Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Wick Street Names

Default Wick street names

At the top of Huddart Street, on the hill, was the Barrogill Hall where we went to Sunday School. Great times there with Mr Sinclair Lyall trying his best to put us on the Straight and Narrow. At Christmas we had wonderful Parties and in the summer the annual bus trip...with baggies full of Jessie Clyne's delights ! happy days.
    But, down from the Barrogill Hall was the Bakers shop.... Mr Miller, Or Willdag Miller as we all fondly called him. At the weekend he made ice-cream and I remember running up on Saturday to pay for our Sunday treat - as no money was exchanged on Sunday ! On the big day we went to collect our ice-cream each one carrying a jug or dish - Bring Your Own meant 'container' at that time, so there was no problem with over packaging.
    That hill was known to all as Willdag's Hillie, and it was there we sledged as soon as it began to snow. But first we had to get our sledges ready- runners shining and Stickies made . We started off at the top near the Distillery, and ended further down. What a speed - and heaven help us if a horse and cart passed along Kinnairdie - some just sledged right through the horses legs !
    There would have been 30-40 children there all lining up ready for take off.
    When it got too full we would make our way to the Shore Road - with the harbour at the bottom, and more than once a sledger would end up in the water ! There was a knack to steering with the help of your stickie, but some of the boys got over-enthusiastic and just went for speed - Nothing changes !

Not a street but a bridge - Coghill's Bridge.

Does anyone know which Coghill this is named after ?
    There is an interesting article on caithness.org under History, the Coghills of Coghill.

Another street for our List - Norton , off the South Road.

I find there is a Sir John Usher of Norton and Wells with strong connections to Pulteneytown Library. Indeed there was a Bust of his father standing in the Hall there at one time. ( they had to move the crocodile to make room for it ! ) This article is once again on caithness.org History.

Could Sir John Usher of Norton be the man ?

Quote Originally Posted by caroline View Post
    Anyone know if there was a Francis Street in Pultneytown around 1866. Marriage certificate is very bad but certainly looks like Francis Street. Any help greatly appreciated
    The present Francis Street runs on from The Cliff and onto South Road and I reckon it would be the same back then... Did you get the info off a paper certificate or via the archives? Its just some times they can read these things better than we can. Have to go into local records soon anyway if you want me to check up on specific person/ dates, etc?
    Donald/Anne

A reminder to folk interested in Genealogy, here you will find the name of the street your ancestors lived in - and who the street was named after .

There has been a query about Davidson in Grant Street -
    Grant Street ( or Ducksie as it is fondly called by the locals ) is listed on page 3 of this thread.
    I'm sure if you want a picture of ''your street'' some kind person will be happy to oblige.

How about the street in Wick named after a Chinese welcome.........................

"HARROW" Hill.

Smile William Macleay BFS and Sir William Macleay - one and the same?????

Quote Originally Posted by trinkie View Post
    MacLEAY STREET ..... William MacLeay Agent of BFS
    Provost of Wick.
    Hi Trinkie

I would be grateful if you or any fellow orger could confirm or deny if this William Macleay of the BFS was Sir William Macleay, second son of Kenneth Macleay Esq. of Keiss Castle.

Curiously I discovered perchance only today in my genealogical cemetery meanderings a Tomb momument in Waverley Cemetery Sydney NSW Australia a Tomb in the memory of Sir William Macleay born Keiss Caithness 1820 died circa 1893. The headstone made of magnificent red granite has stood the test of time for over one hundred years on a cliff over looking the Tasman Sea and looks like it was erected only yesterday!

The inscription has the curious lettering after Sir Wiliam's name and details it reads K.B.F.L.S.

Can anyone confirm or deny if my understanding of this acronym/acrostic? could be interpreted as

'KEISS BORN FOREVER LOVED SCOTLAND"

I will take a camera on my next trip to the big smoke (Sydney) and post it somewhere for those interested to see. Sir William is buried with his wife Emmeline who was the second daughter of the Hon Edward Deas Thomson the Colonial Secretary from 1837 to ? (more research needed.. maybe suggest a google for those interested in Caithness NSW links).

I doubt whether my Keiss Caithness forbears who arrived in Sydney in 1882 would have had any contact with his illustrious former neighbour..such was and is Sydney "society" cirlcles..........

Default Streets and names

Robertson Square - Would that be after local MP of the time - think it was David Robertson, lived on South Road.

Your monument 'in the smoke' - KB - Knight of the Bath or Knight Bachelor, as he was a sir, do not know what the FLS can stand for, but someone may have an idea.

Brandy, I have done a quick google - the peerage.com
    and it came up with Henry Vansittart the first and last Baron of Bexley.... interesting.
    He was a ship's captain.
    Someone will tell us if this is the guy !
    And doe,snt Bexley terrace lead into Vansittart street.

Quote Originally Posted by pat View Post
    Robertson Square - Would that be after local MP of the time - think it was David Robertson, lived on South Road.

Your monument 'in the smoke' - KB - Knight of the Bath or Knight Bachelor, as he was a sir, do not know what the FLS can stand for, but someone may have an idea.
    Possibly this is the answer for FLS; it is very interesting society so do have a look....

http://www.linnean.org/index.php?id=147

Default Sir William John Macleay of New South Wales.

Agree with you Torvaig

FLS - Fellow of the Linnean Society

So sorry it does not mean Keiss born, forever loved Scotland.

Just found out there is also a William Sharp Macleay - check out above site, type in William Macleay, more info for you
    Last edited by pat; 17-Nov-07 at 19:32. Reason: Addition

Quote Originally Posted by pat View Post
    Agree with you Torvaig

FLS - Fellow of the Linnean Society

So sorry it does not mean Keiss born, forever loved Scotland.

Just found out there is also a William Sharp Macleay - check out above site, type in William Macleay, more info for you

Thanks Pat and Torvaig

your explanations destroy my sentimentalism and make much more sense than my romantic notions! Too much daydreaming....

William Sharp Macleay (the son of Alexander Macleay, also a Colonial Secretary of Elizabeth Bay House, Sydney) was the cousin of Sir William. The Macleay Natural History Museum at Sydney University is one of the best in the world due to the efforts of all these men.

regards

Echidna

I was always led to believe that Telford Street was named after Thomas the engineer
    Roxburgh Road was named after a surgeon who worked at the hospital in Wick

Default Names

What about the Wick side?

Default sledging

At the top of Huddart Street, on the hill, was the Barrogill Hall where we went to Sunday School. Great times there with Mr Sinclair Lyall trying his best to put us on the Straight and Narrow. At Christmas we had wonderful Parties and in the summer the annual bus trip...with baggies full of Jessie Clyne's delights ! happy days.
    But, down from the Barrogill Hall was the Bakers shop.... Mr Miller, Or Willdag Miller as we all fondly called him. At the weekend he made ice-cream and I remember running up on Saturday to pay for our Sunday treat - as no money was exchanged on Sunday ! On the big day we went to collect our ice-cream each one carrying a jug or dish - Bring Your Own meant 'container' at that time, so there was no problem with over packaging.
    That hill was known to all as Willdag's Hillie, and it was there we sledged as soon as it began to snow. But first we had to get our sledges ready- runners shining and Stickies made . We started off at the top near the Distillery, and ended further down. What a speed - and heaven help us if a horse and cart passed along Kinnairdie - some just sledged right through the horses legs !
    There would have been 30-40 children there all lining up ready for take off.
    When it got too full we would make our way to the Shore Road - with the harbour at the bottom, and more than once a sledger would end up in the water ! There was a knack to steering with the help of your stickie, but some of the boys got over-enthusiastic and just went for speed - Nothing changes !
    Wore out the toes om tackety boots every winter. Preferred to use them instead of stickies. Belly floppers were the thing

Default Wickside

opposite the backside

Default Wick streets

Chligh, We have mentioned several Wick street names here.
    Was there any in particular you would like to mention ?

Give a street name and we'll see what we can find .

Trinkie

Default hens street

Chligh, We have mentioned several Wick street names here.
    Was there any in particular you would like to mention ?

Give a street name and we'll see what we can find .

Trinkie
    trinkie great thread,as for wick side,might be wrong? is the street on thurso rd on right going in to langley park, called hens street.if so dose anyone know why.

Silverfox57, those streets are too new for me !
    I'll ask around though.
    Are you sure it's called Hens Street - anyone know ?

Trinkie

Silverfox57, those streets are too new for me !
    I'll ask around though.
    Are you sure it's called Hens Street - anyone know ?

Trinkie
    sorry trinkie was wrong as asked postman today ,that street which has only two houses,in it is called langley lane, still think there is a street in wick called hen st

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast