I agree with Golach regarding the names, when I lived in Edinburgh I noticed folk saying 'up oor close' etc. even if they lived in a tenament they seemed to refer to the Hallway as the Close. I must say I dont remember this in Wick in my day - but who knows !

I've gone through my file for that family and didn't come across anyone else with that address. I'll keep searching.

Many thanks for your help.
    Trinkie
    I have just come across writing from pre WW1 and the writer talks about Farquhars Close as being between Betsy Mowat's pie shop and Billy Sinclairs cycle shop, this is the exact location which today is between Hugo Ross' tackle shop and Boots Chemist, you can still see where the lane was. perhaps the Registrar knew it by that name?

Mosser

Default Wick Street names

Well, well... so it was there all the time.
    Many thanks for spotting that Mosser.
    Is that a very narrow lane opposite Cabrelli's? There was once a Cobbler there ?
    Would the hoosies have been 'high rise?' sort of tenament, and very dark if I've got the right place.

Many thanks
    Trinkie

Quote Originally Posted by trinkie View Post
    Well, well... so it was there all the time.
    Many thanks for spotting that Mosser.
    Is that a very narrow lane opposite Cabrelli's? There was once a Cobbler there ?
    Would the hoosies have been 'high rise?' sort of tenament, and very dark if I've got the right place.

Many thanks
    Trinkie
    when you worked in the insurance office it was directly across the road between Charlie Begg's and Bowle's bakery, maybe about 100 years ago!! just feels like that! the entry you were thinking about was Alexandra Court between Nicolsons and Dan Dunnett's.

Mosser

Default Wick street names

Thank you Mosser , I think I know where you are now - and Thank you for reminding me about the old Insurance Office - now that would make a good Thread....
    The shops that you mentioned prompted me to look up the old Shops Thread, and I have resurrected it for further reading !!
    I think William Lyall wrote a poem about the old shoppies.

Trinkie

Default Streets

Where does Moray Street come from?

Lived in Owen Place for years and it was named after a doctor called Owen Owen yes he was so good they named him twice
    J Leith

I'm claiming Leith Walk
    I INTEND TO LIVE FOREVER, SO FAR SO GOOD

dont really know about any off the names i was brought up in murchison st and i now live in upper dunbar st i seem to remember some one calld sir george dunbar and thats why the street was named after him he was on the council but im not dead sure

hi just checked my title deeds and its named after a duff dunbar

Quote Originally Posted by Chligh View Post
    Where does Moray Street come from?
    Chilgh
    The Right Honourable the Earl of Moray, BFS shareholder like almost all of the names in Pulteneytown

Quote Originally Posted by wicker8 View Post
    dont really know about any off the names i was brought up in murchison st and i now live in upper dunbar st i seem to remember some one calld sir george dunbar and thats why the street was named after him he was on the council but im not dead sure
    wicker8

LOWER / UPPER DUNBAR STREET Sir Benjamin Dunbar of Hempriggs

MURCHISON STREET Kenneth Murchison. BPS Shareholder.

and someone mentioned Nicolson St and for a change this was not named after a BFS sharerholder but Provost William Nicolson elected a Baillie in 1894; became Provost in 1896 until the amalgamation of Wick and Pulteneytown in 1902 Elected Dean of Guild until 1907

Think this website has been mentioned before but this link allows you to overlay todays map or satellite pic onto the 1872 map of Wick....

http://geo.nls.uk/maps/towns/wick/openlayers.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mosser View Post
    wicker8

LOWER / UPPER DUNBAR STREET Sir Benjamin Dunbar of Hempriggs

MURCHISON STREET Kenneth Murchison. BPS Shareholder.

and someone mentioned Nicolson St and for a change this was not named after a BFS sharerholder but Provost William Nicolson elected a Baillie in 1894; became Provost in 1896 until the amalgamation of Wick and Pulteneytown in 1902 Elected Dean of Guild until 1907

hi mosser yes your right thanks for that

Does anyone know where 13 Francis Street was I can not find it on any maps old or new?

Quality

Default 13 Francis Street

Quote Originally Posted by quality View Post
    Does anyone know where 13 Francis Street was I can not find it on any maps old or new?

There seems to be a great deal of interest at the moment in where 13 Francis Street used to be.

I had a walk down the street today and I think the town side of the old West Church looks probable.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Quote Originally Posted by quality View Post
    There were houses in behind the row of terraced housing on the Francis St Thurso St corner, access was from Thurso Street but I'm sure that they were included in Francis St numbering.

Mosser

Quote Originally Posted by Mosser View Post
    There were houses in behind the row of terraced housing on the Francis St Thurso St corner, access was from Thurso Street but I'm sure that they were included in Francis St numbering.

Mosser
    Thanks very much.

I think I may have found where it was now the link below shows No 10 to the right and a ally to the left which may have led to Nos 11,12,13.although I can not find anything late 1800s street map.

View Larger Map">
    View Larger Map

Quality

Found it at last.

Its shown on the 1965 map as No 13 its actually on Dempster street about 12foot away from No 51 which is still standing.

The entrance was from Francis Street.

Here is a link to a photo of No 13 its just above the horse and cart if you copy it and blow it up you can see the side and the rear of No 13 clearly.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...sterStWick.jpg
    Last edited by quality; 16-Nov-10 at 13:55.

Quality

Something has just occurred to me - we don't have a Quality Street in Week!!

I came accross McLeod St, not to be confused with McLeod Rd. Seems it was layed out to be a street behind Norton Place as an entry to a new street that was never built.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast